“Beautiful landscaping and macaws make this resort stand out.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 mts West from Herradura Entrance | Playa Herradura, Central Pacific, Herradura 5024005 , Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
30% Off in Paradise
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Herradura
Tucson, Arizona
“Beautiful landscaping and macaws make this resort stand out.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is probably the most beautifully landscaped Marriott property I've stayed at. The grounds are spotless and filled with what look to be native trees and flowers, as well as a large, shaded grassy area with lounges on the way to the beach. The pool is unusual in that it is mostly shallow and winds through seating areas rather than being one central swimming area. Arched walkways over the water provide welcome shade and it was very pleasant to swim. We used the pool quite a bit. There were more than enough lounges, umbrellas and chairs the entire week and the swim up bar is more spacious than most resorts (the drinks were very good). We saw a few people with children and I noticed they have a sandy area for kids and an indoor play room. The property's architecture is quite lovely, with a Spanish influence in style and colors, and the interior common areas are as nice as any I've seen. Our room was a ground floor King with a small patio that we used a lot - note that most of the rooms do not have balconies, so getting a room with a patio was a real treat. The room was large, comfortable and had a very nice bathroom. Everything was in perfect condition and the housekeeper was fantastic. We ate breakfast in the restaurant nearly every day and except for one day, the service there was friendly and fast - the food was good all the time, though pricey as resorts tend to be. We also ordered drinks and food from the outdoor cafe, which was better than other Marriott resort pool dining we've had. The most memorable thing about our stay was the frequent visits from scarlet macaws (they call them Lapas). They are gorgeous and truly spectacular to see. The beach is brown sand, clean, a bit rocky and the waves are small. It is a nice place to walk but at one end it crosses a fresh water brook, so if you don't want to get wet you need to turn around there. If you do cross it, you end up off the resort property at a great spot to watch the sunset in an area of Jaco that has a bar and two restaurants (we ate excellent dinners at Pelicanos there). The marina is a 20-minute walk up the hill and it's interesting to see the boats and talk to the folks who go fishing (from what we learned, the marina boats are substantially more expensive than the boats that go out from Jaco). There are restaurants there but we only ate at the bakery, which was very good. Because my preference is a beach with a long stretch of white sand and big waves, I reluctantly give this resort 4 stars instead of 5. But we will almost certainly stay there again in the future and I recommend it without hesitation.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to a room with a balcony or patio, it's worth it. We used our patio a lot an...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

1,006 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

This resort is beautiful, the staff are nice and the location is great. I stayed here with a friend and had a great time. There is a marina within the resort area with restaurants and shops as well which was nice. It is also close to Jaco which is a cute surf town, especially during the day. Be warned that the resort is expensive (40 dollars for sunscreen?? Come on) which I did not expect but I was okay with it as the standard was high as well (okay... I am still bitter about the sunscreen). Only negative is that there is no concierge but instead a Swiss travel office. The recommends seemed canned as it was more of a sales business than a helpful resource... Pretty brutal for a Marriott and considering the cost but not enough to upset my days by the pool! Note that it is 1.5 hours from the airport but it is a lovely drive.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This hotel was simply gorgeous, very relaxing and serene. The pool area is very nice and large enough to explore. The hotel is family friendly. The hotel is right on the beach which is very secluded. There is a Marina that is less than 15 minutes away by foot with small boutique stores.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
San Jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I just came back from this hotel after spending the weekend with my husband and our 6 year old, and it was just great. Service is fast and courteous (genuinely) also they try to be always looking to make you feel happy, food was very good (I love seafood and it was super fresh) we love their breakfast buffet which always add more variety AND their kids club have just the right balance for kids to enjoy time on games and spend time with their parents. My daughter was so happy she didn't wanted to head home today (can't blame her, didn't us wanted to come back either) anyway, the experience was so good that I wanted to write today to have it all fresh

• Stayed February 2013
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and l visited Costa Rica for the first time and stayed at the Los Suenos. Marriott. We have visited many warm weather vacation spots and decided to try this location for our 30th wedding anniversary. This was the perfect place for a relaxing romantic week. Upon arriving I had to "work" the front desk a bit to get a room with a balcony view. The staff was very accomadating once they realized we were platinum Marriott members. The hotel , dining facilities, pool, spa and fitness center were excellent. The complex is a short walk from a beautiful marina with lots of shops and dining choices. We spent a couple nites visiting Jaco which is a 10 minute taxi ride from the hotel. Lots of restaurant s , clubs and bars if you are looking for nightlife. There are many fun activities such as ziplining, golf and world class sport fishing. A highlight of the trip was catching a mahimahi and having the restaraunt prepare it for dinner. I will say that during the weekdays it was very quiet and relaxing. The weekend was a bit busier with lots of families and kids running around. Also ths beach was not very nice but we didnt mind since the pool complex wrapping thru out the property and had a nice swim up bar. We would definitely return

• Stayed February 2013
Salem, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Trip Advisor is a stellar platform for people to express their pleasure (or displeasure in some cases) for hotels and restaurants. I use it as a resource ALL THE TIME! How anyone could possibly criticize the Los Suenos Marriott in Costa Rica is beyond me! What a beautiful property. My husband and I stayed there 5 years ago and, to be honest, I totally expected our second visit to be a bit of disappointment. We suspected that, perhaps, the resort would present itself as being 5 years older and shows some signs of wear and tear. Well, that was not the case. The resort is taken care of with extreme concern about presentation and guest experience. It is beyond lovely in a country filled with beauty.

We actually sat on our deck (multiple times) and saw flocks of scarlet macaws fly by! I do recommend requestling a deck and paying the extra nightly fee for that - it really does enhance the room. The breakfast buffet was outstanding - never had a better one to be honest.

Special thanks to Alexander (Reception), David (La Vista for breakfast) and Melvin (pool bar). What wonderful representatives for the Marriott specificially and Costa Rica in general. Each of these stellar individuals contributed to an amazing vacation for my husband and I. We cannot wait to return to Los Suenos!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Request a balcony or patio!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I am from Costa Rica and this is the second time I spent in this hotel. Let me tell you, it is absolutely beautiful! The pool is perfect because you can find shadow at all times. The food is good, although it could improve. The cleanliness of the rooms and the hotel in general is impeccable. The location is perfect and Los Sueños in general is a great place. The gym is very nice and clean. Also, you can safely take long walks outside the hotel and appreciate the beauty. Golf course is great. The only real problem I had was with service, especially at the pool bar, which has good food and good drinks, but lacks in service especially for local tourists. I noticed the difference when they attended international tourists and us. They should improve this. Overall it is a great hotel...

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!