“Find it and enjoy!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Vegetarian, Pasta
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Il Casale is situated on a hillside in the green heart of Umbria, immersed among the olive groves and oak woodland on the slopes of Mount Pausillo, looking out over the countryside around Lake Trasimeno. It is a delightful area, ideal for relaxing and enjoying the unspoilt landscape, and tasting traditional local dishes, prepared with natural ingredients, the menu changing with the seasons
Castiglione del Lago, Italy
“Find it and enjoy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

We are an american couple who live in this area of Italy.

There are a lot of good restaurants in Italy. There are even a lot of great ones. Il Casale is more then a great restaurant. It is unique. It has great food that is unique in its preparation and presentation. The location is also unique. It requires some effort to find for the first time. Believe me, it will get easier each time because of what lies at the end of your drive.

The bread is baked fresh every day. The menu is varied and every dish we've tried is exceptional. We have gotten more discriminating in our taste, as we've lived here, but it just enhances our appreciation of the food, the location, the restaurant itself and, most of all, our appreciation of the owner, Pina. It is like going to the home of a kind and generous friend who happens to be a great chef.

This restaurant is a great find for us. We take visiting friend to il Casale and it becomes their favorite too! We have noticed that it is also the favorite of the Italians. The Italian people are very family oriented and we see that Il Casale is a destination for special events for the Italian families that we know. Don't take my word for it, take theirs!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Cocoa Beach, Florida
“Words cannot express . . . (but I will try)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

What a heavenly meal we have just had! Simply fabulous. Set high in the hills of Umbria, right outside of Paciano sits a little slice of paradise.

Let's start with the ambiance--a cool breeze rustling around a terrace surrounded by foliage and an outstanding vista. Friendly service and a totally relaxed and happy atmosphere. Somehow it is both family friendly AND romantic (I never thought that could be possible). While there were other tables on the terrace with us, we never felt crowded and it was never noisy.

The friendly waitress deserves an entire page of praises, but unfortunately I was too busy eating the food to get her name. She will make you feel completely at home and enthusiastically welcomed.

But the food is the real draw. Authentic Umbrian cuisine cooked lovingly by "Mamma", who will peek her head out of the kitchen to make sure everyone is happy and the food is cooked perfectly. Which it is. All of it. From freshly cooked bread straight out of the oven to the fabulous dishes, we ate until we couldnt eat any more. Of particular note must be the polenta with cheese and truffles. I always thought my life was complete before I tasted this masterpiece. My husband got a gnocchi made from beans instead of potatoes (classic Umbrian style) with a shrimp sauce.

The danger in eating here is that your husband may wish to propose to "Mamma". Dont ask me how I know.

We will be returning very soon to try new dishes, but I couldnt wait to write my review until after the second meal. I have no doubt the next dishes will be as mouthwateringly tasty as the ones we experienced today.

I should also list the hours, which I made a point of asking about since we had trouble finding them online and just kept our fingers crossed that we would be there when it was open. They are open every day EXCEPT FOR WEDNESDAYS. They open from 12-2 for lunch (note that they do not CLOSE at 2, but that 2 is their last seating) and from 7-10 for dinner. You will want to schedule plenty of time to linger and talk. Meals are large and the view is so beautiful that even fast eaters will wish to lounge a bit.

This restaurant is a destination on its own. It is also listed as a Bed and Breakfast and would likely be a great spot. Since we have found our own spot in Paradise (review to come later) at a different spot, we didnt need to stay, but I would recommend a atay in the area.

In short, DO NOT MISS THIS GEM. It was one of the best meals Ive ever had.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Estes Park, Colorado
“Beautiful countryside setting for delicious meals!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Enjoyed several lunches here... Giusse's wood fire roasted potatoes & onions were so delicious, great pasta dishes, nice vino, wonderful desserts... and such a tranquil setting sitting out on the terrace, looking out at Paciano & Lake Trasimeno, & the countryside in between. Brought several friends here - we all enjoyed ourselves immensely!

Visited June 2013
Paris
“local and delicate dishes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

very delicate umbrian cuisine. I will remember the bean gnocchi with truffle sauce for the rest of my life !
staff was very friendly too.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jervis Bay, Australia
“Fabulous Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Great family run restaurant with fabulous views over Umbria. The Truffle baked potatoe was delicious!

Visited June 2013