“Perfection” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 366, Titikaveka, Cook Islands   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Titikaveka
“Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We recently stayed at the Little Polynesian for our honeymoon. As soon as we arrived we were greeted so warmly by hotel manager Sam, that we instantly felt at home. The resort is absolutely beautiful, without a doubt the best on the island. We stayed in one of the beachfront villas. The beach was literally a couple of steps away from the front door, with our own little deck lounge seperating the two. I cannot tell you the amount of times we fell asleep on the deck to the sound of the ocean. The food was amazing, I strongly recommend the Seafood Pasta, absolutely mouth watering, and the smells coming from the kitchen at lunch and dinner was amazing. We always looked forward to the tropical breakfast, as it was always fresh and plenty of it.
The staff were so welcoming at the resort, making us feel so comfortable. We cannot give enough credit to Sam, anything we wanted - he went out of his way to get for us. Absolute paradise. We have already decided we're going back for our one year anniversary.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
lpoly, Assistant Manager at Little Polynesian Resort, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Kia orana

I am sorry I did not get to meet you guys but I am so glad Sam was there for you. He is a great Resort Manager and a real people person. I will pass on your lovely comments to all concerned. Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review.

Kind regards

Vicki Wells

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband and I booked a garden villa at this beautiful hotel. Upon arrival, they upgraded us to a beachfront villa, I assume because they weren't that busy. It was perfection. The food and service at the hotel surpassed our experiences at the other places we stayed in Rarotonga and Aitutaki. I think there are better snorkeling spots down at Muri Beach and in the waters right in front of The Sanctuary Hotel further to the west, but I would much rather stay here. Great hotel. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We went off peak and this got us upgraded to the exceptional beach front villa.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kia orana

"Perfection" thank you so much for that. That is high praise indeed and we hope to continue to live up to it. Thank you for taking up some of your valuable time to post such a lovely review of our resort. I have to tell you though that one of the dive companies (The Dive Centre) says we have the best diving area on the island. Just saying LOL.

Kind regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The Little Polynesian is a boutique resort on the southern side of Rarotonga. It consists mostly of beachside bungalows and a couple of smaller garden bungalows. Whilst some of the other resorts situated at nearby Muri have better access to the lagoon and small islands, the Little Polynesian's beach location is pretty and convenient for swimming and other watersports. The Little Polynesian is also a more pleasant, less touristy environment and the bungalows are a very light, clean and modern design with plenty of room. The only potential improvement could be to provide a small clothes horse to hang wet swimware and towels, but otherewise they are very comfortable.
The staff are very friendly and helpful. As an example, the GM Sam drives guests to nearby restaurants when getting buses or taxis proved problematic.
Whilst the restaurant's menu isn't extensive, the food is good value and of high quality.
The island's bus company passes the Little Polynesian on the hour and 20 past the hour (one going clockwise the other, anticlockwise) so transport around Rarotonga is relatively easy. However, if you want more flexibility (particularly when travelling on the weekend when the buses are less frequent) you may be advised to rent a car or bike.

Room Tip: Whilst it is never overly noisy or raucous, you may want to avoid the 2 bungalows adjacent to the po...
Kia orana

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our beautiful resort. You are right, because we take up quite a long stretch of beach you can feel like you have the beach to yourself. This will never happen on Muri.
We hope to one day see you again in our little corner of paradise.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had such a great experience at the Little Poly resort. We stayed over Christmas 2012 and had a wonderful time. The staff were friendly and very helpful (especially Ovaia) and the resort was gorgeous. Our room had amazing amenities like an outdoor spa and shower. The food was really delish and fairly reasonably priced. I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone that asked. It was quiet, relaxing and tranquil, exactly what we were looking for.

Kia orana

Thank you for posting such a lovely review about our resort and staff. I will pass your comments on to them. We do have a beautiful little corner of paradise and I am so glad you had an enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your compliments to the staff.

Ka kite ano (see you again)

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

...truly the hidden pearl of the Pacific. The Little Poly defines peace, serenity and tranquility. Luxury and modesty all in one!

This amazing little resort was the most tranquil, peaceful and magical place we have traveled to in a long time. The staff are amazing and Sam Napa the GM has and continues to do a phenomenal job running the facilities.

What impressed us the most is the hygiene of the facility. The staff are all professional and very particular for their guest's comfort.

The restaurant is great, the drinks are awesome. We got upgraded to a beach bungalow. This was spectacular.

I strongly recommend you ask Sam or Ovaia to help you book a scooter/bike to get around. Stop by ShipWreck and the Hidden Cafe for a drink. The water is just perfect!

We stayed here from Dec. 13-19. There were not children on the resort at the time.

Room Tip: ask for a beach bungalow.
Kia orana

Thank you so much for your fantastic comments they are written so beautifully you sound like a travel writer. I would love to post them on our website if that is ok. I loved your heading "The best kept secret of the Cooks. As you can imagine from our perspective we don't want to be a secret, but I understand it from your perspective. Thanks again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel, still small enough to make you feel like part of a bigger family. Staff were great, we got even invoted to a party and whenwver there was any truoble (transfers, tour operators ans auh), ver helpful. Only negative thing (especially regarding the price) was the breakfast, which was nice but with only little variety became a bit too foreseeable after a couple of days

• Stayed December 2012
lpoly, Assistant Manager at Little Polynesian Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Kia orana

Thank you for staying with us and also for posting a lovely review on Trip Adviser. We loved having you both at our staff party. I am glad you found the staff great. I will pass on your comments to them. I will also pass on your comments about the breakfast buffet to ensure there is a little more variety on the breakfast buffet.
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The Little Poly is a well appointed adult resort. Its amenities include a great cafe, nice infinite pool, beautiful setting, Kayaks and the addition of new Stand up boards. The resort is all about allowing you just to relax and create wonderful memories. Just as a note this is the 4th time we have stayed at The Little Poly with each visit being 12 days and I can tell you clearly about each trip. This is not the type of vacation spot that is just ho hum and you won’t remember! With each visit we have noticed minor improvements showing the team’s dedication to making the Little Poly Experience better each time. Sam, Vicki and the rest of the team are doing a great job! This resort is on the nicest beach on the island and has some great snorkeling right in front of your Ares.

The Ares. The Ares are designed to showcase your view of the lagoon. Each Are has a private deck and in front of it is your own section of basically private beach. If this was Hawaii you would have a thousand rooms facing the same amount square footage of beach as the 10 Ares at the Little Poly. The deck is appointed with a great day bed for reading and napping with a tropical breeze gently cooling you and deck chairs for watching the lagoon. This trip we watched humpback whales breach straight out from our deck right on the other side of the reef! How spectacular! Each Ares has its own courtyard with a private outdoor shower, and jetted tub for those truly romantic nights or for just relaxing. There is a small fridge for storing snacks, a couple pieces of fruit etc.

The lagoon in front of the Little Poly. The snorkeling is always amazing. We go out most days for an hour or so. I believe the resort offers equipment for use but I would recommend bringing water shoes. The lagoon is nice and sandy but the shoes are important just in case you step on a stone fish, not common on this beach but.... Straight out from the resort we saw stingrays, clams and of course lots of fish. I recommend first thing in the morning (daybreak) getting up once when the lagoon is dead calm and you can watch the bright blue parrot fish feeding, their tails come out the water and they are very close to shore feeding on the reefs.... There are also schools of small flying fish along the shore that will fly when you disturb them. Make sure you take out the kayaks or stand up paddle boats. The stand up paddle boats are very stable and standing up you get to see a lot of the fish very clearly without snorkeling.

The Cafe. The Cafe has a limited menu; however, I feel it is better to make a few items well than have many items that are mediocre. I have never had a bad meal and the black forest cheese cake was the crowning glory. If you do want to venture out there are several good restaurants very close. The Hidden Garden Cafe across the road is excellent! They make an interesting cheese cake - lemon meringue...along with other memorable items. with either place you won't go wrong. The Little Poly tropical breakfast is excellent offering a selection of juices, meat, cheese, cereals, muffins, toast and tropical fruit. Mid afternoon I recommend either lounging in the pool or sitting at the tables beside the pool and order a drink or iced coffee. I believe over the 12 days I tried 6 different cocktails and then returned to my 3 or 4 favorites. It became a favorite afternoon tradition for unwinding.

When you want to venture away from the Little Poly…There are the quads in Muri for a nice trip into the back country, island nights at various places close, the Thursday night market down the road is fun to hit – try the kebobs and the tornado potatoe, Wigmore falls aren’t too far away and the entrance to the cross island trek is there. Really everything is relatively close whether you are taking a scooter, car or the bus... Vicki and the staff will point you in the right direction.

Changes since we were last at the Little Poly 3 years ago. They do personal pickups and drop offs at the airport. The landscaping has really been cleaned up and a nice water feature added. A small splash of color added to rooms in a couple of toss cushions and bed piece, an internet / business room by the front office and a tropical breakfast buffet added.

The Staff. Sam, Vicki and the rest of the staff are warm and welcoming. They will definitely try to make your get away as great as possible. Fantastic as always.

We have checked out several different properties on the island and we have yet to find one that compares to the Little Poly for the perfect setting, beach, food and accommodation. We stay at The Little Poly two weeks at a time and still don’t get tired of it. Check it out for yourself.

Black Pearls. While you are on the island there are lots of Black Pearls. If you are looking for Black Pearls there are two places I can recommend in Rarotonga. I won’t buy pearls from any place but the Cook Islands I know what I’m getting are genuine and the quality that I am paying for. The first place I would recommend is Colin Rattle - look for a bright yellow sandwich sign on the edge of the road heading toward town just maybe 2 to 3km away towards Muri. Follow the arrow pointing off the road. You will find him very honest, personably and only sells quality pearls at reasonably prices. Paul, his son is also working with him and is really making some nice items. The other store I would recommend is Bergman’s. They are a fashion forward higher end store with many beautiful pieces to suite the most discerning buyer. Bergman’s main store is located in Avarua. I have dealt with both for the last 9 years and have no complaints.

Room Tip: If you can't afford the over beach Ares go for the garden room. You still have all the ameniti...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Oh my goodness your comprehensive review made me cry, it was so beautiful. I will ensure I pass on your comments to all our staff. They work very hard and it is wonderful when we have comments from people like you who notice and appreciate the little things. It is also very gratifying to have your comments because you have been back to us several times. As always we look forward to seeing you again in our little corner of paradise.

Been to Little Polynesian Resort? Share your experiences!