“Bit of a disappointment” 3 of 5 stars

The New Inn
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   Market Square, Lechlade GL7 3AB, England   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Lechlade B&B and Inns
Coventry
“Bit of a disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Really looked forward to staying here as we have passed it so many times. Room was up stairs in an annexe. Stairs creaky and rickety. Washing and cleaning stuff at the bottom of stairs. Room was OK. Bed was clean.

Rest was in need of modernisation, decoration and cleaning. Still had coffee stains on chest of drawers from previous visitors. Shower tray had not been cleaned. Knobs came off some of the drawers.

Bed was very comfortable and had a very good nights sleep.

Breakfast was a bit of a free for all. Not explained at all. No tables free when we arrived (and others) Not enough room to accommodate the rooms they have. Self service tea and coffee. Breakfast itself was OK. It was full english or nothing - no alternatives offered. Cereal and juice available if you were told it was there. Weirdest toast ever (like damp toasted bread).

Having said that I would highly recommend the food in the restaurant. Was quickly delivered, hot and extremely tasty. Pub was busy afternoon and evening. Lovely out the back as you look down towards the river.

Wouldn't stay here again but would use the restaurant if we were ever in Lechlade again.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Zomergem, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We booked two ensuite rooms. One was much larger than the other, but both did not smell fresh.
Rooms were clean and bed was OK but the room might need a freshing up. The latter was certainly true for the bathroom. Although our room was at the streetside it was not noisy. And when we had the window open for a few hours, the unsavory odour was gone when we returnbed after dinner.
As we drove a lot that day, we ate at the restaurant and had a decent meal for a fair price.
Although the hotel is not at the top of its category, it is not the worst place to stay but we might next time look for another sleeping spot.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Easy to find in the Market Square in Lechlade, The New Inn is one of a number of former coaching inns in the town. Nick, the proprietor, welcomed us and was genuinely interested in our progress on the Thames Path walk.

Having booked a double ensuite, we were given a room in what I believe had once been rooms over the stables. It had been reasonably well transformed, a small ensuite shower room (with rather oddly positioned loo) fitted in the corner using a velux window for light. Loads of power points for recharging phones and using computers, plenty of drawers, and space for our suitcases. In addition to the one in the ensuite there was also a velux in the room itself, which meant that it wasn't possible to make it dark when it was light outside, and the single glazed window was dressed with a vertical blind rather than a curtain. The TV was a seemingly old fashioned CRT type, as opposed to flat screen, and used a digibox - we were used to such technology, having a similar set-up ourselves at home, but it might be tricky for some and we didn't find any instructions.

A hairdryer had to be requested at reception and the range of bathroom accessories was limited to a couple of individual bars of Lux soap - no shampoo or conditioner, but Londis over the road are open from 7am to 10pm so we got some there. The lighting in the room was either on or off - no dimmers, no option to have just one light on.

We visited in mid-April: the weather was cool and breezy but the heating was not working. Nick happily found us a fan heater when requested which kept our room and us warm.

We had supper in the bar at the New Inn, even though there are a number of other pubs, bars and restaurants close by. Barnsley Chop (a special on the menu) and Scampi and Chips, with two drinks and a coffee each for £34 was very reasonable, and the meals were delicious.

Breakfast was basic - we weren't really asked what we would like, just whether we would like cooked or not. There was no yoghurt or croissants on offer - the only option if not having cooked would be toast. It met our needs but was perhaps more aimed at the workers wanting to get on with their day than leisure travellers such as us.

The biggest problem we faced was that our room was accessed from a door off the courtyard, and on two separate occasions in our one night visit we were almost hit by cars coming through. The faded 'DEAD SLOW' warning on the wall is clearly not having the necessary effect. On one occasion the driver was another guest at the hotel who had forgotten something in his room, but the management had clearly not made it clear that users of the car park should take great care. Effective signage and speed humps could be fitted for a modest cost, and the proprietor is surely putting himself at risk by failing to put proper measures in place to avoid accidents. I would be very reluctant to stay at this hotel again because of this apparent danger - the other problems we encountered, or similar, occur at many similarly priced establishments but I have never encountered as dangerous a route to and from my room as at the New Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a safe access route!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

the check in was very vague. i was pointed to the door across the roadway and told its up there. The Public areas were discussing out side my room and seemed like a DIYers half finished project. The room its self was very basic with brick a brac furniture (cheap argos style) that was falling to bits. the plaster on the walls was cracked and patched badly. the skylights were a brill alarm clock at 3am as the sun raise came over.... as there was no blinds and the final straw was no heating........ when i did complain about the heating i was told the maintenance engineer was not on site so couldnt be fixed..... this along with a floor level drafty window made my nights sleep horrid!! ive never stayed in a place like this in my working life...... work away a lot. its such a pity because from the outside it looks wonderful....... oh and one final point to the faulty towers owners get rid of the horrid Chinese menu style numbers of your blackboards i dont want to say i want a number 34 with a 21.... its just tacky. if your chef does not know what it is on the menu and you need a numbered code, its time to look at the menu and your chef

Room Tip: stay in another hotel or B&B
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I had booked this hotel before checking the reviews and I have to say I was very apprehensive before I arrived!
Booked a one night stay with my partner as I wanted an inexpensive night in the Cotswolds as I had planned to visit the Wildlife Park the next day. We arrived around 8pm and had a quick check-in. Our room (room 2) which is above the gate was eventually found through a series of doors and mirrors and our room was lovely and quaint with an en-suite bathroom and double bed. Clean (few stains on the carpet) with tea/coffee facilities. We also had a drink downstairs in the bar later in the evening. The staff were pleasant and friendly and breakfast was nice.

The location is perfect. Lechlade is a beautiful little village (we got lost for about an hour in an antiques shop over the road) I felt I had to write this review because of past reviews! The room decoration could do with an update but having stayed in lots of soulless chain hotels this was a nice change and added a bit of character.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed two days ago at the place as singlle. I am doing the Thames Path and it is a budget trip. I rang the hotel just in the morning and they accepted bookingI for a night (some b&bs may refuse the same day booking). The location is at the centre of the towns market place and no one would mistake. Some reviews say the Inn is understaffed but if you are there around the time of usual check-in and breakfast, it is no problem in my view. The bacon I had for breakfast was lovely and I felt satisfied for the price I paid for a night stay. Before the check-out, the Inn keeper gave me advice on the following night stay and I saved some pennies. One point I felt a bit inconvenient is I could not use wifi in my room since it was out of range but the staff would be happy to allow you to use the bar or restaurant area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

When we arrived there was no one at the desk to check us in. The phone said to call 200 for service, which rang to the phone at the desk in front of us. We waved to the bartender and one of the bar patrons got up from his bar stool to give us a our room key. He joked about us keeping him from getting too drunk. My husband and I wondered if we'd stepped into an episode of Fawlty Towers! I had asked for a double en suite which turned out to be two twins (I will say they did charge us less for our room because of the mistake).

The room was clean enough, but breakfast was inedible. Hot lamp food with one waitress running around trying to serve everyone and piles of dirty dishes piling up all around us. Just disgusting. I wouldn't stay here unless there is absolutely no where else to stay in Lechlade.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The New Inn? Share your experiences!