“One of the best” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cranford
Bath, United Kingdom
“One of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I spend a lot of time in hotels on business. My head office is next door to the Double Tree and I regularly stay here and as airport hotels go I consider it to be one of the best. The rooms are well furnished and comfortable; the bathrooms neat clean and very functional. The staff are efficient and friendly and the food, bearing in mind it is standard menu designed for occasional visitors not regular or long term guests, is of a very high standard. My last trip was to be an overnight for my wife and I whilst going to a concert in London. Great, quiet nights sleep!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
DoubleTreeLHRAirport, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Heathrow, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is so lovely to know that as an experienced traveller, we compare well with others hotels you have stayed in. I'm pleased that overall the hotel is everything you need whilst staying away on business, and I look forward to welcoming you back again. Suzie Riddell, Front of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed here as we had an early morning flight from Heathrow. We had booked the room when the hotel was known as the Ramada, the problem was that when it came to the night of our stay no one had told us that the hotel was now known as the Double Tree by Hilton. Having driven up and down Bath Road for an hour we eventually found someone who knew of the Ramada, so not impressed with the communication side of things. However, when we finally got into our room it was very clean and comfortable. We had a nice meal in the restaurant although the temperature in the restaurant was not warm. We stayed at this hotel as the parking deal at Heathrow was very attractive through Purple Parking

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Firstly I would like to apologise that you were not made aware of the hotel re-branding. Where possible we made every effort to communicate this to our guests who had booked directly with us, and we also told all agents to pass on to their customers where we don't receive contact details. However I am pleased that once at the hotel you found the room clean and enjoyed the food quality. We have listened to feedback concerning the restaurant temperature and have adjusted this accordingly to make a more comfortable and relaxing dining environment. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel. Suzie Riddell, Front of House Manager
Cambridge, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

There are some pretty poor hotel options around Heathrow, but the Hilton Doubletree raises the standards somewhat. We stayed for one night ahead of an early morning flight, so only really saw the reception area and the bedroom, but the reception staff were very friendly, check in and out went smoothly, the rooms are quiet and comfortable, and everywhere was spotlessly clean. A few grumbles - the seal on the shower screen was useless, so the bathroom flooded each time the shower was used, and following the Heathrow hotel tradition, overnight parking and wireless internet in the room are stupidly over-priced. Overall though, a better hotel than many others in the area, very convenient for the airport and currently offering some good room-only deals (£69 for a double).

Room Tip: On a busy road, so rooms away from the road and/or on higher floors are quieter. All have good quali...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. It is fantastic to read that we have a such a great standard of hospitality when comparing us to other hotels in the Heathrow area. I'm pleased the staff were so welcoming and the room was spotless. We recognise that our internet facilities need changing, and this is currently being installed at the hotel. We anticipate to have this ready very soon and I am confident our customers will grealy benefit from this improvement. I hope we can welcome you back in the future. Suzie Riddell, Front of House Manager
Villingen-Schwenningen, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I stayed here one night because I needed to pick up a colleage early morning at the airport. I am a Hilton member so I prefer to stay within the Hilton chain and the Double Tree seemed to be a reasonable priced choice

What I liked
+ Fairly priced
+ It feels like a Hilton hotel (like coming home)
+ Parking provided

What I didn't like
- Check-in was complicated because I pre-paid the hotel over the Hilton website
- Credit card was not swiped during check-in so I had trouble to book breakfast, dinner and parking to my room
- You cannot enter the parking space when you have a European car (not right side driven). The gates close before you are back in the car
- Internet cable in the room is not working, you need to use WiFi but nobody tells you and you cannot book it to your room (it needs to be separately billed)
- Service in the bar aread is slooooooooow
- Breakfast is only available from 7am onwards ... so if you have an early flight no breakfast is provided. Other hotels are much better here
- Some street workers are sitting in the breakfast area which makes it look like a cheap diner
- Elevators are only working with your key card but the swipe system is very buggy. You need to always ask several guests until you finally find one with a working card

I probably will chose another hotel next time I need to stay near LHR.

Room Tip: Book breakfast with your booking or expect to leave 15 Pounds on the table for a mediocre breakfast.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
DoubleTreeLHRAirport, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Heathrow, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, and I'm pleased we could welcome you to the hotel as a HHonors Member. It is great to know the the hotel felt like coming home to you, as this really is something we try to create at DoubleTree.
I'm sorry that we didn't offer to swipe your card during check in. It is part of our procedure to ask all guests if they would like to leave their account open to charge extras, therefore I will re-itterate this point to all the team.
If you do return to the property and are driving a European car, please press the buzzer and we can hold the barrier open for you. We are currently installing our own Wifi throughout the hotel and I am confident this new facility will benefit all guests.
I am sorry to see you are unlikely to stay with us again, but I hope that if you do, you will see an improvement in the bar service, check in process, and internet quality. Suzie Riddell, Front of House Manager
Stock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed here before catching an early flight from Heathrow. Really wasn't expecting anything great for the £79 we paid for the room - but I was very pleasantly surprised. Parking is on-site (with a charge) and for once at a Heathrow hotel it wasn't impossible to find a space! Check-in was fast and pleasant and accompanied by a really nice, warm, chocolaty cookie! The room was very comfortable, king sized bed, shower over bath and a good supply of large towels - just what was needed after a reasonably long journey to the airport. We ate in the restaurant which offered a basic but more than adequate menu. The food was freshly cooked and service was warm and friendly. Our early morning call was on-time and our very early check-out was handled very efficiently and we were on our way in no time. All in all this was a great start to our trip and I thought the rate was excellent value for what we got.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I'm very glad you were pleasantly surprised by the hotel and that we exceeded your expectations. It is also great to know that after a long journey we could welcome you with our signature DoubleTree Cookie, and the room was comfy.
I'm pleased that we could help to start your trip in a positive way, with excellent value for money and an efficient and friendly service. I hope we can welcome you back on any future trips out of Heathrow. Suzie Riddell, Front of House Manager
Swansea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I'll begin with the thing that annoyed me the most. I don't know when it became an accepted practice for UK hotels to charge for parking, but I find it nothing short of scandolous that I was charged £11 to use the hotel car park for the night I was actually staying in the hotel. To me this shows that those running the hotel have no concern for their guests but simply want to rip them off as much as possible. One further point on car parking is tghat the disabled spaces had been stuck in an awkward corner as an afterthought and were about as far from the entrance as it was possible to get.

Reception was friendly but inefficient. Check-in was very slow despite my being the only guest at Reception at the time. Also, I was promised a breakfast bag as I was leaving too early for my included breakfast but none was provided in the morning.

The room was clean and comfortable. It was also quiet, especially considering the location of the hotel. I was very happy with the bed. The room was, however, rather small and dated and was very cold when I arrived. Despite turning the thermostat up to the maximum, the room never really warmed-up properly. The supplies on the beverages tray were also rather stingy, although the complimentary water was most welcome. Only the bare minimum of TV channels were available in the room and the picture wasn't very good on some channels.

The food in the restaurant at dinner was good. I had no complaints about the quality or cooking of the food except for the butter being so hard that an ice-pick would have been useful! Service in the restaurant was below average.

Overall, I was disappointed by this hotel - especially as it carries the Hilton name. Given the large number of hotels near Heathrow, I certainly wouldn't choose to stay in this one again.

Room Tip: My room was on the side of the hotel overlooking an office building and was quiet. The hotel fronts...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
DoubleTreeLHRAirport, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Heathrow, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for your review. We inform guests of parking charges on all websites we advertise on and also any voice reservations made. Therefore I am sorry if this was not made clear to you at the time of booking, as we certainly do not intentionally hide this charge. Whilst car parking fees are not exclusive to our hotel within the Heathrow area, please be assured that our customers feedback is monitored and used to assess the services and facilities we provide at the hotel.
Some of our disabled spaces are not right next to the main door, as these are larger spaces which would enable easier access for wheelchair users. We do also have spaces allocated right next to the hotel entrance.
I am sorry for the slow service on check in and the fact you didn't get your takeaway breakfast. This is certainly not our usual level of service, and I have reminded each team member they must inform the Kitchen of any early breakfasts.
I'm pleased you found the hotel to be clean, that the bed was comfy and you enjoyed the food at dinner. I hope we might have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Suzie Riddell, Front of House Manager
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I am a member of the Hilton Honours program & selected this hotel for a 3-night stay in October 2012 for two reasons: it was near Heathrow [I didn’t want to stay close to London and had an early flight on departure day] and was able to secure an attractive [online] rate. London hotels are generally very expensive, including those at Heathrow. If you plan to use the hotel for a 1 or 2 night stay prior to a flight, its adequate & pleasant. Its an older hotel [previously a different brand I think], but it has been refurbished, so the facilities are relatively ‘modern’. Based on my room allocation, the rooms are very small. Opposite the hotel is a range of inexpensive outlets for dine-in or take-out food, drinks and general including hairdressing, supermarket, etc. You can include car parking at 11GBP per night, which I did. Its an OK LHR hotel, provided you don’t plan a long-term stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback. I'm pleased we could welcome you to the property as a Hilton HHonors member, as we re-branded in July. I'm glad you were able to book a good rate and that you found the hotel pleasant, and it suited your needs prior to your flight. I hope we can welcome you back if you are flying out again. Suzie Riddell, Front of House Manager

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton London Heathrow? Share your experiences!