“Amazing ....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cameron House on Loch Lomond

You added Cameron House on Loch Lomond to your Saves list
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, Alexandria G83 8QZ, Scotland (Formerly De Vere Cameron House)   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Alexandria
Dublin Ireland
“Amazing ....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just back from a two night stay at Cameron House and what an amazing experience. The staff were second to none - From the concierge to the young Canadian at check in all ensured that we were made feel very welcomed & recommended some lovely walks. That evening in the hotel restaurant Sean ensure that we had a delightful meal and knowledgeable experience. The 2nd evening we went to a Ceili in the Claret Jug and what a laugh we had there with all the staff ensuring that everyone had an opportunity to take part. To finish the experience we dined in Martin Wishart restaurant for lunch - having worked with three different Michelin starred chefs in London this was an experience not to be missed - again outstanding staff. Looks like all we did was eat and drink but it is a must after the wonderful walks and fresh air.
Our very spacious room over looked the gardens and the beautiful views of the loch - just did not want to leave.
Thank you to all the staff for all their hospitality - amazing.

Room Tip: Make sure your room over looks the loch - the views are amazing!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
Inverness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is a lovely hotel, the room was really nice and comfortable. The facilities were good and the spa nearby added a bonus especially if the weather is bad. We had dinner, bed and breakfast and went for a treatment and a spa experience. Overall it was a good experience apart from getting a refund as our evening meal in the hotel was very disappointing, what made it worse was being told there was an issue with the steak we had eaten, it was stringing and rubbery. I hope it wasnt horse meat!. The concerning issue was they continued to serve it despite other complaints. A refund for the meal wasnt good enough. The staff were great apart from the spa receptionist, a bit above herself. The great thing about this hotel is it caters for all. I would recommend it.

Room Tip: The executive kingsize room has plenty of space and you get a great view of the loch.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
CameronHouseLL, General Manager at Cameron House on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I am really pleased that you found Cameron House to be a lovely resort which caters for many and that you enjoyed a good experience overall. I do apologise that your evening meal was not of the standard that we regularly deliver, although I am reassured that this was addressed by our Management team during your stay.
Overall I do value your recommendation and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I have reviewed cameron house on numerous occasions, so will keep this review brief.During recent stay in February...wonderful food, wonderful service, great game of golf on the wee demon course....overall a fantastic and relaxing trip.special mention to Cody for sorting room request - many thanks.ps. glad to see return of al la carte breakfast for no extra charge and the re-opening of lounge rooms on the ground floor.thanks again for wonderful trip.

• Stayed February 2013
Many thanks for you review. It is great that you enjoyed a wonderful stay and I really value you acknowledging so many aspects of the resort which you regarded highly. I also value you mentioning Cody for being especially accommodating.
I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Best wishes,
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed in a junior suite overlooking the Loch and although it was a dreich February evening the views were still beautiful and very relaxing. We dined in the Martin Wishart restaurant which lived up to our expectations having previously dined at Martin's Edinburgh restaurant. The food was outstanding, the service perfect and the ambience relaxed and comfortable. We were even treated to a visit to the kitchen to meet the talented chef Graeme and the manager Christian was very charming. Our room was beautifully decorated, the bed supremely comfy and the overall feeling from the staff was that they wanted to please and help you enjoy your stay.
The only blip was our visit to the Carrick Spa where there seemed to be some issues such as no robes or towels in the lockers, broken jets in the roof top pool etc but I guess this could happen anywhere and we were possbily unlucky. We had such a lovely time overall that we were willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. One recommendation would be that it should be easier and more joined up to book the spa through the hotel. Overall a wonderful way to spend a Friday evening and we will be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks fore your review. I am delighted that your expectations were met in michelin star Martin Wisharts and that you were able to absorb the stunning views of Loch Lomond from one of our junior suites.
I do apologise that your experience in our Carrick spa was not of the standard that we regularly provide and please note your feedback has been shared with our Spa Manager.
I do hope look forward to welcoming you back.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

We took advantage on offer of a discounted stay from golf membership. To keep it brief, we entered the room to find a bedside lamp needing a rewiring from a maintenance man, a faulty docking station and a tv minus some of its functions due to upgrades.

All of the above would have been acceptable due time of year and just bad luck had it not been for what followed. We were awoken by a phone call from 2 separate members of staff requesting myself to "check the toilets at Martin wisharts". Upon informing the latter that it was a guest room, a short apology and hastily ended phone call was the only reply. Within 15 mind of being asleep again, a member of staff knocked on the door to offer us wine glasses I hadn't ordered. After informing the staff member, there was no apology and only a speedy exit was given.

I could go on but I wish to be brief. I felt compelled to complain via trip advisor as my previous complaints at time if check out and since by email has gone without notice. The only saving grace was the sincere apologies of the lady checking us out. Less so was the offer of a free upgrade for our next stay. I have since read that it is only an upgrade on the view from the window and the most problematic part of the offer is that it requires us to visit again - something which is unlikely to put it generously. Hopefully it is third time lucky in getting a response

• Stayed January 2013
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We were given a voucher for Champagne Afternoon Tea as a Christmas present. What a wonderful experience. Views over Loch Lomond,comfy chairs and wonderful food. Really nice young man from Helensburgh was very attentive and gave excellent service and took the time to chat and make us feel very welcome. Sandwiches, scones and cakes and unlimited tea or coffee, fantastic.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
A huge thank you for your review. It is great that you were treated to a lovely champagne afternoon tea at Cameron House and I am delighted that this was a great experience and that you were so well looked after.
I do hope that you are able to return in the near future and discover more of what our resort has to offer.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Such a shame. After a number of decent stays here over the past two years, I am disappointed to report an apparent nose-dive in standards.
My wife and I held our wedding reception here a few months ago, and although the day and evening went fairly smoothly there were still numerous oversights and basic errors that made the whole occasion unnecessarily stressful. These have been addressed separately between the hotel and my wife and I, but it is my most recent experience of the hotel that has prompted this review.

After entering a "Triathlon" event at the hotel's gym, which was advertised around the gymnasium area, I was informed that I had won one of the advertised prizes. As these prizes consisted of overnight stays/meals for two/spa treatments etc I was pretty pleased. However, the hotel never got back to me, so I have proceeded to chase them up both in the form of phone calls and writing to the General Manager. Rather bizarrely, I have simply been ignored. I received one voicemail from the Leisure Manager who said he would keep trying to reach me, but since then he seems to have vanished. None of the gym staff are able to help, and either don't bother to pass on messages I leave for him, or he simply has decided to fob me off.

Either way, this is unacceptable behaviour towards customers. The only reason I have persisted is for an explanation, which I believe I am owed. The saga continues..

This treatment, combined with the experiences we encountered during our recent stay here has prompted us to reconsider staying at Cameron House in the future, especially considering the cost of a stay here.
It certainly has the looks as a venue, but its' staff are inadequately trained and there is a definite air of complacency about the hotel. The basics are continually over looked and its' status as a five star is in urgent need of evaluation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cameron House on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!