TripAdvisor has this one pegged: It really is that good.
My boyfriend and I recently returned from a five-night stay in Villa Tiare, one of the three little villas on the Makayla Palms property. It was exactly what we'd hoped for. Everything in the villa is sparkling-clean, all-white, and seemingly brand-new. The kitchen is fully equipped with anything you could possibly need to cook, including tools (an immersion blender!) and pantry staples. It was lovely having a barbecue on the lanai and being able to cook for ourselves, especially seeing how expensive it is eating out on the island. (Though, FYI, for an unbeatable lunch, head to the Mooring fish shack right up the road — the fresh-off-the-boat tuna on Turkish bread is insanely delicious.)
Aside from being clean, comfortable, and private, the villas are located just a short walk from one of Rarotonga's finest beaches. The lagoon is clear as day, and if you sit real still, you'll see all these cool, almost translucent crabs dancing across the beach, then falling off into their little crab holes. We ventured down to the beach nearly daily, sometimes to snorkel or kayak and sometimes just to watch the surf and sunset (Makayla provides both gear and kayaks, as well as reef shoes and outdoor showers). Most of the time, there wasn't another soul down there.
John and Rachel were perfect hosts, too, answering all of our questions, offering to book excursions, picking us up and dropping us off at odd hours, and generally being great sources of info about the island. They also turned us onto our favorite activities of the trip: the Koka Lagoon Cruise and the progressive dinner. Oh, and silly us! When we packed up and left a piece of jewelry behind, they got in touch with us and offered to ship back — all the way around the world. Good people, they are.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makayla Palms boutique accommodation is situated in the heart of Titikaveka, and steps away from the stunning Titikaveka Lagoon. The white sandy beach is one of the premium spots on the island for snorkeling, swimming and kayaking. Makayla Palms is the ideal place for you to unwind and relax in modern and tasteful surroundings and from where you can enjoy all Rarotonga has to offer. Our focus is our guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Makayla Palms reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makayla Palms Hotel Titikaveka
- Makayla Palms Rarotonga, Cook Islands - Titikaveka