“Food with a View.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Duck Bay Hotel & Restaurant

Duck Bay Hotel & Restaurant
Loch Lomond | Duck Bay Hotel, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, Alexandria G83 8QZ , Scotland
+44 (0)1389 751234
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Food with a View.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

After a round of winter golf at the Carrick,Loch Lomond,we went for lunch at Duck Bay and it was excellent.The decor is new and stylish,there is a relaxed ambience in the restaurant,and one of the big plus points,is the fantastic views over Loch Lomond.It was a beautiful day and the loch was looking spectacular.As with any restaurant,the most important thing is the food,and it was first class,perfectly cooked and presented and the sevice was also exemplary.I look forward to visiting again soon,great place to eat and just completely chill out.Well done.

• Visited December 2012

cumbernauld glasgow
“My favourite place to eat by far”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Can't say enough about this hotel/restaurant have stayed in hotel which is beautiful and as for the food it is out of this world it's amazing service is fantastic and what a view while you're eating your dinner,breakfast or lunch BRILLIANT.

• Visited August 2012
Scotland
“Cool_Gran”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We went for an eveing meal here and were pleasantly surprised at the selection of meals we got to choose from, We could also have had a carvery if we wantedd the smell from that area was fantastic, But we choose to eat from the alacarte the service and food were first class and the prices fair for waht was served, We had no complaints at all for here and will certainley call in again

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Stirling,Scotland
“Food, service & view excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Had lunch here midweek. How can anyone not love sitting at a table looking out across Loch Lomond...Scotland at it's best. Food was fantastic, service was prompt and polite without being "in your face". Actually one of the most relaxing dining out experiences I have had in ages.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Nice place but cost cutting is adversely affecting the quality of food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

PREAMBLE: Ironically I wrote a review for this restaurant and gave it a title of "consistently good" but then revisited the restaurant a couple of days later to find out they had completely changed their lovely chips for really disappointingly bad chips. They used to have really nice chips; perfectly crisp on the outside and soft in the middle which my partner and I always ordered and always liked. Now they are a horrible variety of raw-tasting, non-crispy chips. In full praise to the restaurant staff I spoke to one of the waiters, one I recognize from many previous visits but unfortunately cannot recall his name and he apologized and agreed they were not as good and he even went away to raise the concern with the kitchen who confirmed they had changed their chips; information which he promptly relayed to me. I sincerely hope they revert back to their previous chips or I'll need to find another little restaurant for lunchtime visits with my partner. I felt it would be inaccurate to keep my review with that title when they have failed to be consistent so I requested the review was removed so I could provide this newly updated review.

*************************************************

My partner and I regularly visit this restaurant for lunch. I would say that it is worth a visit for the nice décor and view alone. The décor is pleasant, warm and welcoming. The lighting is lovely and there are head-height fish tanks and fireplaces in the walls which create a nice atmosphere. I noticed a particular reviewer that said the décor was “ghastly” which I would say is an over exaggeration. There is a lot going on in terms of décor but looking at it from a generic standpoint “ghastly” isn’t a fair description. That same review also complains that the menu is “far too long”; I’m not sure how that can be complained about as the amount of items on the menu caters for plenty of food preferences including vegetarians and the good choice allows different things to be tried each visit. We have our favourites on the menu but we also like to try out different things each time we go. The food is usually very good with a few exceptions and so I’m reasonably confident to try out other things knowing that they will be good quality.

The service is usually good and the staff are generally polite and attentive although on a couple of occasions I have been forgotten about or I have waited at the bar to pay the bill for a bit too long before someone even acknowledged I was standing there. The prices are acceptable. If anything they are a little bit over the average price for what I’d expect each dish to cost elsewhere. The soft drinks are ridiculously priced. You could easily buy 2 x 2L bottles of coke from a supermarket for the price of less than 300ml in here. I understand I'm paying to eat in the restaurant and be served etc etc and that they have to make money on the drinks but if you really want to do the mathematics it works out at over 1200% more expensive millilitre for millilitre than typical shop prices for the same drink which is a bit over the top. In the evening the lunch menu simply becomes approximately 10% more expensive for the same items on the dinner menu. The carvery is rather overpriced for what you get and so I avoid it.

Outside the restaurant there is a pier that has been recently refurbished somewhat with new sections of wood and some plants. The pier provides a nice little walk out on to Loch Lomond and a nice photo opportunity if you’re in to that. If you are interested in seaplanes, and if you time your visit right, you’ll get a great view of the local seaplane landing on the loch for its stop at Cameron House. There is also a small gift shop attached to the restaurant. The restaurant is wheelchair friendly. The restaurant can be quite busy at times and in the past this has caused the service level to drop a little. When/if they get their chips back to their former format and when it feels like they aren't cost cutting to the detriment of the food quality I'd be more likely to recommend them.

• 3 of 5 stars Food