“FANTASTIC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of AROSEA Life Balance Hotel

You added AROSEA Life Balance Hotel to your Saves list
AROSEA Life Balance Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kuppelwies am See 355 | Val d'Ultimo, Via Santa Valburga, 39016 Ultimo, Italy   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Ultimo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Turin, Italy
“FANTASTIC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I just spent a weekend with my wife in this hotel....simply wonderful...the room was really very beautiful, the SPA area was astonishing, very clean, very quiet, very well organized...the gym was equipped with brand new machines...as it concern the food we went out for dinner so I can not give a judgement about that, but the breakfast was one of the best I ever had...the buffet was enough for breakfast and lunch...in conclusion...a fantastic way to spend a weekend in the mountains and to enjoy an amazing SPA....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Another perfect stay in Arosea. Beautiful room (we were upgraded to a suite), excellent food with lots of choices from healthy to local delicacy, very nice and welcoming hosts, beautiful sauna area. If at all there is anything i could criticice, then this would that there was no more yoga clas in the afternoon (at least not during my stay).
To sum up: I can absolutely recommend this hotel to everyone looking to get a way from the hectic city life and enjoying a wonderful, relaxing time out. You will not regret it....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We picked this hotel on the recommendation of a friend to accommodate our weekend of mountain biking in Sud Tyrol. It paid off! This is a really nice wellness hotel and is located in a beautiful area. It also has a great spa with many different features. We found the mountain biking in the local mountains to very challenging with enough different trail options to keep us busy for the four days we were there. Everything about the hotel was top notch; spectacular service and friendly staff, very clean, and great food and variety of meals. The rooms were very clean, spacious, and had very nice bath/shower areas. The attention to detail and involvement of the owners on all aspects of the hotel was very evident. They were very friendly and readily available to provide insight and tips on the area whenever we asked. We even had the opportunity to get Thomas (owner) out on a ride with us and take advantage of his knowledge of the local trails. I would recommend this hotel to everyone; families, couples, and even friends just on an outing. We stayed here in early September and would love to come back and check out the winter scene. We all agreed we would recommend this hotel to our friends.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Gauting, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We were a group of friends going here for a long week-end of mountain biking. Arosea provided a perfect base camp for our adventures. We were given great support in selecting the nicest routes (including personal guiding from the owner), a set of helpful maps and perfect support at the hotel. Very good food, a perfect SPA and massages allowed us to regenerate between the work-outs.

I can strongly recommend this hotel for families, couples or friends wanting to get away for a period of time in the mountains.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

this hotel resort is absolutely lovely in every way. the staff is friendly, helpful, and always attentive, and the owners go out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable. rooms are spacious and comfortable, and it's worth getting the ones with the private sauna! all rooms have a tap connected to a local mineral spring, but if you'd like sparkly mineral water, no problem -- bottles are available in several locations around the property at no charge.
Arosea is a total concept -- there are plenty of physical fitness opportunities both outside in the gorgeous Alpine environment, or at the property with a fully-equipped gym and group fitness classes. the indoor swimming pool connects to the outdoor natural lake, and the several saunas are amazing. there are even quiet rooms with giant swings suspended from the ceiling. as for the food -- it is consistently 5-star. the chef is inventive without being precious about it, and one can choose from different menus depending on how heartily you wish to eat and/or dietary concerns. much of the food is locally sourced.
from the natural sheep wool carpets and the untreated pine of the building, to the organic microgreens grown on the property and the sheep's milk soap in the bathrooms, Arosea is all about relaxing in harmony with yourself and with the natural surroundings. it is not at all on the "beaten path" but going there is well worth the trip, and you will be able to experience one of the loveliest parts of South Tyrol from a truly special place.

Room Tip: all the rooms have gorgeous views and huge balconies.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Lehavot haviva kibbutz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

most relexing place for couples mostly . amazing view all around and very kind & helpful staff

Room Tip: 2'nd & third floor - suits have a sauna
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stay there New Year's eve for 2 nights. We made the choice since we did appreciate the concept of life balance and their internet site made us believe this is a special place in the top segment, also evidenced by the high prices.

We arrived and got a nice and quiet room on the 2nd floor at the end of the building which was the most quiet location. The rooms are tastefully decorated and we did particularly like the bathroom and shower. The only thing missing was a mini-bar and for that price level (EUR 260++ per Person and night), we would have expected a small welcome gift such as a fruit basked or bottle of champagne, especially given it was Dec 31.

Given our arrival at 8pm, we were told that we are a bit late for the new year's eve dinner but we could still have all courses of the meal. That was indeed a very surprising statement since I am not used to being told when to eat at a hotel that claims to be 5 star luxury. We were given a table in the main restaurant. The proximity of other guests was bothersome, mainly due to the conversations of my table neighbourhrs I am not interested in at all. On top of that, their live-DJ music and his inappropriate comments were broadcasted into the dining room over the intercom at a way too loud level. I really don't know what that has to do with life-balance since I felt like sitting at a fast food court at an airport. The menu card mentioned a salad buffet. That was apparently gone by 8pm. Also totally unacceptable. We then received our starters, soups and main course pretty much one after the other. Within little time, the dining experience was over. I was still hungry and had to "stuff" myself with the narrow selection of cheeses from the buffet. The courses were small and anything but high-end. In addition, the ingredients were nothing special and the combination of dishes makes me believe the cook has still not completed his apprenticeship. Nevertheless, they constantly tell you that your food is healthy and has been washed with any kind of stones and essences in order to get its special life-balance touch. I honestly think none of that is true and even if they have a pink stone sitting in the kitchen somewhere, that does not make the food as such any better or the portions bigger. The wine selection was poor and overpriced. I am wiling to pay a lot for good wine but less willing to pay even more for bad one. Towards the end of the nutrition sequences, the wife of the director showed up and gave us a balloon and a pen; we were kindly asked to write our wishes for the new year on it and meet her and the other guests at midnight in front of the building so we could all let the balloons fly. Note: at that stage, Madame appeared to see no reason at all to ask us if we enjoyed the meal (not asking for feedback is by the way one of the most constant things at the Arosea).

Given the meal was over by 11pm, we had to "kill" one hour before the announced ceremony. We thought, we'd go to the lobby or fireside bar for an after-dinner drink. Such a place does not exist. We ended up sitting in a dark corner, next to where all the kids were playing and running around. On the other side, the DJ was slowly getting in shape and playing all kinds of highly unsuitable music for that particular event. There was a small bar where one could get drinks. The latter though was challenging since the wife of the director was very busy drinking champagne herself with her buddies so that regular paying guests were given a feeling of not being welcomed and clearly 2nd priority. Do I need to pay EUR 260+ for that per night?

By midnight, my fiancé an myself went outside to let the baloons fly. While we and a few other guests were waiting, the DJ inside nearly screamed his lung out counting down towards midnight. The owner couple was still busy drinking and entertaining their friends. The announced ceremony simply did not take place and that also did not appear to be of interest to any of the staff. By the way, roughly a fifth of the balloons did not fly because they were of poor quality. What a nice and joyful start in the new year watching my wishes go up in fire on a parking lot ...... certainly another component of life-balance as well.

We then returned to the so-called "lobby bar". Since I wanted to cheer with my fiancé, I tried to order two glasses of champagne. That again took nearly 10 minutes for the reasons cited above. I then managed to disturb a staff member who poured champagne in a burgundy glass. The champagne flutes were used by staff to drink so regular guests were given whatever was readily available. At that stage, we took the glasses, went back to our room and went to sleep before 1am since such a bad start in the new year does not need any further extension at all. Needless to say that during the entire party, no one spoke up and wished all the guests a happy new year. Unless you are a close friends of the owner, you are feeling like a tolerated elemented to financially contribute to their private entertainment.

Next morning: Woke up at 09.45, took a shower and ran down for breakfast. Breakfast was, as we could read in the info brochure, until 10.30. I would expect a 5 star property to serve extensive brunch on New year's day. Once downstairs, I noticed the big crowd so I asked a staff how long breakfast would be served today. He replied that normally until 10.30 but today until about lunch time. Indeed very funny. Heaven knows when that decision was made and how it was communicated but I did get angry not having been informed at any stage. The breakfast buffet was average and also there, lots of noise and nothing special. It had a touch of "mass tourism" and I would compare it again to a very simple regular breakfast you would get in a 2 up to 3 star hotel. Of course without all the big life-balance announcement.

By lunchtime, we wanted to go to the Spa. The Spa was closed and would only open at 1pm. Probably another unique approach to life-balance: opening a Spa at 1pm. So my finacé was interested in a massage. When walking to the reception and massage rooms, we were noticed but no one showed any interest in offering a spa menu. We concluded that the service is not available today, for whatever reason.

The only thing one could do was going for a walk which is what we did.

After the walk, we came back and were looking forward to a cup of tea and some cake. Any Belvita property claims they offer their guests a 3/4 pension which by definition includes a warm buffet with light snacks. At the Arosea, to enrich your life-balance and above all their revenue situation, you get a small selection of teas and some fruits. There was a plate with cakes but no knives and no one next to it offering anything to the guests. The staff at the other corner behind the bar watched me for some time. I then went to get a knive and wanted to cut two pieces. That was the moment of the attack. The staff member jumped towards the cake plate and said that this is not self-service and it will be charged. We then asked him why he needed to watch me standing there for 5 minutes trying to find out the deal before he would help. The answer was a variety of useless excuses all resulting in him telling us that he had to party until 8am. Do I care? You know the answer. So we had a tea and went to the Spa (that was meanwhile open).

At the Spa, we wanted to go for a swim. The pool was so cold that we weren't sure if that is a diving tub for after the sauna or a swimming pool. No way I even consider putting my to in that ice water pool. So we went on to the Sauna. They have several Saunas. Concept is ok but they would have needes some help in making sense out of it. No one heats up a steambath to the temperature of Sauna etc. etc. The entire Spa area is not well designed since you have no place to store you belongings and the area around the saunas and showers can get easily congested with only a few people there. Of course, unlike anywhere else, small children (at max 6 year old) without their parents also enrich your Spa experience.

We went back to the room and killed the time until dinner. The menu which we had to decide upon already at breakfast was a very similar experience to the new year's eve dinner the night before. Creations from the chef which make no sense, ingredients that do not go together and a way worse service then the night before since, I assume, all staff had to party until the early morning hours. The promised 6 courses were only 5 since they made a smart move and consider the selection of bread as one course. This is rediculous. I don't want to go into the detail but that was the worst dining experience in a long time.

We ordered a bottle of red and went on our room. At the end the only place where one is not surrounded by sheer crazyness, noise and unmotivated staff serving average meals. As on the day before the evening ended soon and we went to sleep.

Departure day has arrived. We couldn't wait to leave! I don't have to mention anything about the breakfast because I take you can judge what a delightful experience it must have been having read my summary up to here. The speciality here was two-fold: Milk that had expired on the previous day that was still served and the owner's wife running around the buffet area and making loud announcements of various content. Anyhow, I am not interested in being forced to hear what she did last evening, what she is about to do now and which mineral water is best against a hang-over. Indeed a very different perception of life-balance.

We never packed our bags as fast as that morning. The torture was over at 11am by paying a bill of EUR 1100.00 for two nights (two persons) in a standard room.

I can simply advise anyone: Do not every consider going there. It is a disspointment in all areas. The region Alto Adige is beautiful and I am more than sure, having seen other hotels in the region, that just about anywhere else, you would be much better off.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to AROSEA Life Balance Hotel? Share your experiences!