“Hotel on a shoestring is better than it presents itself.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Castlegate Hotel

Castlegate Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Athenry
Castlegate Hotel
You added Castlegate Hotel to your Saves list
Northgate Street, Athenry, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Athenry B&B and Inns
Ireland
“Hotel on a shoestring is better than it presents itself.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is one of these odd hotels I have occasionally encountered. Firstly it is advertised as a budged Hotel and I found it on one of the hotel booking sites. I doubted the keen rate quoted on line so I rang the hotel as the website showed only one room left. It was as quoted €35 per night with breakfast extra.

I have chided many a Trip Advisor reviewer who have sought out the cheapest price but expected five star standard. For this hotel my expectations were low but as I discovered were misdirected.

First I will start with the bedroom because this was really the reason I stayed here. It was number 14 and it was clean and modern with a TV that I could not find a remote for. It had a good sized bathroom with clean towels. It even had two sachets of shampoo which I was not expecting. The bed was comfortable so I had no complaints about my Saturday night's stay.

The hotel is located in a kind of car park just off a one way street in the town centre. There are no signs that indicate its location. In a strange arrangement of one way streets it is difficult to find. There is a supermarket next door at the rear of this car park. The location is a planning authority mortal sin who ever allowed development of this poor architectural worth in the curtilage of a medieval castle ruin.

The issues that I have with the hotel are; as another reviewer remarked, a dimly lit dreary reception area which was unattended except for a notice of a number to ring beside a telephone. The foyer, if that is what to call the entrance, was pleasant with light, seating and plants. The stairs are designed to be lit by a sizeable chandelier but all it had in its sockets were two small low energy bulbs, the rest were missing. The landing is quite OK but reliant on a light sensor to illuminate your way to your room via low wattage lighting.

Breakfast I can also describe as equally strange. The breakfast room is off the reception area and while attractive in its own way it was the small table with the 'continental' breakfast that took me by surprise. It contained a modest array of cereals, milk and some juices and a tray of a most uninviting sliced ham and little else. Tea or coffee was served by the receptionist from behind a small counter in the corner as was the toast. Again I refer to price as it was quite cheap and one could have gone next door to a bar that had obviously been part of the 'development' and had the so called 'full Irish breakfast' (or heart attack on a plate as I prefer to refer to it) for €7.95.

Access to the hotel out of hours was via a keypad lock. I returned to the hotel at about 5p.m on the Sunday and gained access this way. I was half way up the spooky stairs when a woman silently appeared at the foot of the stairs. Too Bates Motel-esque for me but she only wanted my room number as there were only two guest booked for the night. The hot water had been turned off so there was no shower and I contented myself with a visit to some local hostelries and a local eatery.

At 5.45 am the racket began as pallet truck after pallet truck was rolled along the concrete outside my room, delivering supplies to the supermarket. This continued intermittently until 8 o'clock when I quit and got up. I did not bother to either shave or shower so I do not know if there was hot water. I packed my bag and left.

The reception had a note with a mobile/cell phone number on it, the front door was locked and the place seemed deserted. I visited the pub next door and had the 'full Irish' as the hotel had a ‘help yourself’ arrangement that made me uncomfortable.

I am unsure if this is a hotel that is finding it hard to make ends meet but in either event it appears to be managed in a fashion that is not designed to attract customers except those looking for a bed for the night at B&B prices. However it does seem to garner good reviews from other Trip Advisor reviewers. This, nonetheless, is my experience and of equal value.

Room Tip: Rooms on the right of the entrance are in line with the goods inwards of the Centra Supermarket whic...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Receptionist very helpful in advising us where to go for a "real Irish" night out. We had a great time. Rooms adequate with good beds and tea and coffee making facilities. Close to all the historical places in Athenry.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Penzance, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

If you need easy access to Galway, I strongly recommend you stay here. I was working on the oustskirts of Galway and it was quicker & easier to stay here than in the city. (and a whole lot cheaper too!!)
Rooms are very clean, quiet and very friendly staff.
There is a pub next door that serves simple but fresh tasty food and again, is very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: The pub has a club night on saturdays, so try to stay on the side of the hotel nearer to the shop. H...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Caernarfon, North Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Just spent 2 nights in this lovely, old style Victorian b&b. I was pleasantly surprised by the room;
large, well furnished, good quality mattress & everything you need was provided. Continental
breakfast served by the lovely Babs who actually walked with me to the train station as I was late
& didn't know where it was. She even ran ahead & got the train driver to wait for me. That's what I call excellent customer service! Thank you so much Babs & Lorraine for all your help. We had a great time & hope to return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Having stayed several days at this hotel, I can understand the conflicting reviews. I arrived at 6.30pm, to find no one in reception. A young woman arrived after 20 minutes, having been walking the dog. She offered no apology for not being there. This was not the warm Irish welcome that I have known, having spent many holidays in Ireland.
I must say however, that the room itself (No. 12) was fine - a comfortable double bed, clean ensuite, tv and tea/coffee/kettle.The only problem being that it overlooked the supermarket loading bay, with some lorries arriving at 6am.
Breakfast was fine - I only expected continental - cereals, bread, toast, rolls & jam, yoghurts, juice, fruit,tea/coffee.
The following morning, I arrived at 8.30 for breakfast, there was no one in attendance in reception or the breakfast room. There was just enough water in the kettle for my pot of tea and a coffee for the other guest who appeared - with the empty water bottle sitting next to the kettle - no more to be found in the room at all . There was 'gone off' milk in jugs in the fridge, but fortunately some fresh milk in a container. No member of staff appeared before I left the room after 9am, or before I left the hotel for the day after 9.30. Now, I don't mind having to help myself at breakfast, but it does help if everything is available to be found.
The same woman appeared the next morning, with again no apologies for none attendance. The cereals which had run out were not replenished, despite the hotel being next to a supermarket.
On my final morning, there was a lovely Hungarian lady in attendance. She was happy and friendly, and despite there being a large number of guests, she went to each table & offered tea/coffee, fresh toast, and 'did we need anything else ' - that's the kind of reception I expected in Ireland.
The hotel entrance is actually found off the main road, through the car park. The entrance on the main road is the bar which was once part of the hotel, but is not now, despite what the notice in the hotel room states! The staff in the bar are great, and the meals are good value for money.
The main reason I stayed in the Castlegate hotel, was the price. I assume because it was the last room available for the days I wanted, it was very cheap. It was also in a good location for Galway, and for my travels in that area. However,I would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I had read some bad reviews about this place and was a bit nervous about booking but there was no need at all.

When we first got to reception we were attended to straight away by a nice woman who showed us around were breakfast was etc and then to our room. Breakfast seemed basic, not hot meals just cereal and fruit but we never actually ate here. The pub next door does an all day cooked breakfast anyway if thats what you're after. Our room was a bit old fashioned but was clean and had everything we needed, hairdryer, tv and so on. Bathroom was lovely!

The only other member of staff we met was the cleaner who was also very nice and asked did we need anymore towels or anything else.

Location wise, the hotel couldnt be better. Its right in the middle of Athenry with nothing more than a ten minute walk away. Centra is right beside the hotel too which is great for anything you may need. The town itself is quiet but only a short trip to Galway city centre.

I would recommend the Hop Inn (pub) and LaRustica (restuarant). We also visited the heritage center and Athenry castle which are both worth a look!

Overall this hotel is excellent for the price we paid (65e for two nights) and I would stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room nine. Had a double bed and a single.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ghlin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The most positive point was the lady in charge of the hotel during our staying: very interesting person, who really cared about us. We spent only one night (August 13th, 2012). Hotel has good location, close to several restaurants. A lot of space in the bedroom, clean shower, correct breakfast buffet.
That's a good place to stay if you're visiting Galway (only 10 min away by car).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Castlegate Hotel? Share your experiences!