“In the Western Cape you need to come here !” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: African
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Darlington, United Kingdom
“In the Western Cape you need to come here !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have spent 9 months living and working in the western cape and had many occasions to dine here and this is my favourite place. Very quirky and cool venue, with excellent food, attentive hospitable and friendly staff. Carl the host does provide a very warm welcome and the waitresses are amongst the most attractive in the Cape.

Booking is always advisable, but a sign does proclaim that if you are a fast eater and a big tipper you might get a table at short notice.

The eating area is outdoors, enclosed at the rear of the building and on first appearance it could be classed a ramshackle, but I along with others who visited believe it is really funky and well put together. The roof is a "bedouin" tent . There are fire pits and braziers strategically placed which, together with the chilled tunes add to the ambience.

I have eaten here many times and can recommend everything that I had on the menus available, but they do change the content quite often. Specifically, for starters I enjoyed; the Stovie fishcakes or the Sharing Platter (the terrine is fabulous). Mains; The Cob, Hake or the Steak are particular favourites for me. I also had a go at a few of the white wines and rated the Rienke [sp] Organic wine as a particular good one to try.

I do hope I get chance to visit this place again.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

92% Recommend
Midrand
“Lovely atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is such an unexpected gem. From the outside it's quant but plain, but the courtyard inside is absolutely beautiful. The atmosphere is amazing, the service was excellent, the food was great. The perfect venue for a lovely meal with family and friends. Even the kids were comfortable and happy. This is definitely a place I'd drive a detour to visit again.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Paternoster, South Africa
“Superb food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We have never been disappointed eating here. Service is always good with fun , easygoing on the ball waiters. The quail was outstanding as well as the steak. Atmosphere and music supports the fine food.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“5 star restaurant in a small sea side village”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

What a surprise this place is, having heard about it for years from everyone who has ever been to Paternoster I had very high expectations!

We arrived at the door and from the outside it looks very ordinary and fits in with the sea side surroundings, but once you get inside it's like whole new world. Fairy lights and fireplaces create the warmest glow, along with trees in between the tables and interesting decor pieces the atmosphere is truly magical.

We had a 5 hour long dinner and indulged in starters, mains and desserts or as they call it "flirting", "foreplay" and "intercourse"! Everyone raved about their meals, the beef fillet, pork belly and fish were all hits and their starters and desserts were just as delicious!

They don't ask corkage so we were able to bring our own wine and champagne.

Good to note that we made the reservation weeks in advance to assure a space as they are so fully booked - always.

I can't wait to go back! I have also been told by many that this makes for the perfect wedding or celebration venue!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Rushed service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I first ate here 3 years ago, and really enjoyed both the food and the atmosphere. However my return visit was less enjoyable. The service was extremely rushed. It was obvious that they wanted us to eat and leave as quickly as possible so that they could turn the table to get more customers served. Our starters appeared within 3 minutes of ordering. The main course similarly arrived about 3 minutes after we had put down the cuttlery from the first course. There was no time to relax and actually enjoy the meal.

The food itself was fine. The waiting staff were polite, but the rushed service was very off putting. I hope to go back to Paternoster, but am doubtful that I will return to the Noisy Oyster. If I do go back, I will book a late sitting in the expectation that they won't be trying to chase me out of the restaurant in such a hurry.

Visited February 2013