Overall Hotel Alpenhof scores 3 stars (Poached eggs) – see grading system below:
1 star = Pickled egg
2 stars = Scrambled eggs
3 stars = Poached eggs
4 stars = Scotch eggs
5 star = Eggs Benedict
In Favour of Hotel Alpenhof (the Magnificent 7)
1. Location. A cracking, commanding position at the head of the valley. For Alpine skiing it’s a short (free) 2 minute bus ride to Gondola 1. For X-Country/ Langlauf skiing it’s a (free) 2 minute bus ride down the valley to an excellent Langlauf Loipe/ touring track.
2. Design. Traditional Alpine style-building, very well thought out and arranged over 8 floors (4 above & 4 below main hotel entrance level). Well-equipped and kitted out with masses of carpentry skills on show. The best bit is the indoor basketball/ badminton/ sports hall. Full height, glass viewing area for spectators. Magnificent. Games room with pool table, table footy and PS3 (no FIFA though which forced us to try new games – perfect)
3. Facilities. Excellent & fairly comprehensive facilities. Good size pool with adjacent steam room for approximately 4 people, ready supply of snacks, refreshments & towels. More extensive adult only sauna & solarium facilities.
4. Rooms. Spacious, comfy, gleaming
5. Food. Ample, Austrian fayre generally excellent, often included ‘foam’, occasionally trying-too-hard, a little repetitive (*see also poached eggs below)
6. Personal Touches. Sweet personal touches included a night time sledging activity hosted by the charming Dengg brothers, bedside book(s) available for purchase (including the excellent book by Franz X.Buhler “Out of the head and into the heart”)
7. Innovation. Wow. Brilliant idea. A ‘family roll of honour’ board proudly showing the family names of loyal customers. To qualify it appears you and your family need to have stayed a minimum of 10 times. Then you qualify for a badge showing the number 10 with your family name – displayed along with other families on the family roll of honour. Lots of 10’s, plenty of 20’s – some pushing 100! Amazing loyalty. Rewarding loyalty in this way - super idea. Also we liked the ‘meet the team photo board’ showing the Hotel Alpenhof staff.
Against (the Dreadful Duo)
1. Service. Somewhat chequered.
- Reception service – tip top & as it should be.
- Restaurant service – a muddle. It was unclear who was looking after us. It felt like a cast of thousands with no single person taking care of you. Service was somewhat brusque, formal and rushed (perhaps because dinner is typically 5 courses +). Don’t expect restaurant staff to be chatty, personable and conversational.
- Room Service – adequate but lacking attention to detail & refinement. We had to request a child’s bathrobe on Day 5 of our holiday – in spite of providing ages at check in on Day 1. Laundry service had to be specifically requested via reception (this was unclear from the laundry instructions and baskets in the room)
2. Food. Be warned. If you like poached eggs for breakfast, proceed with caution. On Day 1 poached eggs were cooked & served perfectly with a sprig of fresh parsley crowning each egg – Bravo chef. On Day 2 it took 3 requests and approximately 45 minutes for the requested poached eggs to arrive. When they did arrive they were undercooked/ raw – and without the crown of the previous day. On Day 3, poached eggs arrived reeking and swimming in vinegar-water (egg white appeared grey/ white). Ditto Days 4 and 5. Then gave up. Awkward.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Hotel Alpenhof Hintertux reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.