“Chinche / Bed Bugs for ever?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Monkey Hut

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lago de Apoyo
The Monkey Hut
You added The Monkey Hut to your Saves list
Lago de Apoyo, Masaya, Nicaragua   |
Bratislava
“Chinche / Bed Bugs for ever?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Lake Apoyo by itself is a strange place, law to allow private properties all around nice shore is sick, well, they love it this way, OK they have it.

There are some better places around the lake than Monkey Hut. At least looking better.

I can hardly trust manager even if he is doing his best, that he is knowing all what to do, especially with bed bugs what we did have that night in beds of dorm. OK, he did not hide this problem in the morning and he said he is spending a lots of money every month to clean beds, but all other places they know what to do in such case - burn all mats and pillows... Seems they do not understand it can not get red of it by chemicals. But I am not here to tell them what they should do, just to say, they will probably never stop this problem, so expect bed bugs here.

We went to this place also on purpose they offer free kayaks. Well I work with kayaks so I know what kayak should look like. The do not have any kayak, just 2 pieces of completly destroyed kayaks with broken everything, what broken could be, including seat and paddle, missing drying bunge replaced by piece of plastic bag... Hight tax or any trouble to import kayaks to Nicaragua can not excuse they promote something they actually do not have in shape suitable for any safe usage.

Also group of americans on a team building and brain washing meeting occupied all place so it was not a place to relax.

It is pity this place looks nice on first impression, after a day and night it may disapoint you.

Also I would blame to owners, they are probably from Belgium - once you invest money, do it with all what is related, this is just occupying nice lake shore with BUGS in your business. Shy.

I am really sorry to write this review, because manager is nice person, but it was the only place with bed bugs, I check it every night since then.

Room Tip: I can not suggest good room after a night with bed bugs.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

This hotel markets itself as a relaxing getaway however despite the spectualar surroundings the atmosphere of the place itself is very disappointing and there must be better options in the area.

The Monkey Hut has also clearly become a day trip for many middle class Managuan families, who monopolise the facilities (we were unable to use a kayak during our stay) and disrupt the purported tranquility. Although we were here as a couple I wouldn´t consider this place suitable for a group of backpackers either as it is overrun with young kids during the day and too quiet to be a sociable place to hang out in the evenings.

If you are going to stay here make sure you do so in a cabin - the 'private' rooms are next to the reception and the staff are extremely noisy both late at night and early (from 5am) in the morning and treat guests as an inconvenience. Strangely food is not served after 6pm.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Granada, Nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

The Monkey Hut rules! This really is the greatest spot I've seen so far on my trip through Central America! First visited the spot as a day visitor coming from The Bearded Monkey in Granada; next day I came back for three nights, ended up staying a whole week! They have friendly staff, free kayaks and internet, great pizzas, tranquil atmosphere, nice swimming! hundreds of hammocks and some nice lounge chairs near the crater's beach! The place gets a little crowded during the weekends (but that's cool since it offered me the opportunity to practice my Spanish with some nice Nicaraguan visitors that I met there!), but during the week it really is 100% relax! One recommendation to the staff: make some more publicity for the pizzas, they're great!!! I can only recommend this place and I will definitely go back! Hopefully next Spring break! One more recommendation: check out the moon rise at night! And early in the morning you can see some toucans in the palm tree near the main terrace!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
San Juan Del Sur
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

We went for a day since we were staying in Granda. We knew that it cost $6 to park and use the facilities... no biggie.

First off, the parking lot was full, so we had to park our truck at a 30% angle on the side of the road. Strike 1. Then we went down by the lake with our dog, and there were no seats or tubes to be had, but there was a ton of grass space. Come on, get some chairs! Strike 2. We finally managed to get a tube (all the kayaks were gone and not coming back, since ppl took them to the little wooden islands and stayed there for hours).
As we were leaving to pay the bill, I had a notion to walk out....but I didn't. Then they charged me $12, $6 each which was NEVER mentioned, and $3 for our dog! Screw them. I paid the $12 in disgust and will never come back here. LOTS of other better places to go in the area. Don't waste your time.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Isla de Ometepe, Nicaragua
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

I have been to Monkey Hut a few times during the last years and have to say that their atmosphere and friendliness has been much better years ago. The place turns out to be more expensive nearly every time i went there but nothing improved. On the weekends it gets to crowded and loud and I the fact that they wanted to make me pay for a bottle of water i brought in from the kiosk outside did not help to make it any better. It is still a nice setting they provide at Monkey Hut but the touristic infrastructure around Laguna de Apoyo has advanced in recent years and there are not the only ones there anymore.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Managua, Nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

Very laid-back atmosphere! Great for getting to know other people, the hostel offers kayaks free of charge, big black inner tubes to float around, delicious oven-made pizzas, wireless internet (though I forgot my computer), and a very nice garden with spectacular views. They have several BBQ pits, so reserve one night to have a BBQ with friends next to the lagoon! Beds were comfortable (stayed one night in dorm and two nights in private room), staff is friendly and prices are very accessible. Swimming in the Lagoon is amazing, so don't miss the experience! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Room B and the lake-side cabin are most isolated and therefore the best
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

This place is filled with beauty. It has been a haven on our way. The people, the services, the amenities, the community. Lake Apoyo is advanced in their conservation & Monkey Hut is also in their honour system & services for travelers. They're are wild Howler Monkeys roaming in the canopy!!! Too many butterflies & birds to count!! The mineral lake is gorgeous & warm!
WE LOVE IT HERE!!!

Room Tip: There is one cabana. Get it if you can swing it. And two private rooms & two dorm rooms. But...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Monkey Hut? Share your experiences!