My daughter and I have stayed at the Errington's for one fabulous week every summer for the past 7 years. It has become our special place just to relax and to get in touch with nature and with ourselves.
We are nature lovers and enjoy taking the canoe out for long trips on the lake with its various bays and passages just to look at the wildlife. We always enjoy watching the loons and the moose (our favourites). Each summer we see eagles, beavers and bears as well. The birds are also spectacular, especially in the spring and early summer. On some of our trips we have seen the northern lights. The night sky is really fantastic as there are no city lights anywhere nearby to obscure the view.
When we stay at the Errington's, we rent a cabin and enjoy doing our own cooking (mostly we barbecue). The cabin is very comfortable and has a stove and oven, a fridge, a wood-burning fireplace, cozy bedrooms and a nice size dining area. The main lodge serves very good food if you decide to buy a meal plan.
What makes this place very special for us are the Errington's themselves and their staff. Everyone is so friendly and warm and willing to help make our stay as enjoyable as possible. Al and Doris are very lovely, genuine people who are always willing to take the time to provide us with the latest news about where we should paddle to see wildlife or to share other interesting information.
In short, this is a wonderful place if you want to get far away from the city and feel close to nature but still have a very comfortable place to stay with warm and friendly people as your hosts! My daughter and I will continue to make yearly treks to the Errington's as long as we are able to!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Comfortable lakeside cabins and suites, fine dining and courteous service on a secluded island easily accessible via the Algoma Central Railway or float plane. Our resort is on Lake Wabatongushi in a 3,000 square mile Wildlife Sanctuary. Sightings of wildlife such as moose, black bear, loons and bald eagles, are numerous. The only hunting allowed since 1925 is with a camera. Excellent fishing for walleye and northern pike. Also canoeing, kayaking, hiking and swimming. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Errington`s Wilderness Island Hotel Wabatongushi Lake
- Erringtons Wilderness Island Hotel
- Errington's Wilderness Island Resort Wabatongushi Lake, Ontario, Canada