“Don't miss this gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Horseback Africa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cullinan
Horseback Africa
You added Horseback Africa to your Saves list
Portion 12 & 13, Cullinan 1000, South Africa   |
Frankfurt
“Don't miss this gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Many thanks to the MacRae family for the wonderful welcome to their beautiful farm and for making the stay there such a memorable one. They really make you feel like family guests.

We stayed for two nights and joined the horseback safari and the lion walk.

Before the horseback safari Brandon took the time to understand how experienced everyone was and gave short briefing. We were then all allocated a horse. The ride was a wonderful experience. I never realised that horses were such political animals :-). You can really tell that the family loves their horses and looks after them well. Don't miss it even if you are an absolute beginner like me.

The lion walk was a lot of fun. It also started with a short introduction about the purpose of the walk and the lion project. Emma, the young lioness, then gave us a tour of the farm with brief intermissions for a wrestle with the very cute dog Beth. We were also introduced to the younger cubs (about 12 weeks old) and two baby lions that were just 10 days old. The fun did not stop there as we were allowed to feed to young servals, were shown a scorpion, a snake and a lizard.

There is a good selection of drinks at the bar, and the food was delicious. I am definitely looking forward to going back as soon as possible.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Millburn, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This was my best experience in Africa. I got to play with lions, servals and other exotic animals. Got to catch some nice bass. The highlight was the horse safari, which was an amazing way to get close to the animals.

The lodging and food were really nice and authentic. It was such a nice relief from the Disney Land experience at some of the posher facilities.

The best part was the MacRae family. Their passion for the work is infectious.

I went two hours out of my way for this day and a half experience, and it was definitely worth it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
St Leonards-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Horseback Africa is run by the warm and friendly MacRae family. They welcomed us with coffee and delicious homemade chocolate muffins on arrival and made us feel completely at home straight away.

Brandon gave us a ten minute talk about the horses we would be riding in the morning and I can honestly say I learnt more from him then about the psychology of approaching and riding a horse in that talk than I have ever learnt in my whole life! Despite being a beginner, I was encouraged to have a canter and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, filled with confidence by the caring Brandon! My boyfriend is an experienced rider so Brandon made sure he had an exciting gallop and wasn't held back by me.

Lunch was lovely and relaxed. We enjoyed burger and chips and a beer.

In the afternoon Colin MacRae gave us a talk about the lions. Like his son Brandon, the quick talk was hugely informative and enjoyable and we couldn't wait to meet the cubs. Actually walking with lions in the afternoon (and holding their tails!) and bottle feeding the cubs was truly extraordinary. We got some great photographs as well.

I fly as cabin crew and have been lucky enough to do some amazing trips around the world and this one of the best days out I have ever had. I can't recommend it enough. My partner and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Summerland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I had one day left of an all too short tour of South Africa when Horseback Africa was recommended to me and what good luck! Riding among the giraffes and antelope was an amazing experience. Brandon led myself, a beginner and several more experienced riders on a very educational and enlightening trip around the countryside.
Many thanks to Mavis, Owen, Theony and Colin for a wonderful time. I will certainly be back for a much longer stay.
PS Great food too!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I dont know how to start??,Firstly what an incredible welcome the Macrae family give you!
From the minute you arrive at this amazing place you are treated like you were an old friend.Theony,Brandon and Colin are amazing warm and friendly hosts putting you instantly at ease. After a very welcome cuppa we went out for a ride with Brandon and Mavis i rode Tennesse who was an absolute sweet heart,he kept us spellbound with his vast knowledge of where we were and the animals we saw.The genuine passion love and enthusiasm this man has is written all over his face he has a constant smile and i dont blame him.
Lunch was delicious,the accomadation was unique and spotlessly clean with views to die for, it is a true paradise they have worked so hard to create,even their dogs Beth and Jade were gorgeous and friendly they too seemed happy to meet you.
Saving the best till last has to be Colin and his lions...what a guy ..what he does not know about these animals isnt worth knowing.I was fascinated with his introduction talk he gave us and totally spellbound with walking with the lions and playing with the cubs..ask about the Macdonalds look?you have to now..i found this hilarious...ive been all over the world ive never even written a review before but this was the best place i have ever been in my life and im going back real soon a perfect time im still buzzing 3 days later.Thank you guys and Owen what a sweet guy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Johannesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

A place to visit where you can enjoy horseriding in the morning and in the afternoon walk with the lions. It is an awesome experience and one that a person never forgets. Colin, Theoni makes you feel part of the family from the minute you arrive and shares their knowledge on all the different animals. Lunch is delicious. It is truly a piece of paradise with lots to do.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

If you stay in one place in South Africa, make it Horseback Africa.

A wonderful place and inspirational hosts - Colin, Brendon and Theoni have become personal friends. They have created a paradise with so much to do - interact with lions, ride in the bush, fish and play polo. I've stayed asany weekends as i can over the last 18 months and brought my kids out for two weeks - they were in tears when they left, talk about their experience constantly and only want to come back here for future holidays!

Brendon is the most enthusiastic riding and polo teacher (and guy) on the planet as far as i'm concerned - he got me and 2 boys with no riding experience at all converted into polo addicts.

Thanks to all of you!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Horseback Africa? Share your experiences!