We loved Black Sheep Inn. It feels like an old-time Vermont ski lodge in some ways, with communal meals, various different lodging options, interesting and active people to talk with, but with the difference that they come from all over the world. This is not the easiest place to get to--we rented a car, but the road is pretty rough regardless of which direction you take to get to Chugchilan, so a larger car or 4x4 might have been a better idea. Or Black Sheep can arrange transportation from various places, or you can take the bus, but its schedule is not perfect.
Edmundo does indeed keep everything running smoothly and seems to care that everyone has a good time. We did the walk back from Quilitoa, and it was beautiful and interesting, even if it did take almost 5 hours. We hired a guide, and even though Miguel didn't speak much English, and we don't speak much Spanish, he was able to show us the local plants, crops, birds, and villages. We are not vegetarians, but the food was good, especially the breakfast scrambled eggs with onions and peppers, and the spinach lasagna and all the soups. And we appreciated the packed lunch.
We also loved our room at the top of the hill, with the amazing views, even if it did take some huffing and puffing to get there. But the woodstove was great for the late afternoons, and it was very quiet. We got used to the bathroom more quickly than we expected.
The village is interesting too; we were there for the Christmas pageant, which we watched much of one afternoon.
This place is not for everyone; there's no choice of menu, minimal housekeeping service, composting toilets, not everyone speaks English, and relatively expensive compared to some other places in Ecuador.
But for hiking, talking, eating, having a beer, and watching the view, it's great.
- Also Known As:
- Black Sheep Inn Ecolodge Hotel
- Black Sheep Inn Ecolodge Hotel Chugchilan
- Black Sheep Inn Ecolodge Ecuador/Chugchilan
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Affordable lodging in the heart of the rural Andes. Truly off the beaten path with spectacular views. Enjoy horseback riding, mountain biking & day hiking. Also delicious vegetarian cooking, home-baked deserts, sauna, zipline, family fun, and adventure vacation. Features include: solar panels, adobe construction, composting toilets, recycling, roof-water collectors, gray-water systems, organic gardens, community education & aid work, reforestation, erosion control and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Black Sheep Inn Ecolodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.