“5 * with a difference” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cameron House on Loch Lomond

You added Cameron House on Loch Lomond to your Saves list
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, Alexandria G83 8QZ, Scotland (Formerly De Vere Cameron House)   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Alexandria
North Yorkshire
“5 * with a difference”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights in the Cameron house hotel which we enjoyed very much. The concierge staff were absolutely excellent and looked after our requirements admirably. The hotel has a style of it's own. Dark and moody but nicely done. It was a bit contemporary for my taste but it was spotlessly clean and pretty individual. I found it a little strange that the room was not turned down at night. I didn't have time really to query this but wonder if this is the norm. Otherwise the service was excellent. I found the room rate and the cost of meals in the Cameron Grill to be quite high and although everything was of a reasonably high standard I'm not quite sure that the pricing is just right.
We have a toddler and didn't bring her with us but had I known how family friendly this hotel is I would have brought her. She is well behaved (except for a very occasional 2 year old tantrum) and I am confident she would have been made welcome. The swimming facilities were particularly good for children. I think the pay back for this is that the changing rooms didn't feel very 5* but they were adequate.
Very enjoyable stay and 5* catering for youngsters is brilliant and not something I have seen much elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CameronHouseLL, Manager at Cameron House on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. I sincerely value you recommending Cameron House as a great family resort and I am delighted that you had a very enjoyable time staying with us.
It is also good to hear that you thought highly of the contemporary, baronial themed interior of our resort.
I do hope to welcome you back and that you bring the little one along on your next visit for a great family escape.

John Keating

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We had our first visit to the Cameron House Hotel recently and it was fabulous. From the moment you step into the grand reception to be greeted by the concierge until the minute you leave, the staff cannot be more helpful. The attention to detail is superb, and the room was fantastic. Clean, very well presented and extremely comfortable with fantastic views to Loch Lomond it self. We took a trip on the seaplane and would highly recommend it - fantastic way to see our beautiful highlands and islands. We ate in the Claret Jug and the Cameron Grill; both were excellent however we just preferred the Claret Jug for service and menu. We also used the spa and very much enjoyed it, very relaxing and enjoyable although the infinity pool could have been a few degrees warmer! All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our visit and would highly recommend to anyone - we'll definitely be back.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your feedback! I am delighted that we were able to deliver a fabulous break for you. It is great that you thought so highly of the resort and that you were able to enjoy the sea plane and absorb the stunning scenery of the West coast of Scotland.
I sincerely appreciate your recommendation of Cameron House and especially your terrific praise of the great team we have here on the resort.
I do look forward to welcoming you to back and hope that you enjoy another superb stay with us.

John Keating
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We live in Scotland had have heard about Cameron House, so when we had to go to Glasgow we thought that we would stay and experience what a 5* hotel has to offer. The welcome from the staff was wonderful - everybody we met was friendly, informative and seemed very natural. The hotel has a masculine feel to it - dark colours, moody lighting but does have a 'luxury' look. The room (a loch view double with a wonderful view) was like a standard hotel bedroom and had the facility one would expect. Except that there was only 1 bedside lamp (which made reading in bed an issue for my partner), only 1 comfy arm chair and, although there was a pad, there was no pen. If we had been staying for a few days we felt that it would have been difficult to relax - the only sitting area out of the room was the bar which felt large and corporate, not intimate and relaxing.
The big disappointment was the food - we had been out for a walk and arrived back at about 5.10pm. We went to the main bar and asked for tea and cakes, but was told that they did not serve cakes after 5pm.
We had supper in the grill and had sirloin steaks (medium rare). A lot is made of the quality of the steaks so expected a melt in the mouth experiance - the meat we got was rather chewy and the peppercorn sauce was not peppery enough. For £110 for 2 steaks and a (very nice) bottle of wine we expected more. We mentioned to our waitress that we were disappointed and she said that other guests had made a similar comment and that talks were due to take place with their meat suppliers. If there is a known problem with the quality of the meat I would have expected that either urgent action should be taken to correct it, or stop serving that meat. Serving what you know (or suspect) to be second rate meat at 1st rate prices is not really on.
Finally there was breakfast - there was everything you could has wanted for breakfast. The issue is that it was all self-service which means a buffet rather than freshly cooked food. We often travel around Scotland staying in 3* hotels where you always get full table service and freshly cooked food at breakfast. Paying a lot of money for a 5* hotel does not mean a 1st class breakfast.

Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We recently returned from our 4th stay at Cameron House and found that the quality of staff / service / food has increased to new heights.

The bar staff in the main Great Scots Bar were first class - friendly and attentive; the cocktails were equally good.

We had our evening meal in the Grill Restaurant: staff were again highly attentive and the quality of the food was first class.

As on previous visits, we had booked a "Junior Suite King Bed" type room - this was the only slight disappointment in our stay, as the room was not as large or as luxurious as rooms we had stayed in previously at this hotel.

Efficient and knowledgeable reception staff made the checking in / out process quick and painless.

Highly recommended for a luxury break.

Room Tip: Park your car beyond the hotel, rather than in the main car parks you come across initially - much e...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 2 night to celebrate my birthday, and the service was fantastic from the moment we arrived, a nice little touch was a birthday card waiting in the room for when we arrived. A great little personal touch.

We ate at the boat house on the first night and the steak was fantastic. I don't know what type of sauce they use. But I would go back again in an instant!

A beautiful setting and its well worth taking a good camera. I got some fantastic shots of a misty Loch Lomond.

The staff were very helpful and the pool was amazing. Although we are both 30 the staff didn't seem to mind a load of adults using the flume! Great fun!

Would I go back? If I could afford to I would live there!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CameronHouseLL, General Manager at Cameron House on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Happy Birthday! It is fantastic that we were able to deliver such an enjoyable birthday celebration for you both! It is a huge compliment that you had such a special experience at Cameron House that you would stay with us on a permanent basis!
I do hope to welcome you both back in the near future and that you are able to sample even more of the delicious locally sourced steaks that are offered in the Cameron Grill!

Consett, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is set in wonderful location overlooking Loch Lomond. Our bedroom / ensuite was very spacious, tastefully decorated and spotless although it was very dark. The golf course with its restaurant and the Carrick spa are not based at the hotel but free transport is available.
The are two excellent restaurants at Cameron House, both are expensive as expected but serve very good food. Breakfast was really nice, try the haggis mmmm.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay but not quite as good as we expected. I must compliment the hotel staff who were especially good.

Stayed October 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback. I really value your praise of our bedrooms, Cameron Grill and Boat House restaurants and especially that you thought very highly of all of our team who you met during your stay!
I do hope to welcome you back in the very near future and that you enjoy an outstanding stay on your next visit.

Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Cameron House was the perfect place to stay! I just wish we would have had more time to enjoy the property. We stayed for three nights and did day trips to different sights around Scotland. Next time we will be sure and stay longer so we can enjoy the amazing grounds and Spa.

Room Tip: There are different size rooms for the same price. Ours was a little bit larger than the other's...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
A huge thank you for your review. I am delighted that you found Cameron House to be a perfect base to explore Scotland. I hope that you are able to return in the near future so that you can experience our Carrick spa and the many other activities that our resort offers.

Nader Ibrahim

Been to Cameron House on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!