“Keep going back” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cameron House on Loch Lomond

You added Cameron House on Loch Lomond to your Saves list
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, Alexandria G83 8QZ, Scotland (Formerly De Vere Cameron House)   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Alexandria
Edinburgh
“Keep going back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Excellent hotel, we have been may times. The rooms are well appointed, the family rooms are incredible. A completely separate area with bunks for the kids.

Breakfast is varied and generally fine, perhaps I wouldnt go much further than that.

Spa facilities are fantastic and there is a good lesuire club with a great child friendly pool with a water slide.

Like all hotels there are always weddings which arent always genteel.

There is only one bar, its a fantastic setting but the service is consistently terrible. There used to be a small whisky bar which has closed. This is big mistake as it means the only option is a large bar which can be full of wedding guests.

The Martin Wishart restaurant is remarkable.

Room Tip: Family rooms are perfect
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
CameronHouseLL, General Manager at Cameron House on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Many thanks for your review and for returning on so many occasions! Your praise of our resort is incredibly encouraging and rewarding. Please note that your comments have been taken on board and allow us to enhance the level of standards that are delivered.
I do hope to welcome you back and that you enjoy a perfect stay on your next visit.

Nader Ibrahim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
Knutsford, Cheshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Our overal experience was 5 star pricing for mediocre facilities, food and service. Beautiful location but hotel is overated. I had arranged for a special weekend trip for a group of friends. Upon arrival first impressions were good as we were greeted by a charming member of staff to take care of our luggage and valet park the car. We had all paid extra for a Loch view bedroom, but we only just see the Loch over the traffic coming and going at the front entrance! The bed was comfortable albeit only a 4' 6" double bed and not a kingsize as one would expect for a deluxe room at such an expensive cost. The bathroom fittings were ok but not as immactulately clean as should be - if you looked closer the toilet and shower needed extra cleaning. The first thing l noticed when walking to the Bar was a prevading smell of cooking fat which kind of put me off eating anything. It was evident that the Bar was short staffed and there were wedding on every day as we had to go looking for a member of staff to place an order each time. All the tables were dirty with mess everywhere - tables and chairs littered which again kind of put one off eating and drinking there. At the buffet breakfast in the Cameron Grill we had to search through the glasses and bowls to find one that was clean as several were dirty. Despite having paid an expensive dinner, B&B rate we found that dinner and breakfast all had "supplimentary" costs attached to many items. Also after each meal the bill had 20% service charge added. The Boat House has a great amibence but the food was average. The Martin Wishart restuarant is beautifully decorated with very attentive staff. We had the Tasting Menu at £75pp as we have enjoyed many of these meals at exceptional places before but this experience again was disappointing - everyone was extremely hungry after being served miniscule dishes! Basically if you are happy to pay very high prices for average food and service to enjoy the location then ok but it kind of spoilt the whole weekend for us.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room as you may get a better view of the Loch.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your feedback on tripadvisor. I am sorry to learn that you feel we did not deliver the level of service that we pride ourselves on doing. Please be assured that all your comments are being reviewed by our senior Management team enhance the standards that are delivered.
Despite the issues identified I do value your praise of our stunning location, the lovely ambience within the Boat House and the attentive service you received in Martin Wisharts restaurant.
I do hope to welcome you back and that we deliver an impeccable stay to you on your next visit.

Monifieth, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights end of August for a special birthday experience. The location is beautiful and the Martin Wishart restaurant was an experience worth waiting for but poor customer service left me disappointed. My birthday morning breakfast from room service was cold - even the tea and coffee was cold and it took 20 minutes for a replacement. Scrutinise your bill! We were charge for wine we didn't have on two occasions without a reasonable explanation and they charged us for our cold breakfast. My first experience of 5 star in Scotland - very disappointing.

Room Tip: We had a view over loch on first floor - but would have preferred to be higher up as people were wal...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your feedback. I value your praise of our location and I am pleased that you enjoyed a great dining experience in Michelin Star Martin Wisharts restaurant.
I do, however, apologise for the other instances described as this is certainly not the level of service that we pride ourselves on delivering.
Please be assured that all your comments have been taken on board by our senior Management team in order to enhance the level of standards that we deliver.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We were invited back to Cameron House by the resort general manager for two nights after a terrible stay at Cameron House in March. The invitiation was for a two night stay with dinner on one evening. We arranged this directly with the resort general manager's executive assistant. When we arrived, no reservation had been made for us and we were left feeling completely embarrassed and wishing we had not bothered returning. A room was found for us and the staff went out of their way to ensure we enjoyed our stay. On the second evening the hotel had no water for approx 40 mins. Not the best when you are covered in shampoo!! All in all we expected to at least have a room considering this was an apology from the resort general manager. He was off last weekend and since we have been home, we have not had a phone call or an email to simply apologise for "the totally unacceptable start to the weekend" (the duty managers words).
Not much to ask one would have thought!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a loch view and simply check your reservation has definitely been made.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I appreciate you retuning to Cameron House and providing us with the opportunity to redeem your impression of our resort. I am incredibly disappointed that your return stay started of so poorly.
Please be assured that you will soon receive a phone call from a member of the team to discuss this. Despite the understandable frustration that you experienced I do value you highlighting that the team done their best to provide you with an enjoyable stay.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Great location, superb views... Plenty of choices for dining... Shame I had spent a lot of money and booked a suite with separate living area that we couldn't use as there was no heating in it... The bar service was very slow and I'm glad I checked my bill when we were checking out the last day as they had charged us twice for dinner.. Great concierge service, friendly staff and good leisure facilities...

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you very much for submitting your feedback on tripadvisor. I sincerely value your praise of so many aspects of our resort. I do apologise for the issue you experienced with your suite and I hope that you reported this to our maintenance team and that it was rectified promptly.
I am also sorry that you encountered slow service in our Great Scots Bar and for the other issue mentioned. Please be assured all you feedback has been taken on board by our senior Management team.
I do hope to welcome you back and that you enjoy an absolutely perfect visit on your next stay.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Having just arrived home from an excellent 2 nights stay at cameron House I thought I'd do a wee tripadvisor review. Having previously gone for breaks across to Edinburgh and stayed at The Bonham, The Scotsman, The GlassHouse and Malmaison, we were surprised when we realised that we had never stayed on our own West Coast and at cameron House.

An excellent check-in and William at check-in was excellent, that great blend of 5 start professionalism and warmness that is hard to get. Concierge easily sorted out my connundrum of how to get the car to the car park from the front door in the heavy rain. He took my car keys from me and went off and parked our car for us. A great service.

We had one of the Junior Suites and this was a lovely size room with a good view of the loch. There seemed to be about 4 or 5 of these in a row, half had balconies and the other half without didn't seem to have balconies, but were bigger. We had one without a balcony and with it being a couple of rainy Scottish days the larger sized room was appreciated. I'm not sure if all the other rooms had been pre-allocated that day, but it may have been nice at check-in to be asked which type of room we'd have preferred.

We had dinner the first night in the Cameron Grill, which was an excellent meal. Nice food and good wine. Not that cheap, but not too bothered as a great atmosphere and lovely food in good surroundings. We headed next door to the bar next door the Great Scots bar. A lovely large bar that looks brilliant, with great big sofas and glass windows with views out onto the loch. Only problem, is the service. As we sat down, the guy behind me had just given up waving his arms in the air to get the attention of the barman and got up and had to walk over to the bar to order drinks. I thought this a bit of a one-off perhaps, but then found it damn near impossible to get hold of a barman myself. Perhaps you think it was very busy, nope, there were maybe 4 couples at most in at this time ! Shame, as this makes a very lovely bar into a bit of a joke in a 5-Star hotel.

Had lunch the next day at the lovely Loch Fyne Oyster bar, which is an easy 45minutes drive just North of Cameron House and then on the way back dropped into the Spa at the carrick. This is a couple of mile up the road from the main hotel and well worth the trip. There is a great rooftop infinity pool on the third floor and no matter what the weather I'd recommend heading up there for the view.

One the last night, we wandered down and ate over in the Boat House. A nice, new england style building further down on the loch front. A good meal and then we got a car to take us back up to the main hotel.

Back in to the Great Scots bar for a final nights drink and guess what, again a pain to get hold of the barman. Obviously the drink prices are slightly higher than a normal bar as you are sat in the bar of a 5-star hotel and so you are paying for the service with the drinks, but to do things like give me my bill but no pen to sign the bill with are just basic mistakes in a hotel. Shame, as it really took the edge off of what could be a bar you'd want to just sit in and drink for a good while...

Easy check out and great concierge service, my car was waiting for me with my luggage placed in the boot alrady for us.

Shame to leave and as they'd like you to say I'm sure, 'Haste Ye Back...'

Room Tip: If booking a Suite, confirm with the hotel whether you want a smaller room with a balcony, or a larg...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. Your praise of Cameron House is incredibly encouraging and I especially value you identifying William and our Concierge team for standing out particularly.
Please be assured that your constructive feedback regarding the Great Scots Bar has been taken on board. Please also note that three of our King Executive suites feature balconies with views over Loch Lomond.
I do hope to welcome you back in the near future and that you enjoy another great stay with us.

Peterhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Had a great 3 days at the hotel, even though the weather was not kind to us
The staff really were friendly and could not do enough to help top marks to them all
The food in the restaurants was excellent although maybe on the expensive side

• Stayed September 2012
CameronHouseLL, General Manager at Cameron House on Loch Lomond, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Many thanks for your contribution! I am delighted that you enjoyed a great stay with us despite of the poor weather outside! I sincerely value your praise of the warm nature you found our team to demonstrate and of the quality of food that you enjoyed (as we do try to source delicious local produce wherever possible).
I hope to welcome you back and that you enjoy another tremendous stay with us.

Nader Ibrahim

Been to Cameron House on Loch Lomond? Share your experiences!