“Beautiful setting!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paternoster Dunes Boutique Guest House

You added Paternoster Dunes Boutique Guest House to your Saves list
Paternoster Dunes Boutique Guest House
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   18 Sonkwas street | Bekbaai, Paternoster 7381, South Africa   |
Special Price
MAY VALUE STAY
Ranked #3 of 18 Paternoster B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cape Town, South Africa
“Beautiful setting!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Fabulous guest house right on the beach. Breakfasts are heavenly and if the hosts are there, the owners make sure you're well settled and looked after. My only drawback was that a security officer bashed on my door in the middle of the night (11:30pm) when the owners were away because the alarm was going off and the officer didn't know who to contact or how to make it stop. I nearly died of fright! I certainly wasn't leaving my room so explained to him where the manager was staying and half an hour later it stopped. A small hiccup but it didn't detract from the experience. Decor is beautiful, wi-fi makes it an absolute pleasure and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Upstairs room (Cinnamon) is a lovely room away from the other rooms with gorgeous upstairs views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Gavin-Dunes, Owner at Paternoster Dunes Boutique Guest House, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Thank you Ashleigh for your review. It was great seeing you once again and we do apologise for having to leave you the 2nd night but at least you were in the capable hands of Keathlen, Sidney and the girls. A false alarm caused the mishap with the security coming to your door and not the managers but once they found each other it was explained and cleared up and we are sure it won't be repeated. We do look forward to your next visit though. Yours sincerely, Gavin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Fortunately for me, this is not my first or even second visit to this marvellous establishment. The trip up the west coast is well worth the effort.It is a comfortable 90 minute drive from Cape Town. On this occasion, I had the Rose Room on the ground floor, which opens up to the Dunes and a mere few strides away, the ocean. I had also booked an indulgent beauty treatment package prior to my arrival. This was a fabulous idea, as just after checking in I immersed myself in the fluffy, white towelling gown and slippers provided in all the rooms and checked in to the Beauty Clinic Therapy Room. I am not ususally one for facials, per say, but was treated with such care in the hands of their delightful resident therapist, that I thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Needless to say, relaxed as a puppy, I trotted off to my room and lazed on the gorgeous extra large bed, enjoying a complimentary cup of tea in the fine china provided, until I felt "revived" enough to don my clothing again and greet the world. That evening I made enquiries at a couple of local restaurants regarding a light supper. I settled for one on the beachfront, as all I wanted was something tasty and light as I was ready for a bit of TV and a delicious, sea-induced night's sleep. What I should have done, however, is made a request to "eat in " that evening. Hosts Deon and Gavin are both "stars" in the kitchen and have an innate flair when it comes to "giving people what they want!" In addition, they grow their own herbs and have a vast knowledge of simple, good and delicious fare. They are very welcoming hosts and one feels like part of the establishment. What I also made note of was the eclectic gathering of guests at breakfast the following morning. Young, middle-aged, old, honeymooners and singles. It seems that The Dunes hospitality crosses all age and cultural barriers. I must add here that the breakfasts are truly delicious, bountiful and the "cooked" part of the meal is varied daily !! Anyone with a desire to unwind and soak up the gentle way of life in the simple, but beautiful surroundings, enjoy the great decor and relaxed atmosphere on offer will be well served. There is a well-stocked library, music collection and an honesty bar in the living/dining area. A natural fireplace and comfortable lounge seating make this a gem, regardless of weather conditions outside. Any requests are met with a genuine desire to assist and fulfill. In addition,there is a small decked courtyard and pool area for sunbathing, swimming or relaxing on loungers. The area of Paternoster is well known for its quaint, pastel painted fisherman's cottages and long stretches of beach. I am delighted to say that I will be returning once again to this fabulous venue towards the end of this year, bringing family and friends with me this time. We are hoping to be able to purchase fresh lobster(crayfish) during our stay, which is on offer seasonally by the local fishermen. I highly recommend this establishment, as its location, amenities and ambiance are exactly what the refined traveler needs to restore peace and calm and is "salve" for the soul. Dianne Prentice

Room Tip: All the rooms in this establishment are tastefully furnished and have their own unique features. Vi...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Gavin-Dunes, Owner at Paternoster Dunes Boutique Guest House, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dianne I should be giving you 5 stars!! Thank you very much for a very complimentary review. You make me swell with pride! :) It is always great seeing you and we look forward to your next visit with the family. Kind regards, Gavin
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

The location is just unbeatable! We had a room that stepped straight out onto the dunes and beach. The informal welcome and very relaxed yet service added up to make a fantastic weekend. We ate out at brilliant restaurants and came back to the upstairs honesty bar.. Spent the day walking the beach and reading beside the pool. It was just brilliant! (Just remembered now to write the review)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Gavin-Dunes, Owner at Paternoster Dunes Boutique Guest House, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Thank you all for the past positive reviews. The whole team at Paternoster Dunes have been working hard to make sure your experience with us is a positive and enjoyable one. After having a brief rest over the winter months we are back with a bumper flower season having started earlier this year and we should still see Mother Natures beautiful gift to the West Coast for a few weeks to come. We have made a few improvements during our break, as usual, and should be able to enhance your experience from previous visits even more. Until we meet!
Your sincerely,
Gavin Sproule
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

It was a spur of the moment decission to go to Paternoster the friendly office staff was an indication that it was a happy environment. Lovely rooms almost touching the see. Nice hot fireplace with stimulating conversations about travel and of course my all-time favorite food.wholesome breakfast with a firstime for me ..smoked snoek ommelette. Thanks Gavin & Co it was excellent.

Stayed May 2012
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I stayed at The Dunes last July with American clients who are usually 5 star super luxury all the way, so I was a little nervous about how they would react to what they regarded as a downgrade from their usual style of travel. The place i usually used was closed in July and they were relying totally on my recommendation, based on a visit only, not a stayover.
Well, I needn't have worried - they loved the place, they loved their room, they loved Paternoster - and their main regret was that we hadn't arranged with Deon to have dinner there - I had booked for dinner at a 5 star establishment, which turned out to be a disappointment, but even had it lived up to its reputation I am sure we would have had a better meal and great company at The Dunes.
Welcoming hosts, great breakfast, decor tasteful and relaxing, an amazingly comfortable bed and that view from the bedroom - WOW!
A great place to put your feet up and unwind. And another great Paternoster location to recommend to my clients.

Room Tip: Choose a downstairs room that opens out onto the dunes. The Rose room is fabulous.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Paternoster is an amazing place and staying at Dunes made our time there even more special. We had the rose room and it was perfect. The attention to detail in the decoration coupled with the sumptuously comfortable bed and a perfect location right on a beautiful stretch of beach makes this guest house extremely difficult to leave come checking out time. There is also an on-site spa which is an added bonus (as if it's needed) for total relaxation. A place to make awesome memories!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I stayed at Paternoster Dunes with 2 friends in March 2012. My room was perfect with the bed facing the sea directly and direct access to the beach from the patio door. My room was tastefully decorated with everything provided. I loved the solar heated plunge pool and the protected area around the pool where one can shelter from the Paternoster wind. The terrace/dining area has an unbroken view of the sea and gives wonderful views of sunset. Deon and Gavin could not have been more attentive and I look forward to returning in the not too distant future.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Paternoster Dunes Boutique Guest House? Share your experiences!