“Never eaten eel? Try it, you'll like it!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
New York
“Never eaten eel? Try it, you'll like it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband and I had a delicious lunch today at Lillo Tatini, both of us trying different things and enjoying them all.

The first thing about the restaurant, however, is the colorful, tasteful decor and attention to detail. The tables, chair cushions, plates, flatware, dishware, glassware, napkins, napkin rings, table decorations go together so well, in such a unique way--it really was eye candy, and we could not help ourselves but to take photos of these things. The menus are handmade, with soft leather bindings, and handmade paper inside. The menu items are explained very well in both Italian and English. Our server was the owner's daughter, Bianca; a delightful and gentle person, who let us practice our Italian with her and helped us out in English when we needed it. Patrizia, the owner and chef, was a joy to meet--so kind and helpful with many questions we had, about the food and also about the village.

Today I tried the "piatto d'ingresso" called "La Vigilia", which is a chickpea base with a large portion of baccala accented with pieces of plums. It was really enough by itself for a delicious lunch. Then, I had the main dish of eel stuffed with raisins and pine nuts served on onions and bay leaves with sauteed spinach. This was my first time to eat eel, and I was curious to see if I would like it. I would order it again, it was excellent.

The list of desserts was quite long, and I was not planning to have anything, but my husband noticed that one of the desserts came with a scoop of gelato with peaches and oranges. We asked to have just the gelato without the main dessert that it normally accompanies. This was some of the best gelato I have ever eaten--with a vanilla base and chunks of peaches and oranges inside. It was very rich, very creamy, and very obviously an artisanal gelato.

Our wines were served by the glass--I had an Umbrian white wine and it was fine with my selected dishes.

The price is moderate to moderate-high--but I think the quality of the ingredients, and the care given to the preparation makes it worth the price. Therefore, I give it a high rating for value--I felt my "investment" was well worth the taste, the enjoyment, the atmosphere, the service, etc., that I received in return.

We will return to Lillo Tatini with friends and we recommend it highly to anyone who is planning on going to the southern Lake Trasimeno area.

• Visited December 2012

Irvine, CA
“Detour Worthy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We asked some locals about restaurant recommendations and were sent to this restaurant. It is run by a family (husband, wife & son). It was heartwarming to see their harmonious teamwork, pride and joy poured forth in their stylish decor, food preparation and service. The service was excellent but relaxed and unrushed in the Italian tradition. Food selections were unique, tasty and ample. The wine list was adequate and well balanced. It is set looking down on the village square and offers many winding quaint streets to walk off dinner. We will never forget this spot and it is worth the detour from the main road to visit!!

• Visited August 2012
Adelaide
“Excellent resturant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Fantastic food and beautiful table setting, glassware, china etc. I thought the owner who also served on the tables was bit bossy but a small price to pay for a great night.

Visited September 2012
Dorset
“Classic Umbrian hilltown setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Wonderful experience on a hot June night. The welcome could not have been more welcoming with a table overlooking the village square. Great traditional local food but imaginitive and beautilly presented. Great local bottle of wine made for one of our best evenings ever in Italy.

• Visited June 2012
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Without a doubt, one of the best meals we have ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Absolutely sensational local Umbrian food in a beautiful village setting, with exceptional service . . . it is not necessary to say any more, except perhaps that you simply MUST try the wild boar.

Visited September 2012