“If I Could Give Tuapae Six Stars, I Would” 5 of 5 stars

You added Tuapae Cabins to your Saves list
Tuapae Cabins
Hotu-Matua Street, Hanga Roa, Easter Island, Chile   |
London, United Kingdom
“If I Could Give Tuapae Six Stars, I Would”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

Tuapae Cabins, run by Carlos and his lovely family, were quite simply fantastic. Carlos was an excellent host, making us feel at home instantly, and offering assistance whenever he could. In the end he probably helped organise most of our excursions on the island - which is normally something we'd do ourselves.

The cabins, situated next to his family home, were extremely clean and very comfortable. At the time he'd installed two of the cabins with air-con (I believe the other was in the process of being installed) and had plans on installing WI-FI. The bathroom had constant hot water and was cleaned everyday.

The open plan lounge/kitchen/dining area was equally well maintained. With an excellent kitchen area, fully stocked with equipment. Making it a lot easier to make the money-saving lunches and dinners (believe me you'll need it - Rapa Nui is NOT cheap). Whilst the lounge was supplemented with a huge LCD TV and DVD player, and a lovely outside sitting area where you'd meet Toro the dog and his super-friendly cat called... Cat.

Considering Rapa Nui is not a cheap island, and a simple dorm bed in the HI Hostel will cost you a third of what Carlos charges for a cabin, Tuapae Cabins is a gem of a place to stay. We've been travelling in South America for the past 6 months, and this place remains our absolute favourite from the whole trip. If I could give them 6 stars I would.

20 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

I have recently returned to the US after traveling to Chile and Easter Island since January 1, 2010. The absolute highlight of my journey was staying at the Cabins Tuapae. Cabins Tupae offers the wonderful opportunity to stay in a private cabin but in the courtyard of the home of Carlos Ika Barrios, Raquel Roe Tuki, their daughter and Elias Ika Barrios. They are exceptional hosts, offering tremendous knowledge of their island to share with guests and providing clean rooms with a central location. They also have a large newly built kitchen for guests to share for cooking. They are also the owners of a great restaurant called Aloha. I have never written a trip advisor report before even though I travel often, but felt that travelers would love to know of this wonderful place to stay.

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

I spent a lovely 5 days on Rapa Nui, and a large part of that was the very nice stay that I had a Tuapae Cabins. Very nice room, good shower, all very clean and tidy. Excellent shared living room (with great big tv and lots of dvds) and kitchen with all the necessary kit for storing and cooking your own meals (oven, toaster, fridge, freezer, hob, microwave, kettle etc.). When I stayed there I was the only one there for most of the time (low season) and so I had the whole massive kitchen / lounge to myself.
And the best part is that the owners Carlos and Raquel are such nice and friendly people. I was even invited to their family's celebratory bbq dinner after the Chilean elections. Carlos gave me a tour around the town when he picked me up from the airport, and I arranged a day's tour around the island with him too, which was very nice.
Oh - and they have a really good restaurant too on the main street of Hanga Roa.
All in all - a great place to stay!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

We stayed in these cabins in Jan 2010 and were warmly welcomed at the airport by the owner Carlos Ika with flowers, and farewelled with shell necklaces. The cabins (3 double rooms) are newly built and very comfortable - all with their own ensuite bathrooms. Facilities also include a spacious and well-equipped shared lounge/kitchen with large flat screen TV and comfortable chairs. Carlos runs the motel with his lovely wife Rahera and together they have created a relaxing, friendly place to stay - like being at home. Carlos will also assist with rental cars and tours of the island. We highly recommend staying here - prices are very reasonable too. We arrived tired after weeks of travel and left feeling revived and happy, having made new friends and had a relaxing holiday.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Tuapae Cabins? Share your experiences!