“Right on the Sea!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Giosue a Mare

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Meta
Hotel Giosue a Mare
Save Saved
You added Hotel Giosue a Mare to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Caruso, 2 | Marina di Meta, 80062 Meta, Italy   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Meta
Dallas, Texas
“Right on the Sea!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This place is right on the sea and offers direct access to the beach. They do charge 5 euros a night for air conditioning if you want it and they charge for towels for the beach. I paid 3 euros a towel, but kept them. They also charge for wifi, which I did not pay for. So it seemed everything was available for a charge, including a beach chair, table, and umbrella. I did not mind as I only stayed one night and was ready to enjoy some time on the beach. They have a bar right by the beach entry and I bought a drink to have while I relaxed by the sea. They also have an area to shower off at once you are done at the beach. The beach is small and the sand is nearly black, but who cares when you enjoy yourself? I found the hotel to be nice and clean. I am used to European hotels and this is nice by most standards. Americans are not usually prepared to deal with small beds, small showers, and no air conditioning, but if they want to travel in Europe without paying a bundle, they will learn to deal with it. We also had dinner there and it was nice and the dining area looked out over a long balcony with beautiful sea views. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the sea.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I read all the reviews complaining of the cleanliness but did not find that to be an issue for us during our recent March 2013 group visit. To be fair a couple positives: clean, some rooms have a view. Negatives: long walk up/down hill if you are traveling by bus from main road to hotel lobby. Shower is a tall plastic almost portable like tiny shower. Bath towels are truly more like large paper towels and not the soft ones, the cheap ones. Food is just okay. Staff is so unfriendly from servers to front desk. You always feel like you are putting them out when you ask about anything. You have to lug your luggage up or down stairs. The hotel is built into the side of a cliff which is really cool but also makes it always feel so cold in all the rooms and common areas. We had a bedroom with a view but our friends were in a tiny crowded room with low ceilings and a stone wall view and nothing worked. You had to pay in advance for Internet and then complain because it would stop working. I would not return here personally. Maybe a one star rating for the view and the clean bathroom in our case.

Room Tip: Don't stay here but if you do insist on a view because the alternative is not good
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

ok ok, the hotel is not the best hotel i've ever been to, the beds were not good and the shower was the size of a shoebox, but if you've been to several hotels in Europe/Italy you would find this normal. So back to why i loved this hotel, I still can not get over the amazing view we had. We were lucky to get one of their bigger rooms with a pretty big balcony over looking the beach/water. AMAZING!!! The whole time there was very humbling and I fell in love with everything there. We left the doors opened the entire time we were there and the breeze coming in, the sound of the water was so peaceful and relaxing I would go back in a heartbeat. Note: this trip was taken back in 2006, i know i know, now is when i decided to write a review. But i still remember it like if it was last week.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This hotel was one of the nicest hotels I stayed in during my EF tour in Italy. The place was right on the beach, and was a quick walk to get ice cream. However the service was very poor. They charged us for extra towels, wi-fi, and pretty much anything else we needed. The food they served us wasn't very good, but everything was made up for with the amazing view from my room. It doesn't get any better than looking out at the night sky, the ocean, little boats out on the water, and lights twinkling from the Sorrento region.

I would stay at this hotel again, but I would hide from the staff on the beautiful beach because those people were not too friendly.....

Room Tip: I cannot stress how important it is to ask for a room on the ocean side of the hotel. Because the h...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
New Rochelle, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel as part of an EF tour group. The hotel is down a hill and a tour bus cannot get right next to the hotel. This means you need to drag your suitcase down and up the hill--about a 5 min walk. It is not steep and I found the down trip was a little harder than going back up.

There is white marble and tile everywhere--nice bright and clean. There is a small lobby with seating for 7-8 people.

The sliding window opens onto a balcony and the waves are breaking below--Very sleep inducing! Since it was winter and raining we did not go outside.

The meals were OK Nothing great but certainly not high quality. When I asked for an extra pillow, I was given one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
grand rapids, minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This hotel is located almost right on top of the beautiful sea. There is a lovely beach about 100 meters from the hotel and the balconies look out over the water and you can hear the pounding waves at night. The rooms are comfortable and the hotel is kind of cool how it is built into the side of the mountain. The restaurant is quite nice and the food is good. The staff is a bit serious but very attentive and they were helpful. After reading other reviews I was a bit concerned but I really enjoyed the hotel and would return. I stayed here as part of a tour with EF and all 32 of our group members really enjoyed the hotel. Some people complained on this site about the beach but less than 100 meters down the road there is a very nice and very clean place to swim and sun.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a nice balcony overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Granite Bay, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I have stayed here several times with EF Student groups and it always seems to be something. Two out of three times the elevators were "broken" until after we were moved in. The hotel has air conditioning but you have to pay for the controls to turn it on. One of my students had his volleyball, which he had bought to play with on the beach, confiscated upon arrival with the admonition that he would do damage. I even predicted this one on arrival. We were hit with a 120 euro charge, jsut as we were leaving, for a room which had a "broken electric shutter". The kids in the room didn't even know they had a shutter nor did they use it since we arrived after dark and left the next morning. We were not able to check it as they could not locate the key. EF uses this hotel a lot and just beware. You are treated poorly like second class citizens.

Room Tip: Beach views are preferable.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Giosue a Mare? Share your experiences!