“A gem” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Mill at Gordleton

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hordle
The Mill at Gordleton
You added The Mill at Gordleton to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Silver Street, Hordle SO41 6DJ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hordle B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brighton, United Kingdom
“A gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

An excellent hotel set in beautiful grounds. We were there at a very quiet time so felt a little lonely in the dining room especially being the only ones at breakfast one morning! Still, the timing was our choice and the New Forest in the middle of winter may not be the most compelling place to visit. Our room was very comfortable and quiet - although could be noisy on balmy summer evenings when the attractive outside eating areas are in full swing. I am not sure I like the sink/vanity unit being in the bedroom itself rather than within the bathroom. Also although there was a wardrobe with good hanging facilities, there was no drawer space at all in the room, so nowhere to store even the smallest items. Ok for a couple of nights, but living out of a suitcase for much longer would be very tiresome. This is a real drawback, and a surprise in an otherwise well equipped room. I have no idea whether this applies to all rooms or not. We dined in each night of our stay and the food and service were excellent. Breakfast was well presented but perhaps a little limited (no croissants, pastries etc). Despite very minor niggles, this is an excellent small hotel with friendly staff and highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed at the mill for one night, the service was excellent and the food was top notch. The rooms were tastefully done out (much more tasteful than the website makes them look) and all the staff were more than happy to help with any requirments. Overall a brilliant way of getting away from it all, and I reckon that was one of the best roast dinners I've ever had!

We plan to go back again in the summer, and next time take full advantage of the riverside dining!

Overall, an excellent stay

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Many thanks to Liz and the staff at The Mill. We were made to feel really welcome and nothing was too much trouble during our stay 15 - 18 Feb 2013.
There has been much attention to small details, both in terms of food and accommodation. We stayed in the suite which was lovely - and as a treat had a beautiful breakfast in our room each morning. We also had an evening meal and again the quality of the food and the service was excellent. It makes a huge difference having the owner on hand and on-site to set a high standard in everything the hotel provides. Thanks again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We spent a couple of nights here. The Mill is full of character, beautiful gardens, not to mention the ducks! The Fallow room was lovely, overlooking the garden and the river, really comfortable bed, plenty of space and super bathroom. The gardens looked really good in February – they must be stunning in the summer. The staff were friendly and attentive. The food was delicious – one small criticism – we found that if you had a starter and a main dish, the main followed too quickly. This is obviously a personal thing but we'd rather have five or ten minutes between courses. Can't fault the efficiency.

Room Tip: Suggest rooms overlooking the river and garden.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The Mill is stunning all year round but my favourite time is in the summer when we sit outside feeling as if we're in a Monet painting. The owner, who I believe is called Liz, is one of the most inspiring business women I've come across. Her welcome is warm and friendly, her team are completely service minded but in that fun, relaxed way and the whole place under her ownership has that "sorted" feel. It's hard to find fault here, not that you'd want to - it's just one of those places that has it all. The rooms and public areas are beautiful, the ambiance is great and the garden is stunning. We love it and look forward to more visits.

Room Tip: They are all lovely in their own unique way.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My boyfriend took me here as a surprise on my birthday as he had been to a wedding here earlier in the year and loved the place. It was a cold evening when we came and the restaurant and grounds were so pretty and inviting, warm and cozy too. Our food was exceptional and the service was really lovely - a nice balance between attentive but not in a robotic way, it is all very friendly here. The nicest part of the evening was when we retired to the cozy bar area after our meal with a cup of tea for me and more wine for my partner! We sat is lovely comfortable chairs in front of the roaring open fire and stayed there for a couple of hours. A really wonderful eveing, one I won't forget. I will recommend this lovely place to my friends and family alike as although we visited as a couple, it is a lovely place for families or big parties - there was an engagement party there when I went. Can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I was down in the New Forest to meet my son and daughter for a Christmas get to get gether as I am going be away for xmas and asked my daughter and son to suggest somewhere we could all have a lovely lunch and chat,They suggested the Mill,as they had been there many months before. I have to say this place was beautifull,cosy,and a joy to be at. It is not the cheapest of venues, but I knew that and was happy to pay the prices, Not one of us could fault the food it was delicious and well presented and every morsel was to be savoured, Each one of had a different starter and each us tried a bit of each others and all tasted amazing, but think the Haddock souffle starter was the outright winner that my daughter choose- Lymington crab 2nd and Duck confit 3rd and beef carppacio the runner up, freshly made bread rolls, still warm -yummy, Main courses excellent, three of my party had fillet steaks-perfectly cooked as requested and presented very nicely,I had Salmon and Prawns with pac choi and a japanese style salsa- baked enpapilotte(greased paper envolope sealed so all the juice flavours remain to steam the fish) Stunning dish, all the tastes merge to a wonderfull cacaphony that explodes on your pallette and one of those moments that you dont want the food to finish as you want to savour it forever,none of us tasted each others main, I think more because we did not want to share and wanted it all for ourselves. We all had desserts again all diffrent and scrumptious, Baileys cheesecake, pinapple Tarte tan and a wonderfull chocolate dessert(very rich) so you might have to undo a button or two and beautifully presented. One of the nicest things was that we were not hurried by the staff for each course allowing us time to enjoy each course and a decent interval after main before desserts, for us that was nice as we had all the time in the world. the staff all though attentive did not seem obtrusive. The only slight negatives was that, no steak knifes or fish cutlery was offered( not the end of the world but felt that was a pretty standard thing to forget to give) We also asked for a jug of water twice but it never arrived, and having to pay for the bread rolls, given the prices for the meal, felt that was not a good thing. The grounds are lovely as they have many sculptures in the garden that are wonderfull and well worth a look. All in all fantastic lunch and we will be returning again and hope to be able to stay also. We paid £200.00 in total including soft drinks and 2 glasses of wine for 4 people.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Mill at Gordleton? Share your experiences!