“Loved It, Loved it, Loved It!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kirkstead Old Mill Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woodhall Spa
Kirkstead Old Mill Cottage
You added Kirkstead Old Mill Cottage to your Saves list
Tattershall Road, Woodhall Spa LN10 6UQ, England   |
Ranked #2 of 11 Woodhall Spa B&B and Inns
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Loved It, Loved it, Loved It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We loved our stay at Kirkstead Old Mill Cottage!! We decided earlier in the week that we were going to have a weekend visiting National Trust properties and that we would look for the most central place to stay on the Saturday night. Taking the six properties (Stainsby Mill, Hardwick Hall, The Workhouse, Tattershall Castle, Belton House and Woolsthorpe Manor) into consideration we decided on Woodhall Spa (never heard of the place before) and then used Trip Advisor to see what accommodation was there.

Again, Trip Advisor came up trumps!!! I emailed Barbara and within 30 mins I had a reply that the Balcony Room was available! Following a couple of e-mail exchanges and a phone call we had everything in place. Barbara is very thorough with finding out our likes and dislikes and endeavours to accommodate. Her website is one of the most informative I have come across. We arrived (the cottage is situated at the end of a dirt track; easily driven, but means that we are in a very quiet location) just before the expected time and Barbara was on hand for a cheery welcome. As we were rushing out for a meal (the meal was booked by Barbara) and then to the “Kinema in the Wood” (also highly recommended for a different cinema experience) we did not have time for a welcome cup of tea. Barbara took our breakfast order and off we went.

Our room was spotlessly clean; it has mirrored cupboards, remote controlled beds and a “space-age “shower cubicle (which was easy to operate). We had a lovely restful sleep in a comfortable bed, room at the right temperature and it was ever so quite.
The breakfast was first class; all cooked to order, with quality ingredients. We had a lovely chat with Barbara and then we were on our way, a short distance, to our first visit of the day.
We highly recommend and do hope to return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

This accommodation exceeded my highest hopes. I have just returned home after staying in the Kingfisher suite and, as a disabled wheelchair user, I found the accommodation of a higher standard than even that of my own home and that's saying something! Barbara is a lovely lady and I reiterate everything already written in previous reviews. As for the room being suitable for the most disabled persons, I would think so. No expense has been spared and the decor is gorgeous too. I just MUST go back again before too long. Thank you Barbara for absolutely everything, including the room, the shower room, the breakfast and the garden, all of which are accessible to the wheelchair user. Thanks also to all other staff some whom I met including Reg and Claire. Again, thank you all. Love Anais xx

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
KirksteadWoodhallSpa, Owner at Kirkstead Old Mill Cottage, responded to this review, October 15, 2011
I'm so glad that you were comfortable during your brief visit to Woodhall Spa. It is such a pleasure to share this peaceful corner of Lincolnshire with our guests, including those who can benefit from our accessible facilities. Thank you for finding the energy to review my home, and in so doing help other wheelchair users to get out and about. I think it is about time I added some photos of the Kingfisher Suite to this site. I look forward to welcoming you again, and I will pass on your compliments to my valuable helpers, Barbara
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed here as we were attending a wedding in Woodhall Spa. We arrived late on the Friday night, but Barbara had stayed up for us and welcomed us very warmly. We had booked the double room with the balcony which was an excellet decision because when we woke the next day, the sun was shining and we were able to having tea and homemade biscuits on the balcony, overlooking her gorgeous garden and the surrouding countryside, very romantic. The breakfasts were outstanding, very fresh and superbly cooked. Our room had everything you could possible need and the huge kingsize bed was extremely comfortable. We went on a couple of walks whilst staying there which were along the river bank and again very romantic. Barbara works very hard to ensure that her guests have a wonderful stay and I must say that she deserves all the praise that is heaped on her. My husband and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Skelton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

We have just returned from a four night break at Kirkstead Old Mill Cottage and cannot wait to return. Having stayed in locations around the UK the hospitality from Barbara and Clare is the best we have ever received. The house itself is delightful set in the most tranquil of settings, with beautiful gardens next to the River Witham. We stayed in the balcony room which is fantasically appointed with comfortable bed, delightful shower/sauna and great view of the countryside and the abundance of local wildlife from the balcony.

The breakfast cooked by Clare was delicious, with a vast choice of locally sourced produce.

We are cyclists and found the location to be a great base for the Water Rail Way, Spa Trail or the abundance of quiet country lanes. The B&B only being a couple of miles out of Woodhall Spa also makes it a great stopover for anyone touring through Lincolnshire.

There is also plenty of secure undercover storage for bikes overnight.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
middlesbrough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

Excellent hospitality,excellent food and choice,excellent rooms,what more can one say. The only trouble is with this review it may now be always booked up.
LYNDA and GORDON

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
KirksteadWoodhallSpa, Owner at Kirkstead Old Mill Cottage, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
I'm looking forward to welcoming you again. Let's hope that the weather this coming December allows the wonderful Christmas Market in Lincoln to go ahead as usual. Barbara
Barking, ESSEX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

This B&B is so peaceful and just what we needed. It’s a mile from the road along a track and offers total seclusion. The grounds are glorious and the riverside location perfect. Barbara really knows how to look after her guests and the fact that she takes so much trouble, from ringing us to enquire what sort of milk we’d like in our fridge and what sort of fruit juice would we like with breakfast, let us know that we were in for a thorough spoiling!! The tea on arrival was very kind and I had Lincolnshire Plum Bread while my wife had Shortbread Biscuits.

We stayed for 2 nights in the Monet Room which was very comfortable. The bathroom is HUGE and full of those little touches that make for a home from home feeling.

Breakfast was superb and SO much choice!! Being able to choose from such an extensive menu made us really look forward to it and we weren’t disappointed.

Everything about this B&B is 100%!! We would stay there again and hopefully would get the Balcony Room this time!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

Had a 2 night stay in the superb balcony room which is very spacious and well appointed, the riverside location is very peaceful & secluded, barbara was very pleasant & helpful, also a very nice breakfast.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
KirksteadWoodhallSpa, Owner at Kirkstead Old Mill Cottage, responded to this review, May 14, 2011
Thank you, Gary7227, for adding your most welcome comments, which I know potential guests will find useful. I must admit that the Balcony Bedroom seems to be the favourite one, and I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. I love sharing my tranquil home, and now I've learnt how respond to you.
I'm looking forward to seeing your photographs of the planes on Twitter, which I have never used. Why don't you add a couple of your 'photos to the few pictures that appear on Kirkstead Old Mill Cottage's review page. I hope you had a lovely day at East Kirkby's Aviation Museum, and will be successful in getting tickets for the Open Day at the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight in October.

Been to Kirkstead Old Mill Cottage? Share your experiences!