“Nice lunch spot!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Zealand
“Nice lunch spot!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were staying at a private accommodation quite close to Little Polynesian and came for lunch on three or four occasions. We had our favourite table on the sand each time overlooking the beach and the gorgeous infinity pool and had excellent food and service on every occasion. We should recommend three of the staff in particular who were friendly, helpful and extremely efficient - Vicki on the front desk, Seth who looked after our food and drinks for us so very well and always with good humour, and Marylyn (hey managers - get the poor girl a proper name badge - it's MARILYN!!) who was smiley and welcoming. It's the service that can often make the experience a great one but the food is important too. This is where I put in a mention for the warm Black Forest Cheesecake served with icecream. OMG - YUM!!! Do yourself a favour and ask for this - it will rock your world, I promise. Well done for having Matutu on the winelist too. This local beer is extraordinarily good and should be supported by all local businesses, so nice to see that it's promoted here at Little Poly too. See you next year, and don't you dare take the cheesecake off the menu!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
lpoly, Assistant Manager at Little Polynesian Resort, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Kia orana

It was lovely seeing you come in each day while you were here. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a lovely review for us. By the way about Marilyn's name tag I only found out last week it was incorrect, I can't believe she told you before she told me, LOL. I have ordered a replacement for her.

That is so funny that you like the warm cheesecake. We have had people complain about it and I myself do not like it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. All the best for the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Fabulous location. As weather wasnt the greatest, we spent a lot of our 3 days around the Little Poly, just enjoying the luxurious villa done to a very high spec. Food and service was very good too. Grounds impeccably groomed.

Room Tip: Beachfront Villa a must
Kia orana

Thank you for taking the time to post a lovely review about our resort. I always feel bad when the weather is not perfect, but I am so glad you did not let it spoil your stay with us.

All the best for the future.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My best friend & I stayed at Little Poly for 6 nights in June 2013. We booked directly through Little Poly and Vicki was always quick to reply to our emails. Upon arrival, we were advised we had been upgraded to a beach front villa which was very, very much appreciated!!! The room was stunning, beautifully designed and finished, very clean & not at all tacky! There was nothing better than falling asleep and waking to the sound of the waves crashing on to the reef. The resort itself is small but beautifully simple in its design & lovely and quiet! Eating breakfast while overlooking the infinity pool & beach was the perfect way to start the day! The location was great, close to Fruits of Rarotonga (great snorkeling location) and about a 45min walk to Muri for great beaches and restaurants. Vicki, the manager, was fantastic and took the time to orientate all guests personally with the resort. All the staff were friendly & extremely helpful assisting us in booking tours and places for dinner and providing advice on what to do & how to get around during our stay. Thanks for making out stay so comfortable! We would recommend Little Poly to anyone!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for the high praise. I am actually the Assistant Manager but I appreciate your promotion. It was lovely having you both stay with us. I only wish the weather was better for your stay.

All the best for the future and thank you for taking time to post such a lovely review for our resort.
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We had five heavenly nights in 2008 when the "Little Poly" was in its heyday.
On this stay, 29th June-2nd July, Vicky and Aporo were amazing and the location will always be sublime, but, WOW, what happened to the food?
Some of the staff were off, we assumed they were having a bad day!
We ate out a lot and just enjoyed the beach and the lovely Lagoon.

You can't fault Rarotonga when all is said and done!

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely. The beach Ares have the beach of course, but, the Garden Tiares are quiet...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
lpoly, Assistant Manager at Little Polynesian Resort, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Kia orana, thank you firstly for filling out the guest comment card and for sitting down and talking about the constructive things you had to say. I know we can not be perfect (although this is what we strive for) and I appreciate the comments you had about where we can improve.

Since you have departed our shores we have sat with the chefs and re-evaluated things. Looked at new and innovative menus (the kind you may expect from us). Hopefully we are heading in the right direction. You stated that you would not return here again and I find this very unfortunate, but I wish you all the best for the future.

Kind regards
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

After reading some of the great reviews of Little Polynesian, I am even more disappointed of our own experience during our stay.

We chose Little Poly to celebrate our honeymoon, but left feeling pretty 'ripped off'.

Unfortunately our experience was not the fairytale I had dreamed of.

Firstly while the service was adequate, we had no personal touch, no reference to the fact we were celebrating a special time, and were given the impression that we were an inconvenience having to ask for towels, a beverage, a working safe in our room....

Our room on site looked lovely, however over time it was not somewhere we would chose to send much time. The bed was extremely uncomfortable with wires sticking through the mattress, bathrooms rarely cleaned, and a garden full of cigarette butts. We just would have expected much more for what we paid.

I wont bore you with all the negative details about our stay, as we'd rather not dwell on it, however would hate for anyone else to experience the same disappointment when celebrating such a special time. Rarotonga itself is a beautiful place, great food and stunning beaches. I just wonder, why was our experience at Little Poly soooo the complete opposite from everyone else's? We are very laid back people, very easily pleased............ I don't know what went wrong on this occasion.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We have just spent 6 nights at this sensational little resort. We wanted a relaxing and quiet holiday in a luxury resort and we got all that. This resort has 10 villas sitting on a magnificient beach lagoon. You step out of your villa onto the beach and then a few steps into the crystal clear water. The villa is spacious with a king bed looking straight across the water, large bathroom, with an additional shower and spa outside. Each villa also has large verandah out the front, complete with a day bed to lounge on and just watch the ocean beyond. The restaurant, also has the same stunning views and is great for all meals. Breakfast is buffet of fruits, cereals and breads, but hot foods also available. We had lunch and dinner there a couple of times and could not fault the selection, freshness and cooking of the food. All staff were so great, and a special thanks to the Resort Manager, Vicki Wells who was always so willing to help us with anything we needed, also to Marlyn and Seth who always seemed to be there in the restaurant, with big friendly smiles.
This resort is just so special, I hope we can return very soon.
Peter and Sharon

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get an over beach villa
Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife and me spent 7 wonderful nights at the Little Poly from June 15th-22nd for our belated honeymoon. After reading all the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor we found an online deal and booked. My first point of contact was via email with Vicki and she could not help us enough. She responded to my email enquiries almost instantaneously. Upon arrival in Rarotonga we were greeted by the transfer service and whisked off to Little Poly. We were expecting to stay in a Pia Tiare (garden room) but were blown away when Vicki upgraded us to an Over the Beach Are (bungalow) upon arrival. Complete with our own spa and king size bed these bungalows are designed with Polynesian authenticity in mind - just look at some of the pictures of these rooms above. The views of the reef from the bungalows were amazing and the sound of the waves breaking and the breeze passing through the coconut palms was completely relaxing and made me sleep 10 hours per night instead of my usual interrupted 7! But our wonderful experience did not just end there...

The service and attention to detail was also amazing and all the staff could not help enough and did everything to make our stay extra special. I think Vicki and Augustine deserve special mention for looking after us. Vicki also persuaded us to visit Aitutaki on a day trip, which was expensive, but in retrospect, was definitely worth it. Thank you Vicki! The breakfasts were simple, but fresh and tasty, consisting of a variety of tropical fruit (e.g., papaya, coconut, sun- ripened pineapple, banana, water melon, grapefruit etc), 4 different cereals, yoghurt, cheese, ham, breads and conserves/honey/Vegemite, muffins, 3 different types of juices, various teas and fresh Cook Islands coffee. The al a carte menu was also very good. We particularly enjoyed the seafood curry!

Staying at the Little Poly definitely made our honeymoon experience all the better and I couldn't recommend it enough for couples wanting that extra attention the (Little) Polynesian way...

Thank you Vicki and staff for the experiences that will last my wife and me a lifetime.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an Are instead of Pia Tiare if you can afford it - they face the beach. You'll unders...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow I felt like crying when I read you review it was so lovely and beautifully written. It is guests like you both who make our jobs a real pleasure.

Thank you for taking the time to let everyone on trip advisor know how awesome our little resort is. It was fantastic meeting such a lovely couple.

Been to Little Polynesian Resort? Share your experiences!