“Jesus H. Christ, what a place!” 5 of 5 stars

Barnsley House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Barnsley GL7 5EE, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barnsley
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Jesus H. Christ, what a place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Barnsley House for one night (sadly) as the first stop on our honeymoon. We simply couldn't have been happier.

The hotel staff were all incredibly friendly, helpful, professional and efficient (special thanks to Clare Perrin, who was the person we dealt with when planning the details of our stay - she's amazing), the food was delicious and worthy of a multitude of awards, the room was stylish, chic and comfortable (while maintaining the high standards of cleanliness that you come to expect with high-end hotels), and the facilities were amazing.

To break it down, I'll start with the room. We had room 19 (stableyard room), which has a mezzanine floor which houses the living room area (standard stuff... sofa, TV, jacuzzi... "What's that?! Jacuzzi?!" YES, A FLIPPING JACUZZI! I watched football from the flipping jacuzzi. It was amazing (not so much for the wife, but she's accustomed to making sacrifices, hence why she agreed to marry me)). If that wasn't enough, the shower room has a separate function - it's only a steam room too! Yep, not advertised in the brochure, but there you go. The room that keeps on giving.

We both had a spa treatment. I won't bang on about the different things in the spa as you've probably seen the details on the website, so I'll just say this: best massage I've ever had. Magic hands throughout the establishment.

Before we sat down to eat our incredibly intimate, romantic and tasty dinner we fancied a bit of entertainment, as you do. What did we do? Watched Predator in the hotel's own cinema (which, since you're asking, has pink sofas). Yep. We had it to ourselves. It cost us nothing because we were staying in the hotel. It was amazing. I quoted Arnie A LOT which the missus loved (probably), and it's one of the finest things a man can do. When I requested Predator the hotel didn't have it, so Clare just bought it. Amaze.

Just book it. Book it now.

Room Tip: Room 19. Unless we want it that weekend, obviously.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
barnsley_house, General Manager at Barnsley House, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
I am delighted that our staff went out of their way to make your stay a memorable one. It gives us great pleasure and we look forward to welcoming you back

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
warrington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Our room in the gardens was fine with an excellent bed, bathroom and good facilities. The public rooms like Calcot Manor are excellent and a delight to sit in. We also appreciated the outdoor "Jacuzzi" in the Spa. Our breakfast and service was good and with a sunny morning enjoyed it at an outside table. The staff may be young etc but seemed unfailingly polite ,efficient and accessible. Our room was also next to the barn and certainly the cows made themselves noticeable - but this is a farming community.
The hotel is expensive and benchmarked against some others may appear to be poor value for money. However the house maintenance and garden upkeep must be seriously costly and I justified the cost by feeling the conservation of the estate required it.
Rural communities are enlivened by having a viable pub and so I wished to support it. However there are far too many tables and the one we ate at was poorly situated by a door and adjacent to a service space. Also there was a bar across the table legs which meant it was like sitting in the back seat of a car with no room for ones legs. Most uncomfortable. Also we simply did not believe that for example the waffles etc were "home made". I was also disappointed that only two beers were available. After all it is meant to be a pub and not just a restaurant! My advice is to eat in the hotel although I appreciate other Trip Advisor reviews feel otherwise. Ones view may depend on getting a reasonably situated table in the pub.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time and give us some feedback. We endeavour to better our offer and services and our guests' comments are always appreciated.
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We booked this hotel as a special weekend away for our first wedding anniversary and it really did feel like a treat from start to finish! We found the hotel to be simply beautiful and the room very comfortable. We really appreciated that the hotel let us bring our little dog with us too and enjoyed staying in the stable yard room. Our favourite part of the hotel was the spa, the outside hydrotherapy pool was amazing, so warm and enjoyable! We also had wonderful massages there. The food that we tasted was also very good. My only down point is just how expensive it is to stay there! Our bill was nearly £1k for 2 nights and we have stayed at similar places for cheaper than this. But it is an extremely special place in a beautiful setting. Our room also at closer inspection did seem a little rough around the edges which just made me think when you spend this much everything really should be above expectations. Aside from that we had a really memorable and lovely weekend away.

Room Tip: They allow dogs in the stable rooms!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind feedback which is much appreciated it and rest assured we will follow up on your comments about the room.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Beautiful place in stunning gardens and nice village. We had a suite which was very nicely decorated in charming private gardens. But service is very chaotic and staff lacks experience. Breakfast organisation was particularly poor. By 9.45am on Saturday there were no pastries left and we were told it would take 25 mins to cook new ones. We said no. Cutlery and glasses were missing. We had to ask to add fruit salad on the buffet. There were other examples throughout the week end. It took an afternoon and five calls to locate a coat that I had left at reception. At the price charged it was not acceptable. Two thirds of the staff seem to have just finished A levels and arrived yesterday.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
barnsley_house, General Manager at Barnsley House, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback and I am sorry that on this occasion we didn't deliver the level of service you would rightly expect from us. Should you decide to visit us again, please don't hesitate to contact me personally, I am very confident that your next experience will be a memorable one.
Michele Mella
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

While the gardens are undoubtedly beautiful, we were ultimately disappointed by Barnsley House, mostly because we felt it horrifically overpriced.

1) Our room (although large) was stuffy as there were only two, small windows... and we wouldn't have opened them anyways as the room was right next to a barn where you could smell cows and hear their constant moo-ing. The stable rooms are also right next to the car park, which doesn't make for the nicest entrance... at £440 someodd pounds a night I expect better.

2) This may sound nitpicky, but he shower was disappointing- having been to Babington House I expected something similar but the pressure was low, the shower head small and it smelled of mildew.

3) The service was rather underwhelming I'm afraid- slow lunch service, slow bartending service, overcooked eggs at breakfast and limp, room temperature bacon which should have been piping hot and crispy.

4) The treatments I had at the Spa were lovely, and one of the best massages I've had in my life- so my compliments to the therapist.

5) The gardens are beautiful, but not enough to make me want to go back.

Rather disappointing.

Room Tip: Unless you LOVE COWS do not get a room in the stable area (we were in 17 I believe).
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
barnsley_house, General Manager at Barnsley House, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
I am very sorry that on this occasion we failed to deliver the level of service and experience you deserve. Please can you provide me with your email address so that I can contact you personally. I would love the opportunity to make amend and hopefully restore your faith in us.
Regards
Michele Mella
Dover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Called in for afternoon tea during a recent visit to the Cheltenham area, before heading back to Kent. Barnsley House is a beautiful and imposing hotel set in fabulous landscaped gardens. It was raining hard so we took our afternoon tea in one of the small, cosy lounges, and watched the flames flickering on the log fire. The staff were warm and friendly and our afternoon tea was devine. Freshly made sandwiches, a selection of home made cakes and the crowning glory.... homemade scones with local jam and clotted cream. Mmmmmmmm. Would definitely recommend. Well worth a visit

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
We are delighted that you ejnoyed your visit to Barnsley House for afternoo tea. We hope to have the pleasure of your company again in future and greatful that you would reccomend us
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

A beautiful country home in an adorable village in the Cotswolds. We stayed in a junior suite which was a short walk from the main house. In the main house is the bar, lounge area and the main restaurant. The spa is a 1 min walk across the gardens.

This hotel is stunning - but it is also very expensive! Personally think it would have been better value for money to stay at the pub down the road - it's connected with the hotel and has lovely rooms, and as you have to go outside to get to the restaurant & spa anyway, it wouldn't make much difference!

Our meal at the pub was much better than our meal at the hotel restaurant - probably bad luck, but there was gravel in the bread and the staff charged us for 2 bottles of wine rather than 1 by accident. When we told the waiting staff they didn't react very well, but when we told management on check out they took the first bottle of wine off the bill which we appreciated. The spa is lovely - small outdoor plunge pool (bit on the chilly side), large lounge area, sauna and steam room. Lovely views. A jacuzzi/hot tub would make it perfect! Room service breakfast was fantastic.

This review sounds more negative than I intend it to be... this is an incredible place and we had a great weekend, but for the price I would have liked perfection!!

Room Tip: Our junior suite was outside the main house so if you want to be in that double check with the hotel...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
barnsley_house, General Manager at Barnsley House, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for your feedback which we will share with our Team. We always strive to improve our offering and we are grateful of your contribution. We hope to have the pleasure of your company again

Been to Barnsley House? Share your experiences!