“30 Minute Lunch - Great Idea” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Milton Keynes
“30 Minute Lunch - Great Idea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Dined at the Laughing Onion today for their 30 minute lunch. Pre ordered and everything ran smoothly. Mussel Bouillabaisse was fantastic, and we would have been through in a little over 30 minutes had we not decided to have coffee and petit fours. The chilli chocolate fudge is an acquired taste, I think! Will definitely book lunch again - thanks for a lovely meal in calm surroundings.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Brackley, United Kingdom
“Beef Bourguignon was superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I was in The Laughing Onion last week as part of a large group. We pre-ordered the food as we were a large group, but our drinks orders were taken and delivered quickly and without fuss. I had the beef bourguignon which was amazing. The garlic mash was great but the beef and dumplings were amazing. I've read a couple of reviews complaining about portion size, but that was not in evidence on this night, for anyone in the group.
There was a great atmosphere in the tastefully decorated restaurant, with lots of chatter and laughter.
This was my second visit and I will certainly be back, and may just have to order the beef bourguignon again!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Beef Bourguignon was fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We ate here last Saturday night as part of a group. I enjoyed my starter of salmon & potato cake but the beef bourguignon was one of the best dishes I have tasted in a very long time. The beef was very tender, full of flavour & the dumplings on top were a great touch. The vegetables were plentiful and the garlic mash was delicious, I highly recommend this dish. Compliments to the chef, keep up the good work!

Brackley, United Kingdom
“A wonderful dining experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I visited The laughing onion. We had seen the menu outside which clearly showed the prices. My husband wanted pheasant starter but it was not available . He was offered pigeon which was a new experience for him,he really enjoyed it. I could not find anything that appealed to me but settled for the potato cake.It was nice enough but I would rather have a few old fashioned dishes. The main course of beef to share was delicious,perfectly cooked and the big fat chips were the best I have ever tasted. (I must agree with another reviewer that there were not enough) . My creme brulee was perfect and my husband's cheese and biscuits were plentiful. The staff were attentive and went to my husbands aid when he missed a step on way to the toilets.....
We will revisit the LO....

Judi B, Owner at The Laughing Onion, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments, we really appreciate people taking the time to tell us about their experience. We're really glad you enjoyed the food and look forward to welcoming you back. We have already made some changes to our portion sizes, but will take on board your comments about the chips, and the choice of starters.
Brackley, United Kingdom
“Nice evening, although still a few teething problems to iron out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

We ate here on a Saturday evening. It took quite a while before our orders were taken, and we would have liked to have been offered a drink as soon as we shown to our table. Our drinks order wasn't taken until we gave our food order - so by the time we got our bottle of wine we were gagging!!

I struggled to pick a starter as I'm not a game or fish lover and the veggie option was off, so decided against it - although the Amuse Bouche from the chef was a nice touch. My husband had the pigeon breast, which he said was good, but with only one breast the portion seemed very small. The Beef Bourginion was lovely and a better portion size, as we're the deserts.

The atmosphere was good, and the waiting staff were friendly without being over bearing. However, after taking so long to order, our food courses arrived very quickly so we did feel a little rushed. We were in and out within an hour and a half - when you are paying £73 for a meal, you expect to be able to make an evening of it.

Overall it was a nice evening and the food was a good standard, once they sort the timing issues out it will be great.

Ps - great loos ;)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Judi B, Owner at The Laughing Onion, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to give feedback. We're glad you enjoyed your meals in the main. However, we were sorry to learn of the timing issues, we are working hard to try and ensure the service is neither too fast nor too slow, clearly on this occasion we didn't get it right. We will continue to review our systems and train our staff to try and get the timing spot on in the future.