“Spectacular views of Auckland City” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Auckland's Waitakere Estate, Heritage Boutique Collection

You added Auckland's Waitakere Estate, Heritage Boutique Collection to your Saves list
Auckland's Waitakere Estate, Heritage Boutique Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   573 Scenic Drive, Waiatarua 0650, New Zealand   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Waiatarua
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Spectacular views of Auckland City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Fantastic and spectacular views from this estate within the rain forest of the Waitakere's. Greeting on arrival was friendly and welcoming and full of relevant information on activities available during our stay. Sadly, a very stormy afternoon and evening put a stop to us exploring the many walks in and around the area. Dinner was tasteful and staff very attentive. We enjoyed our night away and would fully recommend staying.

Tip: watch your GPS directions, it took us to the back entrance where we came across a locked gate, upon ringing reception, they kindly sent staff to unlock for us. Otherwise we would have to had turned around and drive an hour to the front gate. Reception advised this happens to a few of their guests.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AucklandsWaitakereEs, Manager at Auckland's Waitakere Estate, Heritage Boutique Collection, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for your review.

We have tried corresponding with Google to redirect customers to our Scenic Drive address with no success.

The Opanuku Road entrance is a private driveway and not always accessible to the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
New Plymouth, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

What a great experience and yet only moments from Auckland city. This was memorable from the moment we arrived drving down through the forest and suddenly out to the hotel carved out of the bush and perched on the point with the city below. The welcome at the front desk was the best we have ever experienced, friendly, extremely efficient and gave us all the details that we needed. Our rooms were very recently upgraded and very comfortable. Sitting in the lounge in front of a roaring log fire we felt a million miles away. The degustation dinner was an enjoyable experience and the fully cooked breakfast (included) the following morning just capped off a great night. Just wish we could have had longer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
It's the quality of a stay that's important, not the quantity.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future when another opportunity presents itself.

Don't leave it too long !
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We are pensioners and my dear wife's 70th birthday was coming up, we wanted somewhere extra special to go to in Auckland. We had family coming in from overseas and a group of 20 guests in total.
We checked the Internet and THE WAITAKERE ESTATE took our fancy as it was historic, was different and the glowing reveiws on the food and service closed the deal.
Booking was a delightful experience the girls at reception were very helpful and contract and deposit was paid.
On the day we were treated like royaly, had a bar an and our own waitresses. Meal was delicious drinks were cold and everyone aged from 12 to 81 enjoyed there lunch and the experience, views and ambience. THANK YOU WAITAKERE ESTATE 5 stars.

Room Tip: Winding drive way over a kilometre take care, good parking. Try the venison shanks on mash, deliciou...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you Arthur. We were delighted to host your wife's birthday luncheon. Wherever possible we attempt to meet and exceed customer expectations.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Was given this weekend getaway as a huge thank you ... Was teally surprised to come down the huge drive not knowing what was in store... Had a beautiful light picturesque room over looking the pool... Was glorious... Reception was great .. The lady remembered the conversation on he bookng,,, was a bit dissapointed at the actual buildings a bit run down. But it looks like they are working on that.. Had a coffee out on the deck by the dinng room... Really nice... Had a massage in our room was well done...and then a 6course degustation meal for dinner... Wow very small portions. My husband was sure we were off to find mc donalds after BUT could not fit another thing in after course no 6 .... Was really yummy and really well presented.. Decore in dining area really outdated but the vew was amazing only thing we could fault was that there were no .loungers to sit byy the pool would have been lovely

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Degustation menus traditionally are small portions with several courses. We are pleased you were not disappointed by the offering.

Your additional comments are noted with thanks.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Picture perfect location, far from the madding crowd, yet only a short drive to great cafes.
Staff friendly, informative and go the extra mile.
Only recommendation would be to change the bed covers to something modern and light colored- white covers would freshen up the dated garden rooms.
Thanks for a Great time with my teenage daughters.

• Stayed April 2013
AucklandsWaitakereEs, Manager at Auckland's Waitakere Estate, Heritage Boutique Collection, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. Garden Apartments 2 and 3 will be refurbished over the winter months after which we hope we can welcome you and your family again for a return visit.
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

we came across this place whilst looking on the web for somewhere to have a special dinner .
the view from the rather plush dining room was one of the most beautiful I have come across.
However it was the menu and the food that made the evening that much more special.
I had the French onion soup and my wife had the duck cigar. Not a morsel was left. It was one of those menus that you get every now and then that makes you want a piece of everything.
The main course was just as exciting. The duck was perfect, just slightly pink, and the truffle fries were to die for. my wife had the salmon, which was moist and not overcooked( how do they do that?). I have read the previous review and the guy must be from a competing restaurant and rightfully he is frightened. This place will be the'go to place' for anyone who wants a fantastic view and a dining experience to die for. Good luck Waitakere

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
AucklandsWaitakereEs, Manager at Auckland's Waitakere Estate, Heritage Boutique Collection, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for your favourable review and keep on spreading the word.

We hope you'll return to the hotel in the near future.
Pukekohe, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was on a business trip to Henderson and wanted somewhere to stay, upon arrival I was mistaken for a workman ( I was wearing my company uniform) when I explained that I was a paying guest I was greeted by an OH! I got told off for parking my car by reception also ( there is no clear area to park your car) Ah well, let's just say I put it behind me and wanted to enjoy some relaxation while not working, after all it is in a most beautiful spot and I did get an upgrade from a loft to a deluxe room. That evening I thought I would enquire about dinner, by this time my partner had joined me we were greeted by a very brusque waiter who made us feel most unwelcome so we decided to drive into Henderson and eat there.
The next day I was working but upon arrival back to the hotel found the room had not been serviced! I did get an apology from reception she told me they only had one girl on and she would get to our room next - so decided to go for a walk. We were tired that evening and didn't fancy driving into Henderson so decided to chance the restaurant. I booked a table for 7.45pm. Upon arrival we stood around waiting for about 5 minutes to be attended to all the time the dining guests were looking at us in the end I went to reception and asked if anyone was in the dining room, the waiter was on reception! we were told somebody would be there to greet us so eventually we got seated I was handed a menu but upon opening did not contain a menu! by this time the trail of negative events had left me feeling angry! (little concern by the staff) still they can't cock the cooking up surely? not at these prices! well let's just say that the waitress could not remember what was in the dishes when the dishes did arrive they were not as described, I was expecting prosciutto with my salmon as described in the menu however I got mussels!! the flavour? if you like everything smoked to within an inch of it's life your in luck, when I say everything I mean EVERYTHING!! sauces and all! I have to say the meal was awful! the standard of food for the price charged is a complete rip off! I WILL NOT BE COMING BACK!!! The impression I got was that they did not have enough staff on! My problem? NO! When we complained I just got a oh we are very sorry - the least they could of done is knock something off the bill!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
This review and that indicated below were submitted by the same couple.

Our award winning Chef has a menu orientated towards discerning diners and introduces an assortment of flavours. The only menu item with a smoked potato mash was the salmon dish selected by the guest. The description was clearly indicated on the menu. If smoked flavours were not to the guests preference there were many other items on the menu better suited to his palate.

Positive feedback on the menu and the new Chef have been received by guests and we refer you to other reviews on Trip Advisor received by satisfied customers.

The breakfast buffet is more varied than indicated and includes fresh fruit, dried fruits and yoghurt etc.

To prospective guests, we recommend you refer to our menus on the website to form your own opinion.

Been to Auckland's Waitakere Estate, Heritage Boutique Collection? Share your experiences!