One and a half hours drive North of the international airport by car or taxi (125 USD single trip) and you arrive (after some 2 km dirt road and asking for directions) in the middle of the rainforest. After days of sunshine it was pouring down when we arrived. Already at arrival we were disappointed. Not only because everything was very humid and cold but also due to the lack of internet in the villa’s. You have to walk/hike quite a distance in the rain/darkness to the restaurant area to get online. We appreciate that the rooms have no TV but we are not sure if every one does. The 16 villa’s are gorgeous. Big balcony with wooden, leather chairs, wooden floors, extreme comfortable king size bed, lots of light due to the huge windows, good size fridge, tea/coffee facilities, two comfortable day beds (children could sleep here), separate toilet and shower and outside a two person Jacuzzi. The only disadvantage; is that it takes 2 hours (of power) to heat the tub. Staff is very friendly and willing to do their utmost to make you comfortable. Breakfast includes fresh juice, granola with yoghurt/fruit and a choice of eggs or another local dish. Dinner in the restaurant is ok but not very special or cosy. It was a very cold place (the gas heating is not sufficient to provide a comfortable setting in case of heavy rain). One night the food was good, the other night the pasta was much to salty. The staff did not reacted on our complaint. Why do we only give two ‘stars’? The reason is the price/quality. We paid nearly 400 euro for two nights (breakfast and 1 nice hike to the waterfalls included). Let us emphasise that El Silencio is not to blame for bad weather. They, however, should be able to provide guests with a comfortable feeling if the weather is not as good. In the villa (with two heaters on) we felt comfortable but there was no Internet connection. With two days of pouring/stormy rain it’s nice to spend a few hours ‘connected to the world’. This is however only possible in the main facility. There, again, it was ice cold and windy (due to open doors) Because of the wet weather the staff was not able to light the wood burning stoves. They even tried with electric heaters but also without success. There is also no gym so (again in such a bad weather) not else to do than sit in the apartment and read. We had so much looked forward to stay in El Silencio (we specially flew to Costa Rica for staying here) but were so disappointed. We were pleased that we could depart despite all the positive aspects of this place which are definitely also there…..!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Silencio Lodge & Spa is a unique luxury cloud forest hotel set in Costa Rica's pristine Bajos del Toro region. Flanked by two national parks, this all-Suite and Private Villa hotel combines upscale comforts with an intense natural immersion experience. Outstanding features include farm-to-table cuisine, a wellness spa, an adventure park, and authentic cultural experiences. Zip-lining, rappelling, horseback riding, waterfall hiking, oxcart painting, Tico cooking lessons, and more can be enjoyed by couples and families (Minimum age: 8). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Splendia, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your El Silencio Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Silencio Hotel Bajos Del Toro
- El Silencio Lodge & Spa Costa Rica/Bajos Del Toro