“Perfection Lies in the Details” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Green Dream
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Bajos del Toro
Dallas, Texas
“Perfection Lies in the Details”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here recently after spending a few days at the sister property, Hotel Punta Islita (I have also posted a review on that property).

The El Silencio Lodge was one of the top destinations where we have ever stayed among our many travels. We were warmly greeted by the manager, Andrey. Our bags were promptly taken to our room and we were quickly fed (since we had just made a long trip, the quick meal was greatly appreciated!). Afterwards, we were given a thorough tour of the property and all of the amenities available, including the personal phone numbers of some of the staff in case we ever had any issues.

The property itself is gorgeous. The rooms were clean and well maintained and beautifully decorated. There was ample space for storage and I absolutely loved the sitting deck with rocking chairs. I spent many a peaceful morning there just watching the hummingbirds. There was an electronic in-room safe and all doors/windows locked securely. Turn-down service was superb (twice daily) and always included warm bottles in the bed so it was cozy when we went to sleep (what a great touch!). There are about 6 miles of hiking trails, which includes three waterfalls (yep, you can get in one of them!). All the trails were clearly marked and well maintained.

The service was also outstanding! The restaurant wait staff was extremely attentive and was very conscientious of dietary needs. There were tons of food choices and everything was excellent--especially for foodies! We even got to help cook one of our own meals, which was very interesting. My only suggestion here was that everything was prix fixe and I would have preferred an a la carte menu to allow for more small tastings and no obligation of daily dessert. The spa staff was also very respectful and paid attention to all of the smallest details. I thought the spa prices were fairly reasonable also. Our eco-concierge, Vinicio, truly made our trip special! He was there for every need that we had, but was never pushy or overbearing. He organized quite a few special (and surprise) activities for us based on our personalities or random comments that we made.

There were also a lot of other small details that made this property truly special. They offer complementary sandal/shoe cleaning (which was done to the detail!), laundry service, laminated hiking maps (so they don't get wet or crunched in your backpack), fresh flowers in the room, complementary snacks restocked daily and they actually do clean the rooms (scrub the floor, toilets, etc).

We already can’t wait to return!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at El Silencio Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
It was a true pleasure to read your glowing review of El Silencio Lodge & Spa. Thank you for your thorough and thoughtful account of your experience with us. I extend heartfelt thanks for taking the time to detail our staff’s amazing hospitality and genuine warmth. They are truly an amazing team! Please do visit again very soon!

289 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Wilson, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was the most wonderful, peaceful 4 walls I have experienced in a long time....absolutely magnificent from the architecturally designed restaurant to the wonderfully minimalist intriguing guest cottages....everything was fantastic....just imagine hot chocolate delivered to your room on a cool rainy night, then an organic exquisitely prepared dinner including appetizer, entree and dessert and when you return to your cottage all completely sated with food and wine as you crawl into your high count sheets you feel the warmth of a toasty hot water bottle at your feet....I mean does it get any better than this???....and the spa and treatments are wonderful....now we go for the God given wonders of nature....a stream, waterfalls, rainforest, vegetation galore and the most kind and gracious staff EVER....everyone was so attentive and truly gracious with no "attitudes" whatsoever....I can't speak highly enough of this lodge and its surroundings....so glad Luxury Link led me and my friend to you.....thank you for a wonderful 3 days!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: rooms are separate lodgings so I don't think you can go wrong....the spa on the deck was very so...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at El Silencio Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Warm greetings from Costa Rica! Thank you for providing such colorful glimpses of the El Silencio Lodge experience. It was a delight to read your review and I certainly hope that the relaxation and enjoyment linger. Saludos and many happy returns!
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I spent two nights at El Silencio for our honeymoon and wish we had stayed longer! The staff is very professional and kind. It is a magical place with much to do and see. We highly recommend doing the horse back riding into town, horses are very tame and a great way to see and meet some locals. Food was very good and Martin our waiter was a pleasure to be around. We had Andre as our main guide and he also was a very informative and excellent person to be around. Besides the beauty of this local what really make this place so special is the warmth and attentiveness of the staff, they really love what they do and it shows.Can't wait to go back!!! PURA VIDA!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 7 very private and great view!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your honeymoon and thank you for selecting Costa Rica for such an important getaway. And a very special GRACIAS for giving us a chance to be your hosts. Thank you for taking the time to mention so many members of our team. They truly are remarkable! Their warm friendship is sincere and this certainly translates into an incredibly relaxing and enjoyable travel experience. I also want to thank you for taking the time to visit our neighbor community of Bajos del Toro. Our hotel model hopes to encourage travelers to go beyond our grounds to truly experience everyday life and immerse in local culture. We feel this is what creates the most meaningful travel moments. Many blessings!
SF
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We spent the first 4 nights of our honeymoon at El Silencio and we didn't want to leave. The hotel is absolutely incredible!

The Staff - so warm and welcoming. They anticipated our needs and we never wanted for anything during our time there. Martine in the restaurant was not only the perfect server but he gracefully taught us about the culture. We asked him what a cassava was since we thought it was so delicious, and he went in the back and brought one out for us to see. Then he quickly cooked another vegetable for us to try. We will never forget his kindness. Everyone at the hotel was fantastic - Natalie, who seemed to be there all the time, William, Venecio, the Spa therapists... a delightful team. One night they even set up a private table for us in front of the fireplace for dinner. We felt so taken care of.

Our Eco Concierge Ronald is a gem and his enthusiasm and energy was so refreshing. He was a great guide, we loved the hike to the 3 waterfalls. He set up all of our tours for us which were great. The chocolate tour at Tirimbina was our favorite - it starts with a hike through the rain forest and then you tastes roasted cocoa, chocolate drink and melted cocoa. The tour is really amazing! We also did the Sarchi cultural tour and coffee tour. Our driver Jimmy was so much fun. We visited a beautiful botanical garden where Jimmy told us all about the plants. Then we did the coffee tour, which was ok but we definitely liked the chocolate tour better. There was a "coffee tasting" at the end of the tour so we figured we would sit down and they would probably use a french press to make a light, medium and dark roast for us to try. But instead they took us into the gift shop and pumped a little coffee out of an air-pot into a dixie cup and that was the tasting. So a little anti climatic. After the coffee tour we went to the oxcart factory in Sarchi which was incredible! Sarchi is known for their furniture and we actually bought one of the rocking chairs like the ones on the decks at El Silencio. Then Jimmy drove us back up this crazy 4x4 road back to the hotel - overall it was a great day. The last activity we did was the rappel down Bajos del Toro Waterfall - incredible!!! Venecio was our driver and he was great.

Location - we loved Bajos del Toro. We thought it was the perfect beginning or end to a vacation in Costa Rica. The town is small, only 150 people or so with many of them working at the hotel. It took us about 2 hours from the SJO airport. We rented a car and were glad we did (DEFINITELY GET THE GPS if you rent a car, Costa Rica doesn't have street names so as we drove through the country, the GPS was definitely worth the price). We loved the location and it was our favorite place we stayed during our 12 nights in Costa Rica. The cloud forest is beautiful. The weather is cooler due to the elevation which was nice because the rest of our trip we were hot and sticky. Of course we went in green season so we expected rain, but mornings are beautifully sunny typically and afternoons are perfect for relaxing on the deck watching the rain, sipping the delicious hot chocolate, and enjoying the hot tub.

The facilities - perfect! the rooms are beautiful and private. The large deck with 2 rocking chairs looking out to the mountains... we spent a lot of time relaxing there. The private hot tubs... the hot water bottles placed in the bed at turn down... the complimentary hot chocolate in the afternoons enjoyed in our rocking chairs... the main lodge and restaurant... we were blown away!

We will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at El Silencio Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Your thorough and thoughtful review is much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience at El Silencio Lodge & Spa. I am delighted to learn that you fully enjoyed your stay and that Martin, William, Natalie, Jimmy, and the rest of the team were able to showcase their best hospitality details. Thanks for the feedback on the chocolate and coffee experience. Your suggestion about the coffee press is noted and I will gladly share it with the people who run the coffee hacienda.

Warmest regards!
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I recently had the great pleasure of staying at the gorgeous El Solencio Lodge for the first stop on our 2 week Costa Rocan honeymoon. This was the absolute perfect place to unwind, relax with nature and be truly pampered! The staff was so friendly and the grounds were breathtaking! The rooms are 5 star and come complete with your own private patio with hot tub and rocking chairs ( my personal favorite). The restaurant was delicious and served organic produce, chicken and fish, from their own personal farm, which you can also visit! The nature trails, hummingbird garden and on site waterfalls were beautiful and all so tranquil. We also loved watching the storms and clouds from he comfort of our deck in on the evening, very romantic. The spa is also fantastic, best massage of my life. We opted for the tandem in their privat room, well worth it!

El Silencio is a slice of heaven and we can not wait to return,!!I highly recommend staying here to escape it all. Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Wonderful to read your excellent review. Thank you so much for detailing your experience. I certainly hope that the relaxation and wellness feeling lingers for many weeks. Warmest regards! Maria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Everything at El Silencio was so nice – I would return in a second for all of it…and I would return if I only I could drink the water again. Amazing!!!! I crave that water!
My two adult daughters and I spent 4 nights at El Silencio. All of the staff was so friendly and helpful. We had so much fun horseback riding, loved the spa, did a hike on own and saw a wild peccary! The paths into the 500 acre private reserve lead to waterfalls that are spectacular. The grounds around the hotel are impeccably maintained complete with organic gardens and a humming bird bush-maze. It’s so special that all of this is part of the “hotel property.” Truly special. My daughters did painting with Ronoldo and were so enamored that we were off to Sarchi the next day. The restaurant staff made us feel right at home for every meal. The rooms were fabulous – and we absolutely loved turn down service with little treats delivered and the hot water bottles in the bed (for each one of us). We loved the in-room hot tub and our guest kitty too. Thank you everyone, and especially William, for caring so much for us during our stay. We loved every minute of it.

Room Tip: Looking around it looks like all rooms have great locations. You can see they designed rooms so tha...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at El Silencio Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for your amazing review! Thrilled to learn that you fully enjoyed so many adventure and relaxation experiences. I will gladly relay your comments about the ox-cart painting lesson with Ronald. It is a truly special experience and is quickly becoming a guest favorite, perfect for all ages! Just a quick note... There is a small cat population that sporadically roams the property. Although they are not feral cats, they are not pets in the traditional sense of the word either and we discourage our guests from approaching them, just to be on the safe side. The peccary sighting must have been quite fun! Thank you for sharing!
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My best friend and I went to Costa Rica to celebrate my law school graduation. My friend found a deal on jetsetter.com for El Silencio, and we were not really sure what to expect. We were BLOWN away! From the very first second when we arrived, the staff at El Silencio made themselves available to do whatever we needed to make our trip spectacular (including going into the small town to get my friend a toothbrush which she forgot!). The food was also amazing. Francisco took great care of us every night at dinner and even delivered the occasional bottle of wine to our room. Did I mention our room had a hot tub on the porch? The views were amazing. Also, Ronald was available 24/7 to schedule canopy tours, spa appointments, and even call the rental agency of the next town we were traveling to as to let them know we were on the way. I cannot compliment the customer service enough. Would definitely recommend this resort to anyone traveling to Costa Rica for any reason. It truly was the most relaxing place I have ever been to!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at El Silencio Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Katie,

Our heartfelt congratulations on your law school graduation! Thank you so much for finding us and for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community. Thrilled to learn that our staff had many opportunities to shower you and your friend with attentive details. They are amazing! Here's hoping that the relaxation lingers!

Been to El Silencio Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!