“Peaceful weekend getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Auckland's Waitakere Estate, Heritage Boutique Collection

You added Auckland's Waitakere Estate, Heritage Boutique Collection to your Saves list
Auckland's Waitakere Estate, Heritage Boutique Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   573 Scenic Drive, Waiatarua 0650, New Zealand   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Waiatarua
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Peaceful weekend getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Picture perfect location, far from the madding crowd, yet only a short drive to great cafes.
Staff friendly, informative and go the extra mile.
Only recommendation would be to change the bed covers to something modern and light colored- white covers would freshen up the dated garden rooms.
Thanks for a Great time with my teenage daughters.

• Stayed April 2013
AucklandsWaitakereEs, Manager at Auckland's Waitakere Estate, Heritage Boutique Collection, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. Garden Apartments 2 and 3 will be refurbished over the winter months after which we hope we can welcome you and your family again for a return visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

we came across this place whilst looking on the web for somewhere to have a special dinner .
the view from the rather plush dining room was one of the most beautiful I have come across.
However it was the menu and the food that made the evening that much more special.
I had the French onion soup and my wife had the duck cigar. Not a morsel was left. It was one of those menus that you get every now and then that makes you want a piece of everything.
The main course was just as exciting. The duck was perfect, just slightly pink, and the truffle fries were to die for. my wife had the salmon, which was moist and not overcooked( how do they do that?). I have read the previous review and the guy must be from a competing restaurant and rightfully he is frightened. This place will be the'go to place' for anyone who wants a fantastic view and a dining experience to die for. Good luck Waitakere

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
AucklandsWaitakereEs, Manager at Auckland's Waitakere Estate, Heritage Boutique Collection, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for your favourable review and keep on spreading the word.

We hope you'll return to the hotel in the near future.
Pukekohe, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was on a business trip to Henderson and wanted somewhere to stay, upon arrival I was mistaken for a workman ( I was wearing my company uniform) when I explained that I was a paying guest I was greeted by an OH! I got told off for parking my car by reception also ( there is no clear area to park your car) Ah well, let's just say I put it behind me and wanted to enjoy some relaxation while not working, after all it is in a most beautiful spot and I did get an upgrade from a loft to a deluxe room. That evening I thought I would enquire about dinner, by this time my partner had joined me we were greeted by a very brusque waiter who made us feel most unwelcome so we decided to drive into Henderson and eat there.
The next day I was working but upon arrival back to the hotel found the room had not been serviced! I did get an apology from reception she told me they only had one girl on and she would get to our room next - so decided to go for a walk. We were tired that evening and didn't fancy driving into Henderson so decided to chance the restaurant. I booked a table for 7.45pm. Upon arrival we stood around waiting for about 5 minutes to be attended to all the time the dining guests were looking at us in the end I went to reception and asked if anyone was in the dining room, the waiter was on reception! we were told somebody would be there to greet us so eventually we got seated I was handed a menu but upon opening did not contain a menu! by this time the trail of negative events had left me feeling angry! (little concern by the staff) still they can't cock the cooking up surely? not at these prices! well let's just say that the waitress could not remember what was in the dishes when the dishes did arrive they were not as described, I was expecting prosciutto with my salmon as described in the menu however I got mussels!! the flavour? if you like everything smoked to within an inch of it's life your in luck, when I say everything I mean EVERYTHING!! sauces and all! I have to say the meal was awful! the standard of food for the price charged is a complete rip off! I WILL NOT BE COMING BACK!!! The impression I got was that they did not have enough staff on! My problem? NO! When we complained I just got a oh we are very sorry - the least they could of done is knock something off the bill!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
This review and that indicated below were submitted by the same couple.

Our award winning Chef has a menu orientated towards discerning diners and introduces an assortment of flavours. The only menu item with a smoked potato mash was the salmon dish selected by the guest. The description was clearly indicated on the menu. If smoked flavours were not to the guests preference there were many other items on the menu better suited to his palate.

Positive feedback on the menu and the new Chef have been received by guests and we refer you to other reviews on Trip Advisor received by satisfied customers.

The breakfast buffet is more varied than indicated and includes fresh fruit, dried fruits and yoghurt etc.

To prospective guests, we recommend you refer to our menus on the website to form your own opinion.
Pukekohe, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The hotel is located high up in the Waitakere Ranges west of Auckland. It has spectacular views across the Waitemata Harbour from almost every room. The hotel describes itself as a boutique hotel - ha ha ha!

The receptionist was very pleasant and helpful. Car parking is in short supply and if you're unlucky you make have a 100m + walk from the overspill car park. The room was comfortable and space, the bathroom a little cramped and with a bizarre partition that opened into the bedroom area. The toiletries were just inadequate - one small (less than 20ml) bottle of body wash for two people. The refreshment tray had a very poor selection of tea and coffee. There was a cafetiere but no ground coffee and only 4 tea bags. I'm sure Reception would have supplied more but why should guests be responsible for stocking the rooms? These are minor gripes.

The restaurant is the real let down. The cooked breakfast is delicious. For just $6 less the continental breakfast is poor. Three choices of cereal, two choices of canned fruit, three choices of fruit juice and 2 small pieces of toast per person. The coffee was so weak it wouldn't keep anyone awake!

To eat in the restaurant in the evening the first hurdle is the head waiter. On our first night we asked to look at the menu before booking and he got very huffy so we drove the 15 minutes into Henderson to eat and had a lovely meal. The second night we wee tired so we booked a table. We arrived five minutes early and spent that five minute searching for a staff member to seat us. We retreated to the reception to see what was going on. Very unprofessional. When we finally were seated I asked what the fish of the day was and our waiter didn't know. More unprofessionalism.

I ordered the fish of the day which was snapper served with smoked ratatouille and tomato ketchup (yes it tasted like the bottled stuff). My partner ordered salmon with prosciutto except there wasn't any prosciutto but there were three mussels. There were just two tastes on the plate: the grilled fish and the smokey flavour given to all the vegetables. I left my ratatouille. It was inedible. When the plates were collected no one showed any concern that our plates weren't empty.The deserts were fine except mine was spoilt by what tasted like crushed coco pops!

Bearing in mind this place describes itself as a 'boutique' hotel and our final bill for two nights, breakfast each day and one evening meal was a shade under $700, the value for money is poor. We felt we were paying out just to keep he owners in their lifestyle. We were proudly told they had a new chef. They need a replacement, preferable one who knows something about food and flavours. Not a nice experience.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

What a great surprise to see sign on the side of Scenic Drive saying HIGH TEA NOW ON .After walking in the bush for 2 hours it was a fantastic drive down through the bush to find a Beautiful Hotel with a fantastic veiw all over Auckland.We Loved the Experence and will call again........

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Tauranga, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here one night, which was probably not enough. Check in was quick and the service was of a high standard. The room was well-appointed and clean. The views are amazing from anywhere (balcony, restaurant, even from the carpark). We had a six course degustation dinner, which was very nice, although we missed some good wine suggestions to go with the meal. In saying that, the wine list was nothing to complain about, so we ended up with a nice wine anyway. There are nice walks around the estate and enough to choose from in the surrounding area. We will definately come back and recommend to others.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Traveled in on motorbikes which was a bit daunting due to the steep winding entrance road. As far as I could see all rooms had an amazing view of Auckland. Magic to sit out on balcony with a drink at dusk watching the lights grow brighter. Dinner was fantastic. Husband said best soup he'd ever had (and he's a soup maker!). Reasonable priced dinner. Breakfast was very pricey ($30ea) but very tasty. Had a number of the freshly baked croissants. Rooms were spacious, bed very comfortable. Would definitely love to spend a couple of days there. Perfect relaxing ambiance. Shame you have to pay for wifi....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Auckland's Waitakere Estate, Heritage Boutique Collection? Share your experiences!