“The best kept secrets of the Cook Islands,” 5 of 5 stars

Little Polynesian Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 366, Titikaveka, Cook Islands   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Titikaveka
Toronto, Canada
“The best kept secrets of the Cook Islands,”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

...truly the hidden pearl of the Pacific. The Little Poly defines peace, serenity and tranquility. Luxury and modesty all in one!

This amazing little resort was the most tranquil, peaceful and magical place we have traveled to in a long time. The staff are amazing and Sam Napa the GM has and continues to do a phenomenal job running the facilities.

What impressed us the most is the hygiene of the facility. The staff are all professional and very particular for their guest's comfort.

The restaurant is great, the drinks are awesome. We got upgraded to a beach bungalow. This was spectacular.

I strongly recommend you ask Sam or Ovaia to help you book a scooter/bike to get around. Stop by ShipWreck and the Hidden Cafe for a drink. The water is just perfect!

We stayed here from Dec. 13-19. There were not children on the resort at the time.

Room Tip: ask for a beach bungalow.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
lpoly, Assistant Manager at Little Polynesian Resort, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Kia orana

Thank you so much for your fantastic comments they are written so beautifully you sound like a travel writer. I would love to post them on our website if that is ok. I loved your heading "The best kept secret of the Cooks. As you can imagine from our perspective we don't want to be a secret, but I understand it from your perspective. Thanks again.

255 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel, still small enough to make you feel like part of a bigger family. Staff were great, we got even invoted to a party and whenwver there was any truoble (transfers, tour operators ans auh), ver helpful. Only negative thing (especially regarding the price) was the breakfast, which was nice but with only little variety became a bit too foreseeable after a couple of days

• Stayed December 2012
lpoly, Assistant Manager at Little Polynesian Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Kia orana

Thank you for staying with us and also for posting a lovely review on Trip Adviser. We loved having you both at our staff party. I am glad you found the staff great. I will pass on your comments to them. I will also pass on your comments about the breakfast buffet to ensure there is a little more variety on the breakfast buffet.
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The Little Poly is a well appointed adult resort. Its amenities include a great cafe, nice infinite pool, beautiful setting, Kayaks and the addition of new Stand up boards. The resort is all about allowing you just to relax and create wonderful memories. Just as a note this is the 4th time we have stayed at The Little Poly with each visit being 12 days and I can tell you clearly about each trip. This is not the type of vacation spot that is just ho hum and you won’t remember! With each visit we have noticed minor improvements showing the team’s dedication to making the Little Poly Experience better each time. Sam, Vicki and the rest of the team are doing a great job! This resort is on the nicest beach on the island and has some great snorkeling right in front of your Ares.

The Ares. The Ares are designed to showcase your view of the lagoon. Each Are has a private deck and in front of it is your own section of basically private beach. If this was Hawaii you would have a thousand rooms facing the same amount square footage of beach as the 10 Ares at the Little Poly. The deck is appointed with a great day bed for reading and napping with a tropical breeze gently cooling you and deck chairs for watching the lagoon. This trip we watched humpback whales breach straight out from our deck right on the other side of the reef! How spectacular! Each Ares has its own courtyard with a private outdoor shower, and jetted tub for those truly romantic nights or for just relaxing. There is a small fridge for storing snacks, a couple pieces of fruit etc.

The lagoon in front of the Little Poly. The snorkeling is always amazing. We go out most days for an hour or so. I believe the resort offers equipment for use but I would recommend bringing water shoes. The lagoon is nice and sandy but the shoes are important just in case you step on a stone fish, not common on this beach but.... Straight out from the resort we saw stingrays, clams and of course lots of fish. I recommend first thing in the morning (daybreak) getting up once when the lagoon is dead calm and you can watch the bright blue parrot fish feeding, their tails come out the water and they are very close to shore feeding on the reefs.... There are also schools of small flying fish along the shore that will fly when you disturb them. Make sure you take out the kayaks or stand up paddle boats. The stand up paddle boats are very stable and standing up you get to see a lot of the fish very clearly without snorkeling.

The Cafe. The Cafe has a limited menu; however, I feel it is better to make a few items well than have many items that are mediocre. I have never had a bad meal and the black forest cheese cake was the crowning glory. If you do want to venture out there are several good restaurants very close. The Hidden Garden Cafe across the road is excellent! They make an interesting cheese cake - lemon meringue...along with other memorable items. with either place you won't go wrong. The Little Poly tropical breakfast is excellent offering a selection of juices, meat, cheese, cereals, muffins, toast and tropical fruit. Mid afternoon I recommend either lounging in the pool or sitting at the tables beside the pool and order a drink or iced coffee. I believe over the 12 days I tried 6 different cocktails and then returned to my 3 or 4 favorites. It became a favorite afternoon tradition for unwinding.

When you want to venture away from the Little Poly…There are the quads in Muri for a nice trip into the back country, island nights at various places close, the Thursday night market down the road is fun to hit – try the kebobs and the tornado potatoe, Wigmore falls aren’t too far away and the entrance to the cross island trek is there. Really everything is relatively close whether you are taking a scooter, car or the bus... Vicki and the staff will point you in the right direction.

Changes since we were last at the Little Poly 3 years ago. They do personal pickups and drop offs at the airport. The landscaping has really been cleaned up and a nice water feature added. A small splash of color added to rooms in a couple of toss cushions and bed piece, an internet / business room by the front office and a tropical breakfast buffet added.

The Staff. Sam, Vicki and the rest of the staff are warm and welcoming. They will definitely try to make your get away as great as possible. Fantastic as always.

We have checked out several different properties on the island and we have yet to find one that compares to the Little Poly for the perfect setting, beach, food and accommodation. We stay at The Little Poly two weeks at a time and still don’t get tired of it. Check it out for yourself.

Black Pearls. While you are on the island there are lots of Black Pearls. If you are looking for Black Pearls there are two places I can recommend in Rarotonga. I won’t buy pearls from any place but the Cook Islands I know what I’m getting are genuine and the quality that I am paying for. The first place I would recommend is Colin Rattle - look for a bright yellow sandwich sign on the edge of the road heading toward town just maybe 2 to 3km away towards Muri. Follow the arrow pointing off the road. You will find him very honest, personably and only sells quality pearls at reasonably prices. Paul, his son is also working with him and is really making some nice items. The other store I would recommend is Bergman’s. They are a fashion forward higher end store with many beautiful pieces to suite the most discerning buyer. Bergman’s main store is located in Avarua. I have dealt with both for the last 9 years and have no complaints.

Room Tip: If you can't afford the over beach Ares go for the garden room. You still have all the ameniti...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Oh my goodness your comprehensive review made me cry, it was so beautiful. I will ensure I pass on your comments to all our staff. They work very hard and it is wonderful when we have comments from people like you who notice and appreciate the little things. It is also very gratifying to have your comments because you have been back to us several times. As always we look forward to seeing you again in our little corner of paradise.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is a lovely place in a fantastic spot. The staff are all really friendly and helpful, nothing is a problem. I had a car, so the distance did not bother me - is approx half way around the island.
The room is lovely and modern, and airy with the choice of leaving louver open to let the air in or use the air con.
The deck is really great, with the day bed is a perfect way to finish the day with a glass of wine and nibbles. The Lagoon is straight outside and perfect to swim in, the outside spa and shower were great, I tried the shower but not the bath. I was on my own for a family wedding, but would love to come back with my husband.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Kia orana

Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review. I am so glad you loved it. "Like living in a postcard" may now be added to our website as a comment.

We do hope you bring your husband back with you next time.

Kind regards
Vicki Wells
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My husband I recently spent 7 nights at Little Poly for our honeymoon and we cannot say enough wonderful things about this gem of a resort in paradise. From the moment we arrived, Vicki and the rest of the staff made sure they did everything in their power to ensure our stay was enjoyable and comfortable. Walking into our beach bungalow was very much like walking into pure paradise. The view is beyond stunning, the rooms are very impeccably appointed, and the private beach that the resort sits on is truly what honeymoons are made of. The couch on the back deck of the bungalow is so relaxing, making it an easy place to enjoy morning coffee or evening drinks. Do yourself a favor and book your next vacation at Little Poly! We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Definitely spend the extra $ to book an over the beach are! It's truly magical.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
lpoly, Assistant Manager at Little Polynesian Resort, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Kia orana

Oh my goodness what a fantastic review. Thank you very much for taking the time to do this. People like you make our job really enjoyable. I am going to read your review to our management team who will pass it on to the rest of the staff. Ka kite ano (see you again)

Vicki
Moscow, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Little Polynesian is in the Muri Beach area, so it is away from the densest traffic and tourism. The beach front ares are modern, elegant, and about 50 feet from the lagoon. They are well designed and nicely decorated. they offer a deck and front sitting/eating area with great views and very comfortable living. The outdoor shower and jacuzzi area is wonderful after swimming and in the evening. The staff is friendly and helpful. The restaurant is very good, but some fish dishes were a bit overcooked for our taste. The best snorkeling on the island is a short distance away at Fruits of Rarotonga. The Takitimu Conservation Area on the central peaks gives access to nice forest with the Rarotongan monarch, the Pacific imperial pigeon, and flying fox fruit bats. The Saturday market is diverse and interesting offering tivaevae, black pearls, sarongs, foods, and much more.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about our little resort. I am so sorry your fish was not cooked to your liking. I will speak to our chefs about this. We do have some beautiful flora and fauna here on the island and it is nice to have people here who not only appreciate it but also know the names as well. We hope you will be able to visit our beautiful resort again in the future.

Vicki
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I would definitely stay here again, but scour the net to try and get a discounted deal. The hotel is roughly halfway around the island, so not remote but not stuck in the main tourist zone either.

I loved this villa/bungalow as soon as I saw it - all light-coloured wood (a nice change from the dark interior favoured by many resorts here), with plentiful vented windows (all with flyscreens) to enable you to get the best of the sea breezes (so I hardly needed to use the aircon).

The villa was in a great beachfront location and unlike some resorts, had a great beach with lovely snorkelling (lots of bright coloured fish) straight out your door because it is in a marine protection zone. All equipment is supplied, but it would be good to provide more towels.

The villas also come with a big outdoor bath (behind a wall), which was nice, although there were a few mozzies around. There is a big range of sun loungers provided, both on the villa deck area (very comfortable) and on the beach in front.

You are paying for luxury, location and the lovely villas, but even at that, it is quite expensive for the Cook Islands.

The food is good, but variety limited (as other reviewers have mentioned), so catch the local bus (or hire a scooter, as so many do) and head to some of the other nice cafes nearby.

A nice feature here is that they will call in a mobile masseuse for you - one is a staff member who also runs her own massage business, and was great - the price is much cheaper than at resorts with official spa services and you can get it done in your villa, or on the beach if you prefer.

Room Tip: All the beachfront villas seemed good - don't bother with the garden villas though, as you'l...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Kia orana

Wow thank you so much for the beautiful review. We really appreciate the time you have taken to do this. When you come back to visit us please feel free to ask for extra towels. This is not a problem and as long as we are aware our housekeeping are happy to do this each morning and evening.

The limited menu stated has also been a concern of ours. We have a new head chef who has put together some innovative and exciting dishes which use fresh local ingredients.

I feel I must mention also that our staff member is a qualified masseuse. We have had many compliments from guests about her services and you are correct if is nice to be able to have a massage in your room or on the beach. Thank you for staying in our little corner of paradise and once again for writing a lovely review.

Been to Little Polynesian Resort? Share your experiences!