“Lovely 15th century house.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cleavers Lyng

Save Saved
You added Cleavers Lyng to your Saves list
Cleavers Lyng
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Church Road, Herstmonceux, Hailsham BN271QJ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Herstmonceux B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Lovely 15th century house.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

The owner was very helpful and we had a room overlooking the beautiful countryside. We only wish that it had been summer as the rooms get rather cold at night. The breakfast was the best we have ever received in either a B&B or hotel. As someone else said it was like staying in a home, there was plenty of room to sit and have a chat and drink in front of a log fire. The bedding and towels were a very good quality. Beware the sat nav's take you down some very narrow and dirty lanes.

Room Tip: "Sunny" room has a good view with a king size bed but the shower room is rather small. Ver...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
cleaverslyng11, Owner at Cleavers Lyng, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for your review we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Cleavers Lyng.
The Sunny Room is our smallest double room, however it does have a king size bed and beautiful views. Hence why this room is the cheapest in our price range. WE have very many people coming back to this room year after year so do not be put off by the small shower room. The bedroom is not actually that small either.
My concern is that you felt cold during the night, once we get to the cold season or cooler temperature we leave the heating on all night, the rooms get rather hot which is why we have thermostatic control on the radiators. I cannot remember when you came to stay but I can only apologize if we failed to turn on the night time heating for you, please always tell us if you are feeling a little chilly, we can always provide extra heating if necessary. We close here anyhow during the worst of the winter months , December, Jan and February and sometimes during November. I do hope we get to meet you again and this time keep you toasty warm.

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Rainham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This place was superb. My initial and continuing feeling was that we had just walked into someone's house (I know that is actually the case but bear with me!), we had a very warm welcome by the owner and entered into a stunning dining area. Now the reason I say it felt like someone's home is that the only things to hint that it was a B&B were some local event leaflets on a windowsill and a TripAdvisor certificate on a display cabinet. Apart from that, there was no indication that this was a B&B and in my opinion; that is great! It was like we had be welcomed into someone's home rather than them just receiving our custom.

We we told honest information about the local places to eat and visit and in the room was a big binder with further information on places.
The room was gorgeous (and now the other half wants a Four Poster bed) and well stocked with "niceties" (toiletries, tea, coffee, biscuits, mints, bottled water).
The house itself is stunning and outside has a lovely little seating area to stare out over the fields.
Would definitely recommend and if we ever stay in the area again, we will be staying there!

Room Tip: The Four Poster bed is lush!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your nice review, thank goodness we at least get some reviews with 5 stars, we get hundreds of people staying each year and raving about Cleavers Lyng and do not write a review so it is good to see one that ticks all the boxes. We hope to see you again one of these days.
Worthing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed for two nights and enjoyed the location and found the room comfortable and breakfast generous. However, two little niggles maybe worth a mention......As soon as we arrived we were asked to settle up which we thought a little strange. The lady owner appeared rather cold towards us and kept the conversation at breakfast as brief as possible! Otherwise a very nice place to relax and unwind in a lovely setting.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I am sorry that you found me lukewarm in my welcome, I find this strange since I thought I gave the same welcome to everybody and when you read our guest book , nearly every comment is very friendly hosts etc. etc. I often have very long chats with guests and always welcome a good conversation with all of the interesting people we get here at Cleavers Lyng.
I am beginning to think that I need to do a song and dance act now on customers arrival to make it that little more special !Breakfast is a especially busy time and I do not always have the time to have long chats, and a lot of people prefer to relax at breakfast without being disturbed. But seriously if this is the way I made you feel I am really very very sorry for this, believe me I have had many a sleepless night because of your review, and it has taken me time to respond to it, because I have been really upset by it, it is never nice to have something written about yourself on a so very public forum.
As far as the payment is concerned , this always a problem whichever way we do it, some Hotels, B&Bs charge in advance of the guests arrival, some at the end of the stay and we have found that charging on arrival is the best way, the reason being is that our busiest night is normally a Saturday and most time guests check out on a Sunday morning, the busiest breakfast day, some people like to eat breakfast early and then leave early, this can often be at the same time as we are trying to serve breakfasts, the guests waiting for breakfast to be served get impatient waiting for guest checking out and the guests wanting to check out feel awkward paying in front of people eating especially if their card gets rejected (which happens a lot) or if there is a query with the bill, so we now charge at the beginning of the stay so that the guests gets privacy when paying, can have time to digest the bill and on leaving has not got the problem of paying with other guests around. I hope that this explanation helps you to understand why we do it this way.
Other then that I am pleased that everything else was to your liking. I do hope we can meet again to that I can redeem myself in your eyes - I hope !
Watford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Spouse and I stayed here for one night to visit nearby Herstmonceux Observatories, where we had a good visit too. Thought it a little costly for the night we spent but we did enjoy the tranquil garden and unusual house.
We had a little difficulty finding our way here with our ancient SatNav.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed at Cleavers Lyng for 2 nights and it was a wonderful experience. Before entering the house, first thing you will notice is the beautiful garden and wonderful English country scene! The bed is very comfortable, and the breakfast is very tasty. It is just next to the Hertsmonceux castle. There is also an old church within walking distance to visit. The hosts are friendly and helpful, and their dogs are very very cute! The house was built in 16th century, so it is old and may not be that updated. But I think this is actually the unique part about it. The roof could be low for tall people, and occasionally you will find some spot with some dust or spider web, but overall, for a hundreds-year old building, I would say it is fairly clean and well maintained. The only thing made me a bit uncomfortable is the long mirror just outside our bathroom in the hall way. It was a bit dusty and foggy, plus the fact that the house is so old, sometimes it did make me nervous...but I assume that is just because I am not a brave girl. And no, we checked, there is no ghost in this old house. ;)

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Beautiful house and gardens, very tranquil with amazing views. Nicely presented rooms and excellent breakfast cooked to order, delicious. The pet dogs are delightful. Paying cash results in 5%discount.

Room Tip: Rooms at front of hotel have great views over rolling countryside
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

A realy tranquil setting with views across the Pevensey Levels. Our room (The Sunny Room) had a double aspect so was indeed sunny and airy.
Breakfasts were excellent with a choice of fruit, ceraeals, juices and pastries including home made banan loaf to start follwed by FEB,continental hams and cheeses, smoked salmon & scrambled egg or omelette.
Very dog friendly (the owners have three small terriers) but standards of comfort and cleanlines were much more than you would expect.
Helpful hints as to what is on offer locally which was faultless.
Quiete and unobtrussive a real gem.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cleavers Lyng? Share your experiences!