“SUPER EVENING” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
sauze d'oulx
“SUPER EVENING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

I last visited La Contea with a group of Norwegian friends in October. We met for an apperitiff in the small enoteca across the road (Bravo Luca). A super evening with fine food and wine! We specially ordered Fritto Misto alla Piemontese as main course but we had a small starter of a very very tasty Tripe and of course dessert of La Contea with the little dedication written in chocolate on the plate. The service as always was first class.
Grazie mille a Claudia Tonino Alessandro e tutti!!

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Seattle, WA
“A delicious experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

Sounds like some have had very bad experiences at this restaurant, but I can only speak glowingly about it. I recently enjoyed a multi-course meal there with colleagues, and each course was stunning and a delight. The service was attentive and friendly, not overbearing but just the right touch. One dish in particular, a gnocchi in a cheddar basket with truffle shavings, was enough to bring tears to the eyes! A wonderful night in every way.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cannes
“Good wine, expensive food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

Food was ok but extremely expensive (pasta 20-25€, main courses around 30€). We tried their organic wine (barbera d'alba caplin) and it was excellent and later I bought a bottle in their wine shop. Service is supposed to be high level however with the tipical italian style that for some foreigners could even seem rude. In conclusion not worth the money and if you want to try the wine buy it in their wine shop.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“The restaurant from hell”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Years ago, we enjoyed La Contea and had good memories, but it has become the restaurant from hell, due largely to the egomaniac, arrogant owner. His overbearing, peasant attitude may somehow escape the notice of some guests, but if anything is questioned, such as the appalling service or food, he becomes aggressive and threatening.
After failing to produce a wine list and then almost demanding a quick order for food, he insisted in an arrogant way that food should not be chosen according to the wine, but vice versa. We pointed out that it was our choice, not his.
My partner decided not to have a starter, but her main course was immediately served with my first course, and when this was questioned, there was more aggression from our abusive host. He is a madman and should not be in charge of a street stall, let alone a pretentious restaurant.
When my main course arrived after a very long wait it was overcooked, cold and appeared to have been slightly warmed up in a microwave, so I sent it back immediately. There was then an explosive appearance from our crazy host who said we should leave the restaurant, and that we could vacate our room at the "hotel", neither of which we did.
So don't visit the restaurant from hell, and if by chance you do, sit quietly, don't complain and pay the overpriced bill without moving an eyebrow. Needless to say, I wish I had never gone back there.

• Visited May 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Shockingly Rude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

I must add my voice, unfortunately, to the other two bad reviews here (one in English, and one in Italian which urges readers to 'avoid this place like the plague') . We were treated in an appalling way by the owner. We ate generally well, but when we had complaints about one of the dishes which was served to us, the owner exploded into rage. It felt like a bad film, the owner screaming at us, his wife (?) holding him back, trying to calm him down, the other guests with their heads turned in astonishment. We were told to leave if we didn't like his restaurant. I've never been kicked out of a place before for asking a simple polite question. This experience seems to follow the same pattern as what other readers report: if you show any dissatisfaction whatsoever with the food, or have any questions about it, including sensible ones (regarding allergies, as the previous reviewer reported) you will quickly regret it! Better skip this restaurant altogether, a safer bet I think, and one less likely to ruin your day.

• Visited October 2010