“Can't wait to go back” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cambourne
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Can't wait to go back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Had an absolutely wonderful spa break at the Cambridge Belfry last weekend (8 and 9 February) and am looking forward to going back.

The hotel was easy to get to with lots of parking spaces, we parked close to the entrance. Check in was swift and efficient, we were asked the reason for our visit which was for my birthday and after we had got to our room 2 glasses of sparkling wine were brought to us. A nice surprise and such a nice thing to do.

Our room was a standard room on the ground floor, lots of space and no noise disruption. There was adequate wardrobe space, a table / stand to put our suitcase on, large desk with chair and 2 comfy chairs and table. There was a nice area next to the wardrobe with a kettle, selection of teas, coffees and complimentary biscuits. All very nice and the hotel was happy to provide us with more teabags and milk when we asked for them.

The bathroom had a bath and shower which was a nice touch as well as complimentary body wash, shampoo and conditioner. The shower had different shower head settings and there was plenty of hot water. The seals on the shower doors had gaps at the top and bottom though which let water spray out onto the floor. And despite there being warnings about the heated towel rail it did not work! We did not report this to reception though.

The dined in the restaurant for 2 breakfasts, 2 dinners and a lunch and the food was delicious. There was a wide selection of food on the breakfast buffet, I enjoyed the cooked breakfast one day, which included scrambled and fried egg and a good quality sausage. There was also a good selection of fruit which was very nice, cereal and muffins. Even meals were very nice, we did not have to wait very long for food, it was presented well and was lovely. Lunch was also enjoyable although I was so full from breakfast I stuck to soup and some gateaux for dessert.

The swimming pool area was very busy on Saturday and initially I didn't think the pool was very big. But once we were in the pool we found that the pool was busy but then quiet as people came and went into the jacuzzi, etc, so we were able to do some swimming. The jacuzzi was also nice and the area felt clean. I didn't use the sauna and was briefly in the steam room.

The swimming area was quieter on Sunday and we managed to do more swimming. Had hoped to do more but the pool was closed at 5:15pm due to a problem. This was a shame and we were disappointed about this but it didn't spoil our day as we had managed to do some swimming.

We were lucky to have 2 treatments each - a 30 minute facial and 1 hour body massage. Both were very enjoyable and professionally carried out. The beautician was friendly and discussed the treatment before starting to ensure everything would be alright and what I wanted,etc. The treatment room was nice and clean, the bed comfortable and heated. Both treatments were very relaxing and passed so quickly - wish they would have lasted longer!

I found all staff I encountered to be helpful and friendly (Reception, Spa Reception, Beauticians and Restaurant staff). The hotel is clean and we liked the laid back environment. I would recommend this hotel for a stay / spa break and I definitely want to go back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear AbbeyW,
Many thanks for your kind review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your spa break with us. I have shared your review with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Belfry in the near future.
Mike Evans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

we were gifted a weekend stay as a wedding gift which included breakfast and dinner on 2 nights. the first night which we booked in advance we were told we could only have half 8 sitting which was fine by us but when we got to the restaurant it was half empty and never got any busier so we found it strange we couldn't have had a different time. But the food was lovely and service pleasant so we didn't think too much of it at that point.

When arriving we noticed there was a wedding being held and asked if they were occupying the bar area and was told that we would see guests about but that they had their own function room and bar so we would hardly notice them.. That was completely incorrect as after dinner when we wanted a quiet drink the whole bar and 2 lounge areas were completely occupied by the wedding party which made us feel awkward so we just ended up going back to our room. We understand having just had a wedding ourselves the importance of putting On a good wedding but neither the wedding or non wedding guests should be to the detriment of the other - if both are paying then thy should be able to make equal use of the hotel, there should be enough room for both and we simply felt like there wasn't.

Breakfast the next morning was very hectic, we had to set ourselves as no one came to the desk after waiting nearly ten minutes. The food was nice enough and there was a good selection so we left pleasantly full for a day out in Cambridge. On our return we asked to book a table at the resturant and was told only 6pm was available this was a bit early for us so we asked for a little bit later but was told it was 6 or nothing, so we asked about other eateries in the area and was told about a local pub. We went back to our room and decided to take the 6pm slot as the dinner had been paid for as part of our gift. So at 6pm we went down for dinner- completely empty resturant and waited nearly 15minutes to be taken to our table, at which point another couple arrived who were booked for half 6 and seeing the empty resturant went for a drink at the bar- we asked if we could do this but were told no as our booking was at 6. So we sat as the only people in the restaurant until a few tables came in at half 6 and to be honest right up until half 7 there were more staff than customers. Later in the evening the resturant was busier but it felt a bit embarrassing that we couldn't eat later when there was clearly the facility to do this and you were prepared you let us eat elsewhere for the sake of wanting to eat 45-60mins later when there was plenty of room. It seemed as though the tables weren't turned over so each table was assigned 1 sitting for the night and the sittings were staggered. This may have been understandable if you were short on staff but at one point we counted 7 staff members stood doing nothing and the same system was in place the night before!

Generally the hotel is very nice, clean, staff are friendly and the food that we had was a good standard. We also used the spa facilities which were okay but it was very busy so not relaxing enough but it was a Saturday so to be expected perhaps. We did enjoy the stay but jut felt let down by some of the bizarre processes and being shunted out because of the wedding on the first night.

Stayed January 2014
Dear Smalley 1409,
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to note your feedback regarding our restaurant bookings. We make every effort to get the correct balance, for each sitting, and ensure we give every guest a smooth dinning experience. On the Saturday in question we did need to turn table's, however I have discussed this with Restaurant manager and we will review the process. Thank you for letting us know about this. We hope this did not put your off coming back to us. Kind regards, Mike Evans
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Came here for valentines. Expected nothing special. Until we saw the lobby, it just then struck me that I needed to come back and we have only seen this part of this amazing hotel. We then had to walk over to the swimming pool due to we got here to early. As our family likes swimming. But you don't have to just do swimming there is a whole range of facility's u can use at this time. Then traveled over to our room as it was waiting for us, then walking through that door and to our delight we found 1 amazing bathroom, 2 rooms with 2 TV's 3 beds all counted for between both bedrooms. In the bathroom we had a bath with jets, 2 sinks, 1 toilet and 1 shower.

Overall count: 5 star.

Loved it, hope u do!

Stayed February 2014
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Dear GeorgeBarlow123,
Thank you very much for you kind review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your valentines break with us. I have shared your kind words with the team, and we hope you return shortly to The Cambridge Belfry!
Kind Regards
Norfolk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

We stayed sat & sun nights, eat in both evenings. Sat busy in restaurant good service and food. Sunday restaurant not busy, service dire, 2 hours 45 mins to serve 2 courses! One of the courses was inedible and had to be sent back(rich pudding rice was undercooked and hard as bullets.) Nobody in charge of service, menus not delivered, no checking just left to pass time and what a long time. Appeared to be a bunch of young people serving with no guidance or system. We have stayed at many Q hotels and this is the first time we have had a poor experience, but boy was it poor, when they underachieved to such an extent they did it in style. Furthermore this is a 4 star hotel, and a superior room, yet no air conditioning, no fridge and no personal safe, so all your valuables left on display. I suppose you could get them locked in the main safe but in all honesty how many of you could be bothered? Remember this is a 4 star hotel! All in all this hotel is not really built and equipped to a 4 star standard despite looking impressive from outside. Sadly because poor of the level of equipment in the rooms and the poor service and food in the restaurant on the Sunday I cannot recommend this hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Stopbar,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear you were underwhelmed by your dinner on Sunday night. This is certainly not the standards we strive to deliver, as you would have experienced on the Saturday night, and my apologies for this. We since been in contact with you to apologise for this. Rest assured we will continue to try to get better at everything we do so that all of our guests go away happy and hopefully come back to visit us again.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed at Belfy this weekend on a special spa overnight package, it was really good value, the check in staff were effecient and helpful, the room large enough for 3, the guy from housekeeping changed the 3rd bed on entering the room as we were 3 adults, really comfy. The evening meal was excellent, great waitress, good choice of food and the allowence in the offer was generous and more that adequate to cover our food. The breakfast was second to none, freshly cooked, great choice and replaced really quick with more. Probobly one of the best breakfast i have had in a hotel in a long time. We all enjoyed our spa treatments nice friendly therapist and the treatments were lovely and relaxing. Definately recommend to everyone.
One critisim, 3 small costa coffees £10.95 !!!! total rip off, if they have to pay to have costa there, replace with own machine and you would sell more !!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
GM_Cambridge_Belfry, General Manager at The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Yas99,
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your spa stay with us. I have passed on your kind words to the team, specially the Chef regarding the quality of our breakfast. Thank you for comment regarding the costa, I will monitor this. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Belfry in the near future.
Kind Regards,
Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Our last stay at the Belfry (in 2011) was somewhat disappointing, due to the lengthy waiting for food orders in the restaurant, which was a shame, as we had stayed here a few times previously and been very happy with everything. However, having just returned from a weekend stay, we are pleased to report that everything is back on form and we couldn't have had better service and the team were so friendly and helpful. Excellent stuff!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Liz M,
Thank you for your kind review, and pleased to have you back! I am very happy you enjoyed your return stay with us, and specially for the comments regarding dinner. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I selected this hotel as it was convenient for me for a 2 night business stay. I have really mixed feelings and therefore this review will be reasonably long as I try to sum up exactly why it made me feel this way.

On arrival the Reception area was manned by only one member of staff which probably would not have been a problem however a large group arrived just before me and therefore I waited some 20 mins to get seen (having driven for some time after a morning of meetings I was keen to get to my room). That said the gentleman was both efficient and friendly and managed to reduce the huge queue very quickly.

As the hotel was so busy my office had to upgrade my room to a Superior Double. Unfortunately the description does not match the room that greeted me. The carpet was stained and the dressing gowns threadbare (literally!). The TV although flat screen was quite small for the size of the room which was spacious. The bathroom was fine but if I am really looking at detail there was no shower cap...unusual in modern hotels.

I ordered room service and had a chicken foccacia sandwich and a fruit salad. I was told this would be 45 mns (it was quicker). No cutlery was delivered for my fruit salad. So I would say it was passable.

The bed itself was comfortable.

I left my breakfast card out for the following morning as I needed to leave just after 7am for some meetings. I also asked for an alarm call at 6am. The alarm call was early at 5.45 am however breakfast did not arrive. Whe i checked the breakfast card had not been collected. As soon as I rang reception this was rectified within 15 mins or so. I had ordered grapefruit which was not available but this had been substituted with grapefruit juice.

On leaving the hotel that morning I stopped at reception to ask for an external telephone number for the spa as I wanted to book a massage. I had been emailed the day before by the hotel asking if I wanted to book any treatments and had responded yes but had not got a reply. The lady on reception gave me the extension number but I explained that I needed an external number as I was leaving the hotel for the day. I asked when the spa was open and she said it was then and suggested I book direct with the spa desk. I went to the spa but the desk was unmanned as they were carrying out work in the plant room. At this point I was starting to feel rather fed up with the whole experience to be honest!

However never one to give up I called the spa later that morning and got an appointment for the afternoon. Later that morning I had a response to my earlier email suggesting a tme for my treatment...it all seems either rushed or confused at this Hotel. That said the therapist was great and the massage was relaxing and certainly worth the money.

I had lunch with 3 colleagues in the bar of the Hotel and the staff were really friendly. The food (we all ordered sandwiches) was good and well presented. The bar was very busy throughout lunchtime and ealry afternoon as this is obviously a meeting venue but we still managed to hold a meeting in a quiet corner.

On returning to my room I found that the biscuits had not been replenished (this helps my diet) but I do like to treat myself when away from home! Still no shower cap.

I ordered room service again and had a cheeseburger. This was fine but the hotel had apparently run out of mayo?? They did apologise for this. To me, however these are the basics.

I again put out my breakfast card, however I forgot to place a time on it. I also set another alarm call with reception for 7 am. The call came at 6.45 am (I am not sure why the calls are apparently always 15 mins in advance). I found a note from Stuart the night porter had been placed under my door apologising for the previous day and also asking what time I would like my breakfast served. I really appreciated this personal touch and that is one of the reasons why I have such mixed feelings - the staff are great the basics of the hotel just don't quite hit the mark.

I had a breakfast omelette (I had asked for no mushrooms but it had been made with them).

On checking out I found that I had been charged different rates for each night plus addiitonal £10 charges. The receptionist who checked me out was not as friendly as the gentleman who had checked me in and to be honest at this point I was starting to lose patience. When I asked why there were different rates I was told the price changes daily?!! I questioned this as a rate is a rate once booked! After discussion all the additional charges were removed.

I will probably stay again for pure convenienve factor and hope to be able to post a more positive review in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear HollyBramble1,
Many thanks for your review and your kind words. Firstly apologies for the delay at check in, we had an issue with one of our computers, which I am pleased to say has been fixed. I have been able to trace your booking and will get the carpet cleaned immediately. We dont unfortunately supply shower caps as standard, however we do have some behind reception, and I have put a trace on your profile to ensure we put this in your room from now on. With regards to your food experience I have discussed this with the team, and the Head chef, and he echo's my apology. The rate does very from day to day, but agree that this should be agreed at booking, and I am looking further into this. I am very pleased to note you will be returning to us, and as I was the friendly gentleman who checked you in, please do contact myself direct so that I may personally make your reservation. My email is cmarais@qhotels.co.uk, or alternatively you can contact the hotel direct.
Kind regards
Chris Marais

Been to The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel? Share your experiences!