“Disappointing dinner” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Dolphin Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Beer
The Dolphin Hotel
You added The Dolphin Hotel to your Saves list
Fore Street, Beer, Seaton EX12 3EQ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beer
UK
“Disappointing dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

We were not staying at this hotel but decided to try the restaurant for dinner one evening during our stay in Beer. The dining room is definitely more like a hotel than a restaurant in ambience, which is pleasant enough and reflected the age of the building.

The restaurant was very busy and with the low ceiling where we were seated was quite loud but with a good atmosphere.

The waitress seemed harried and rushed off her feet. I ordered bream fillets and my husband had slow cooked pork belly. Both main components of the dish were good. However, they were let down by very poor accompanying vegetables - watery green beans, leathery carrots and bland broccoli, alll of which bore the hallmarks of the microwave.
Oddly, both boiled and roast potatoes were served and i suspect that Aunt Bessie had a hand in the roasties which were strangely tasteless.

The meal overall was ok enough not to complain about specifics, we were hungry and it was busy, but it did not live up to any of the other culinary experiences we had during our stay in Devon and we will not return here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
dolphinhotelbeer, Owner at The Dolphin Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Thank you for your review of your meal, whilst I am glad that you enjoyed the Belly Pork and Bream I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the vegetables served with your meal. Our vegetables are all cooked in a steam oven and clearly were not drained well enough (hence the watery greens) but I can assure you that they were fresh seasonal vegetables. Our potatoes are also cooked that day and I am surprised that you thought they were tasteless. At the Dolphin Hotel we do serve large portions of food as we like to satisfy our customers appetites which is why when you order you are asked if you'd prefer chips or potatoes (boiled and roasted). As both Owner and Head Chef at the Dolphin I would like to extend my apologies on the Hotels behalf and am sorry that you feel that you would not like to visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
chichester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Needed to pop down to the area at short notice and managed to grab the last available room. Arrived quite late in the day and upon parking in the private car park, I noticed that there were plenty of customers enjoying the sunny evening (yes I did say sunny !). Made my way to reception and was professionally and politely greeted, a simple painless check in and off up to my room. Immaculate is the only way I could describe it, everything newish, bathroom spotless, bed very comfy, great start. Down to dinner and I had forgotten to book but the staff soon remedied this and laid up a table for my guests and I. The food was simply superb which matched the dining staff, I have not met a more polite group of staff in my many travels, they really made you feel welcome. I challenge anyone to finish one of their salads, they are gigantic !!! A brilliants night sleep was complimented the next morning with a full english breakfast, again faultless. This really is a great pub/hotel and I will certainly be going back. Well done the Dolphin !!!!

Room Tip: There is at times live entertainment and if so, as for a room not above the entertainment.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
dolphinhotelbeer, Front Office Manager at The Dolphin Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Thank you for your genuine, honest review of our Hotel, it is lovely to hear some positive comments from a guest that appreciates the style and ambience of our Hotel and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and your family enjoyed their meal. Please, Come again!
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

we stayed here during a trip of Devon for two nights and loved this hotel and village. we found the staff very frendley and welcoming, the food was very good as was the beers in the bars, Our room looked out on the main road was large and clean witch is more than i can say about other hotels we stayed in,will be coming back soon. Also the carparking is great and much neaded in beer,as the main carpark is always full,thanks dolphin to the Dolphin for a top stay

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

We'd like to start this review with my sincere thanks to all the staff that made your hoilday experience in beer a wonderful and enjoyable one. Stayed here over the Easter weekend what a wonderful experience it was, can really see value for money holidays abroad are not the future when you have this beautiful little hot spot in Devon called Beer.
Fantastic food and bar. We ate the restaurant the first night I had the signature scallops incredibly fresh and jam packed with flavour. Second night we ate the bar (because the restaurant was full) also excellent. This night we got carried away with all the local and the real ales so a much needed breakfast was more than w welcome and didn't it half hit the spot lol
once again thanks to all the staff and I will defiantly be visiting you again this year
Ben and Sue

Room Tip: All rooms are recently refurbished I was told by reception
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
West Midlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Beer is an amazing place, but there is a limited choice of hotels.
As other reviewers have said it can be noisy at night with music etc from the bar downstairs, so best not to try and sleep early. We booked a twin room and I remain confused why the cost was double a single and so approx £98 which seems steep. The room was fine, but the ensuite had no lock on the door and the shower door was almost impossible to open and close. The temperature from the shower is not set by the control but varies at will between hot and cold which is not ideal. The breakfast is good but limited in time from 8-30 to 9-15 and one needs to check out by 10am.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Devon, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

This review only relates to the hotel restaurant - bar seemed a more lively option but we had booked so went ahead. Our party was served by 5 different members of staff, none of whom were particularly cheerful or welcoming. The food was distinctly average. The decor is brown. This reminds me of the sort of experience that we had 30 years ago in great British seaside hotels. Think carefully before committing to this cheerless dining room and maybe look to some of the more forward-thinking places in the area who are at least trying to be a bit different.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
dolphinhotelbeer, Manager at The Dolphin Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Whilst we welcome all reviews from our customers the Management of The Dolphin Hotel feel our decor is in keeping with a Grade II listed building that dates back a few hundred years. Staffing levels are high, working together as a team, in order to maintain efficiency in our popular Restaurant.
Tadley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

we have been going to this hotel for years cant find any better every one that has gone there with us returns time after time.
staff are great locals are fun we have never had any problems with getting a drink.food great
we always have a great time love it music is great never seen a band like the one on the bosses
birthday great place for fun.
a smart

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Dolphin Hotel? Share your experiences!