“Good food, helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian, Pub, Nepali
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
“Good food, helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Have now been to this Nepalease restaurant twice and both times food was fab and the staff very helpful. I would recommend trying here especially as its a good taste mixture of Indian and Chinese influences, a real gem in Buckinghamshire.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Poole, United Kingdom
“Lovely pub, great service, fantastic food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

My partner and I were staying at the Kings Hotel last Friday and Saturday night. As we were eating in the hotel on the Friday we decided to check out the royal Oak with a view to eating there on Saturday night for my partners 50th birthday. We called into the pub on Friday afternoon and after a couple of pints of real ale for me and a few glasses of wine for my partner we decided to book a table for the Saturday night. I love Nepalese food having served with the Ghurka's in Hong Kong in the 1980's and having spent 2 months in Nepal. I ordered a soup starter whilst my partner had a marinated king prawn. Both starters were excellent, full of flavour and fresh tasting. For the main course we both had curries. I normally like really hot curries but asked for my curry to be cooked medium to hot. It was cooked exactly as I asked, medium hot with a touch of chilli heat. We had Nepalese special rice, garlic naan bread and a vegetable dish with our meals. All were excellent. Our plates and bowls were scraped clean as we did not want to leave anything behind. During the meal I got chatting to Navin Gurung, restaurant director and mentioned that it was my partners 50th birthday. A few moments later we heard the sound of a cork being popped and Navin appeared with 2 glasses of champagne. When I went to pay for my meal the barman asked me to wait a moment. All was revealed when the lights dimmed, happy birthday was played on the sound system and Navin appeared with a cake and candles along with a kukri to cut the cake. You should have seen the look on my partners face. It really made her day. I just wish that I lived nearer to Stokenchurch as I would make the Royal Oak my local. If you are staying in the area please give the Royal Oak a visit. You wont be disappointed.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
High Wycombe, England, United Kingdom
“Great food & friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Very nice Nepalease food, which makes a nice change from Indian & Chinease, small but nice friendly pub.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chiltern Hills UK
“an unusual and different cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Unless you knew it was there, you'd never think of it - it looks just like any other old village pub in the Chilterns.

Recommended by friends - expert in foodie matters - this modest pub also houses an excellent Gurkha restaurant - hence the unusual Nepalese cuisine [try Wikipedia for full explanation]

Seemed to us a cross between Indian and Chinese - very tasty, not too heavy and a change from the usual tandoori/peking/cantonese fare. Well worth a try, and very modestly priced. Attentive service and menu explained with great interest where help/advice needed.
Definately a 'find' to which we will return. interesting decor, photos and Gurkha memrobilia.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Milton Keynes
“Lovely evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My partner and I were staying for one night in the Kings Hotel and were looking for somewhere outside of hotel to eat. Reception staff told us about this place and we werent disappointed. Good food, very reasonably priced and the wine was also very reasonably priced. We had a good night and the staff are very attentive an friendly.

Visited April 2013