“Fantastic Customer Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 mts West from Herradura Entrance | Playa Herradura, Central Pacific, Herradura 5024005 , Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Herradura
Chicago, Illinois
“Fantastic Customer Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

i have used trip advisor for years and felt compelled to share my experience.

Arrived @ 4:30pm and room wasn't ready. Anna at the front desk was super apologetic, walked us personally to the bar and comped our drinks. 10 minutes later our room was ready. Anna arranged for our bags to be brought straight up to the room. 10 minutes later we were lounging in the awesome pool.

Food was good. typical resort fare.

We highly recommend the Auto Mercado (grocery store) at the corner of hwy 34 and the turn off for Los Suenos. It is outstanding.

The beach is ok. Sand is super soft but the black sand makes the water look dirty.

The view of the Marina and the bay with an island in the middle is fantastic.

All in all great great great property.

ps. It is hot here. I mean really hot....90+ every day. Coming from Chicago it was a welcome change.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

1,043 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Scottsdale
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is out second visit to Los Suenos Mariott the last visit being 6 years ago. We stayed for 6 days and overall it was an enjoyable visit. Like the title says the grounds are beautiful, and, the golf course is an amazing track. The rooms and decor are definitely showing their age and this property is in need of a rehab and I hope Mariott has that planned.

Breakfast was $50 and I'm glad we had that included in our room rate or I'd be very very unhappy about paying $50 for a buffet especially with the food quality that was served. Drinks are pricey as well. My wife and I do not have kids so it was rather annoying to go to the swim-up bar and find every seat taken by young kids.

We had a room on the fourth floor of the main building directly in front of the pool area so it was a very nice view and I recommend that if you have a choice. The beds are very comfortable and we had nice restful sleeps.

The staff is very very nice at every point along the way. Sometimes the front desk staff could be more helpful but overall the staff is very attentive and courteous.

High Speed internet access is very pricey her as well - I just don't get why resorts insist on that extra cost - I work in IT and providing that service is very cheap these days - they just use it as a revenue generator and Mariott is no different unfortunately.

The location is phenomenal and very close to the shopping and nightlife in Jaco if that is your thing and there are many excursions close by the resort.

In closing would we stay there again? Probably not until Mariott refurbs the rooms/common areas. On our next visit we will be staying at the Four Seasons Papagayo - little more money for a lot more luxury and I don't have to fight kids for a bar stool :) If you are looking for a couples/romantic property this isn't it - families far outnumber the couples.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the fourth floor in the main building if you have a choice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

The staff makes you feel like they are doing you a favor by letting you stay here. I've never been in such a pricey hotel that provided poor service. My friend caught something likely from the food and was weak and dehydrated. The staff recommended he walk to the med clinic which was about half a mile away in 100 degrees. He asked if they could take him in one the golf carts upfront but again no help or compassion. He was then told to go to one of the offices to order a cab. He goes in and they ask for money. He didn't have any with him but would have easily charged it to the room. They asked he pay as soon as he gets back. None of the staff came to find me to tell me he was sent to the doctor. He was gone for about 3 hours and I couldn't find him. Things only got worse and I could go on and on.

They also hassled us when we checked in since they said our room was not confirmed even though we provided an email confirmation. After a few hours they were able to get us a room. We felt the managers apology was insincere and she didn't offer anything for our wasted time waiting for the room. I ran into her the following day and she didn't acknowledge us.

• Stayed March 2013
Irvine, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Okay so let me first start with check-in. The problems started right at the beginning. I have a black amex card so Amex requests us to make all of our reservations directly with them and not to do it directly so that they can step in and take care of any issues that come my way. So on my amex travel confirmation it say that we have a "Confirmed" room reserved with two double beds. We check in and they tell us that me that I have one king bed only and that is what we have to have. I showed them the document and told them that I had amex confirm everything with the hotel on three separate occasions. Of course they said too bad because "Confirmed" is not the same thing as "Guaranteed"! I was like are you crazy...that means the same thing! I asked to speak to the manager and I told her about this discrepancy between confirmed and guaranteed and she too thinks there is a difference between the two! In any case, they moved some other people around and got us a room but told us it would not be ready for like four hours. So we needed to change our clothes so she asked us to change in the baggage holding area (where people were constantly going in and out of)...I am thinking..is this a Marriott or a Best Western! This totally turned me off....I told her that she should make it up to me and of course the hotel manager did nothing!

Once we get the room, we go to eat something at the pool bar. It took 20 minutes just to order a drink! I was really regretting coming to this place...the servers don't even look at you to take your order...they ignore you until they are ready to take your order. I ordered a burger and told them to make it well done...was it...nope! It was not well done but had tons of pink...I sent it back and waited longer...I had one bite and it was horrible. I hated it. I sent it back...do you think they took it off the bill...NOPE! The next day there was a lady who waited 15 minutes at the pool bar just to get water and of course she got nobody to help her so she was so fed up that she just climbed right over the pool bar to grab a glass and get water herself. When they saw her on the pool bar, then they asked her what she wanted...she was so pissed off and I told her that we have had that kind of horrible service the whole time we were here!

Oh and towels...they don't just give you towels when you walk in...they make you go all the way to the opposite side of the pool area and give your room number and get towels and it your responsibility to take the towels back to them..so you have no towels to wrap around yourself to take up to your room...how stupid is that whole process?? Aren't we paying a lot to get pampered???..okay I guess them picking up towels for us is not really pampering but here it is because they don't go our of their way for you at all!

Then I got sick so I called front desk to see a doctor. I had fever and chills and was very sick...they had a doctor call me in the room and she said that she wanted to put an IV in me to rehydrate me. The doctor told me that I would have to go see her for the IV and that the clinic was just nearby the entrance to the hotel...so of course I figured it was a doctor on the property since this is a very large property...I go to the front entrance and then find out it is at the front entrance by the streeet which is 15-20 min walk! I saw the hotel has golf carts and asked if they could just take me there and they said no, I had to take a Taxi! So I had to pay $6 for a taxi to take me to the front entrance of the hotel!

Food is very overpriced and only so so. I would not recommend anyone coming here. I do not know how Marriott thinks that US travelers would like going to their hotels with this kind of abysmal service....they charge you for every single thing and they don't go at all out of their way to help you. This kind of horrible service would never be tolerated in the USA so why is it that Marriott thinks it is okay to be that way here??

I am very disappointed and would NEVER return because these people do not value our business!

The only good thing was the workout center and the spa..if you are going to stay here then I would recommend them because we enjoyed that but overall I would not come back ever again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Queretaro, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have been here many times, but this time service is just aufull. The hotel is not that busy, but waiters in the different restaurants just don't care. Besides, this week the room tariff is ihe sky, just isn't worth it.

• Stayed March 2013
Jersey City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The property is as nice as all the other reviews say - pools are particularly amazing. As another reviewer noted, felt like the Disney version of Costa Rica. The services staff are very attentive and well trained, no complaints there. Front desk was not particularly helpful (there was some confusion around the rate we had received), also couldn't provide any recommendations for dining outside of the resort. The room was just ok - for the prices they charge, would've expected it to be nicer. Our room was connected to another, and we could hear their conversations as well as their television; we could also hear guests & staff holding conversations in the hall outside our room. Having come from another Marriott near San Jose, which was 50% less costly than this one, it was disappointing to find the basics were overlooked. Would probably not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights recently on a business trip and was very impressed with the hotel. Though rather expensive, the rooms were large and clean, the service was very friendly, and the swimming pool was amazing. You could stay in it for hours and wander around. Beach disappointing. Go to Manuel Antonio national Park for a white sand beach.

Conference facilities here were also very beautiful with Spanish style and huge chandeliers. Very nice stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!