“Awesome hotel in Agia Marina Crete” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Thalassa Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Thalassa Beach Resort to your Saves list
Thalassa Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   249 Agias Marinas Street, Agia Marina, Crete 73014, Greece   |
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Agia Marina
Tampere, Finland
“Awesome hotel in Agia Marina Crete”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

We got the best hotel we could hope. Our journey was in april 2014. The season was just beginning and we were one of the first clients in Thalassa Beach Hotel after their opening the summer season. We had booked double room with gardening view and we were upgrated to junior suite with seaview.The best bedroom we ever have had in Crete - usually the beds are hard and the pillows as well:) now we got very comfortable nights. We got also very warm wellcome and enjoyed our holliday. We recommend Thalassa Beach Hotel to everyone who wants to relax and have a good service!

Room Tip: Rooms with seaview are the best. Both double rooms and junior suites.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Heraklion, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

near the seaside, very near to chania city. peaceful area to relax and enjoy yr vacations,nice rooms very clean and excellent service from the staff. family owned so everything is closely watched and done. breakfast very good and at the taverna neat the pool you may have a lunch or a meal. a place for people without kids with. whenever we go again at chania that will be our hotel!

Room Tip: for a long stay and relax ask fr sea vew.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

A nice hotel located on the beach, close to everything. Well maintained. Serviceminded and correct staff. One receptionist with some attitude tough.
Good breakfast and lunch. Rooms clean and delicate.
Will return if Crete.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

As I researched places to stay I knew I wanted the beach style vs. Chania/City style of vacation in Crete. I read various reviews of hotels outside Chania and the nearby beaches. I wasn't really sure what to expect when we arrived at Thalassa, which sits on Agia Marina. Being a bit of a beach snob (I love wide, sandy beaches) I wasn't sure what I would think. But needless to say the resort was VERY nice and I was pleasantly surprised. The resort itself is well kept, as was our room. Our only room complaint was we were below the breakfast area, so we were woken each morning to the sound of scraping chairs. The included breakfast at the resort is wonderful - a great buffet with many options. The waffles were the best I have every had - no exaggeration. The pool is very nice, complete with swim up bar. There are a ton of chairs on the beach (each set consists of 2 padded chairs with an umbrella). The beach itself isn't the widest, but it was wide enough to accommodate 3 or so rows of chairs and then it was still 10-20ft to the water. The sand is brown, but I didn't find it to be bad. there is a offshore island and you can see the coastline of either side. I thought it was a very pretty setting. The 1st day we went in the water and it was lovely. It was calm, so it was easy to traverse over the rocks. The rocks are big and flat in many spots (vs. pebbles). Water shoes are very helpful here. If it is too wavy, you would note by able to go out in the water (if the waves knocked you over you would hit the rocks). I was happy with the beach. The annoying thing was the hawkers on the beach - selling massages or cheap souvenirs. I usually just ignored them or would shake my head no before they got to us. We didn't do any meal plans but did eat dinner at the resort - it was good quality food! We did take a day trip to Elafonisi. It was a pretty drive through the mountains. Elafonisi is spectacular - the pictures do not lie. But it was VERY crowded when we arrived (mid-morning). There was still plenty of space to have to yourself in the water, but I like my beaches a little less crowded. So this prevented me from loving it. We ended up carrying our packs over our heads and walked out to a sandbar of sorts - we set up camp here so it was a little more quiet. The beach is super shallow and clear, and the sand has tinges of pink it it. I am glad I saw it but part of me wished I just stayed at the hotel and lazed on the beach chair.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms under the breakfast room as you'll be awoken to scraping chairs.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Spent 6 days here, we were due to spend 7 days but unfortunately they were closing because of the end of season. They very nicely booked another hotel on our behalf and upgraded us for the entire stay!

The rooms were amazing, really clean and had everything you needed. The rooms weren't to spread out so it was easy to get around the hotel. The hotel has both an indoor and outdoor pool so you can swim in or outside which is lush! Really comfortable beds and pillows, black out curtains.

The pool is right on the beach so you can sit on a sun lounger by the pool turn around and the beach is behind you! They have lushious bed loungers as well so you can lay and listen to the waves.

Breakfast is brilliant, so much choice. For someone gluten free they really tried to cater for me which was great. Their lunch menu is really nice too, the best wedges and the best tuna niscoise salad I have ever had.

Location is great, you do need to drive to Chania but you can walk up the street to lots of restaurants, shops and bars. There is a massive selection! Eating out is cheap too, we paid about £50 for four of us each night including drinks.

The staff and the service was just amazing from reception, the bar, the restaurant and housekeeping. Fantastic! Manos makes the most amazing margerita cocktail - definitely have one!

I work for luxury venues and it was so nice to go to a hotel where their standards were as good as my own.

Room Tip: Don't choose the rooms on the ground floor if you can. They do over look people walking by the p...
Edelsfeld
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

This is an excellent hotel for adults only, and it is NOT open all year. Oddly, they close up during the "winter months" from around Nov. to mid April, even though the weather may still be nice. They do not taking bookings for families, so if your plan is to stay in that area with kids, there are some hotels very close to this one which offer family plans. We stayed at this hotel in mid Oct. 2013, and our stay was excellent from start to finish. Since our flight was arriving very late (11:30pm) on a Friday night, and I knew we would be tired, I contacted the hotel ahead of time and received an email from Domenica, assuring me that she could arrange for a taxi to pick us up and drive straight to our hotel - about 25min or so from the airport - 38 Euros. The taxi (nice newish shiny black Mercedes) met us at the airport and the driver was holding the latest iPad with our name in large black letters - couldn't miss him. I had to compliment him immediately on his technology skills, because all other drivers were holding paper signs! He whisked us to our hotel weaving thru the streets of Chania like a seasoned pro. The hotel staff received us with a friendly welcome, and escorted us to our room. We had reserved a room on the top floor with a sea view, and it was photo perfect. The room was nicely appointed with large sliding glass doors leading to the comfortable furnished balcony that had a superb view of the hotel pool, the Mediterranean and a small island just off the coast of the beach. Our room was a split level with the sleeping area in a loft, bathroom and living area on the lower level. The contour of the ceiling in the loft area was a bit odd, but we did not let that detract in any way. There is only one flat screen TV located in the loft so if you want to watch TV, you can only do that from your bed. There is no bathroom in the upstairs loft, so necessities require a trip down. Upon arrival to our room, there was a complimentary basket of fruit and a bottle of wine, which we were not expecting, so that was an added nice touch. A wonderful buffet breakfast is served on the main patio of the hotel with a beautiful view of the Sea. There are additional tables inside of the dining room, but most guest jockey to get a table outside, because the weather is so pleasant. On weekends there is a 'cooking station' where you can order fresh eggs, etc. any way you want them. There are many small shops, restaurants, cafes and grocery stores along the same street as the hotel. The city bus stop is also very close if you want to ride in a nice, clean air conditioned bus to the old city of Chania - about 1.30 euro per person. During our visit, I requested information from the front desk regarding car rental. The gentleman pulled out a "menu" of car companies and prices and asked me to select the size and price I wanted. He assured me that a car would be brought to the hotel within 20min., and that I could return to my room and he would call me when the car arrived. In less than 20min. I received a call, and I proceeded to the lobby and met a nice Dutch lady from "PanCar" who had a contract ready for me to sign, with full insurance. She even offered me the option of paying for the car with cash, which I did. It was the easiest car rental I had ever performed in my life. She even took the time to show me how to lock and unlock the car, the fuel door, and the headlights, turn signals and wipers. She also explained that I could return the car at the airport without any additional charges, and provided me with very simple directions on where to return the car. The rental car gave us the flexibility to explore quite a bit of the island, including the larger city of Heraklion (but I still prefer the quaintness of Chania) - but be on the lookout for goats, they are all over the island and some are not fenced in. Some friends of our who visited Chania several months earlier, had stayed in the old city center, and described their stay as excellent, but they did not rent a car. We opted for the Thalassa Beach Resort Hotel, because we did not want to be in the city center with a gazillion other tourists in cramped narrow streets (and there were a gazillion there). We preferred the quieter laid back environment that the Agia Marina has to offer, and we're totally glad that we stayed outside of the city. As you exit the rear of the hotel to walk along the beach, if you turn right (towards Chania), you'll find mostly pleasant soft sand and wide beaches along the way, with some short portions of pebbles and rocks. If you turn left upon exiting, you will encounter some short stretches of beach, but more rocks, pebbles and narrower beach areas, so the best option is to turn right. The hotel has a very small gym (mainly cardio), but it feels stuffy-moldy in there. If I was to return to Crete, I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel - the service was outstanding.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor (but not above the restaurant) facing the sea - excellent pool and s...
Oslo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Spent 12 days at Thalasse Beach Resort from 15 october 2013. This was our second trip to Chania area.

Really nothing to complain about. An excellent experience, and we do recommend this hotel to everyone.

The weather this late in the year were just great, sun every day but one, nice and warm during the day (24 - 27 Celsius), and sea temperature probably 24 - 25. 18 - 20 in the evenings.

Getting around is easy. Bus stop in the street by the hotel. Bus to Chania is 1,60, trip is 15 - 20 minutes. Regular bus connection, at least every 30 minutes. Taxi is 14 euro. Taxi from the airport was 40 euro. Lots of car hire agencies within walking distance.

We were in a jr suite with sea view. The views from the balcony were super.Suite was cleaned every day. The sitting room part of the suite was a little to small. Bathroom was large enough, but interiors a bit outdated. The bedroom part of the suite were excellent, with a big double bed that were very comfortable, perfectly firm. Slept like a log every night.

It might be worth noting that the hotel, as all the hotels in this area, is facing north. Hence you never have sun on your balcony with sea view. To get sun on your balcony you need to book a room facing inland.

Very good breakfast quality, lot of fresh made hot and cold food to choose from, and sparkling wine to go with it.

We were on half board. Different from most hotels, half board did not mean buffet, but a 4 course set meny with two choices of salad, starter and dessert, three choices for main course. In addition we were offered complimentary soup and a glass of sparkling almost every night. Excellent food! The Chef and the restaurant manager Manolis really care for theyre guests.

Lunch at the pool bar were good to, the sallads in particulare.

Wine list proved to be very well selected variety of local wines. Prices of food at wine seemed to be more or less the same as in the reastaurants in the neighborhood. We had som lunches in Chania and in Platanias, but no on could compete with the food quality at Thalassa.

Very nice spa as well.

The location is great, right on the beach. More than enough sunbeds. Nice little pool, not heated. Bar seats in th pool, so you can have a drink while swimming! Mano at the poolbar does his best to keep you going.

Beach is very nice, and long! We went for long walks barefeet in the sand, and long swims in the sea. The sea bed in front of the hotel is partly rocky, so swimshoes are recommended. But by the jet ski center, a 5 minute walk on the beach away, the sea bed is nice and sandy. Recommended!

The hotel is well kept and well maintained. The staff are friendly and always with a kind word, very helpful and service minded. This goes for everyone, from the front desk to the cleaners.

The hotel has a 16 year limit. Hence the guests were couples of all ages just enjoing having a good time off, everyone we met were kind and polite people.

All in all the Thalassa Beach Resort in Agia Marina is a great place to stay, were you feel welcome and cared for. We normally only stay one time at a particular hotel, We like to go to new places for each holiday. But we will make an exception from this rule, and go back to Thalassa in 2014. Great place!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Thalassa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!