“What a welcome” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Colebrooke House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beer
Colebrooke House
You added Colebrooke House to your Saves list
Fore Street, Beer, Seaton EX12 3JL , England   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Beer B&B and Inns
stourbridge
“What a welcome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

This is the most welcoming hotel I have stayed at in the U.K.
The whole place seems to have been recently refurbished and simply oozed cleanliness.
The breakfasts were first class and served by the friendly proprieter who could not have been more obliging.
The rooms were exceptionally clean and well appointed to a very high standard.
Friends and family have stayed here for many years with no complaints but the quality of the entire hotel seems to have attained an unbelievable level.
I would find it hard to believe that anyone could find fault here.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

Spent a weekend at Colebrooke House which is half way up the main street in Beer, which is a quiet and very picturesque town on the East Devon coast. Breakfast excellent, owners friendly, bedroom clean and well-equipped. Excellent base for some great coastal path walking and just for chilling out. Not particularly blessed as a place to eat out (first time I've ever seen an Italian/Thai restaurant - with plastic tablecoths. Mamma mia ) and not a place for ravers but the people are very friendly, the Anchor is a great pub and the Indian is above average. Take the walk to Branscombe across the cliffs - excellent pub there called the Masons Arms and a NT cafe in the old bakery. The chip shop is great but shuts at 9pm on a Friday....

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

I have to say that the Colebrooke House was very nice when it comes to physical appearance of the rooms and dining areas. Everything was painted well. However, I felt the owners were not as hospitable as I would have expected. For example, my brother had just arrived from Sweden and walked into the entry lounge area and we greeted him. Although there was nobody else downstairs in the area, Dave Abbott (The owner) asked my brother to step outside because Dave expected his guests to be coming down for breakfast. My brother did step outside as asked. I then went to get the car and while I was gone, it started to rain and my brother and my wife stepped back inside to stay dry while I brought the car around. Dave Abbott asked my brother to step outside in the rain. At this point there were two guests in the breakfast dinning area (which can accommodate 10 at least). There were several other quirky things that happened but I will not go into them. However, on the last day that we were there, at 9:00AM, I asked Dave as to what the procedure was for checking out and he said that I would just have to turn in the key and the Car Park card and, of course, pay the bill prior to 10:15AM. I told Dave that we would check out at 10:15AM but we would load our luggage now and then park the car back in the Car Park. We wanted to walk around Beer for another hour before heading up to Bristol. I brought the car around and started to load the luggage and Dave Abbott came running out into the street and said he needed the key and Car Park card and I said to him that we were going to give him them at 10:15AM since we would have to pay for parking if we removed the Car PArk card from the dash of our car. Since I had already paid Dave Abbott the 410 pounds that was remaining on the bill, I was surprised that he would worry so much about us taking a key and a car park card. We had no intention of taking either one of those items back to America with us but Dave obviously felt different. To wash my hands of Colebrooke House, I gave Dave the key and the Car Park card right then at 9:15AM and went to the Car Park and paid two pounds for our remining time in Beer. If you stay less than two days, Dave seems alright but after a week, we saw his limitations. Do yourself a favor, stay at Colebrooke House if everywhere else is already full.

Been to Colebrooke House? Share your experiences!