“Avoid like the plague. Extremely dirty overpriced filth, ruined milestone birthday, paid $30 for using bar of soap” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Tree Houses of Montville

You added Tree Houses of Montville to your Saves list
Tree Houses of Montville
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Lot 5 Kondalilla Falls Rd., Montville, Queensland 4560, Australia   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Montville
brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

(Travelled in mid 2012) Was meant for a special milestone birthday. Bought from spreets saying it was worth $900, looked at website saying the 3 days was only worth $600. Rang reception and asked about that price, reception stated that people would be upgraded for free to the luxury treehouse because lots of people bought the voucher. Was told that we would be upgraded to the luxury treehouse. Got there to be told we had the standard treehouse. On first arrival of the treehouse we see such a filthy place. Floors are just filth; off-coloured black/brown (Im guessing its to hide that its dirty). Spiders & cobwebs on the ceiling and windows. Spa was in a cramped space.

Asked for a refund; told we had to contact spreets. After a week of waiting for a reply spreets told us we had to contact the hotel to pay them $30 for opening a bar of soap, using a handtowel, and undoing the top of the bedspread... (that bar of soap looked to be worth 5 cents)

At such a short notice, I wasnt able to make plans for my milestone birthday that will only ever happen once in a lifetime. Went home and spent my special birthday at home with my partner with nothing planned. In short, I spent $30 to end up with a ruined birthday with no backup plan.
Didnt think I would need one...

Extremely dissapointed...

Room Tip: Only one tip to give, Avoid this place like the plague!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Treehouses, Owner at Tree Houses of Montville, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Good Morning Mah0u. Thank you for your feedback. It greatly saddens us that you felt that your milestone birthday was ruined. We wouldn't wish that upon anybody. I would like to please if I may clarify a few points that you have made.

You mentioned that you were told that "people would be upgraded for free to a luxury Tree House as lots of people had bought the voucher". I'm afraid that this was definitely not the case as we didn't quite fill our quota of Spreets vouchers that we had allocated. One of our staff members did offer, when you asked about this on check in, to possibly look at placing you in a Luxury the 2nd night with a charge as we had no availability on your first evening.

The brown/black floor colouring is slate and as such is the natural colour of this stone. I can readily assure you that all floors are vaccumed and mopped after every guest leaves us.

I'm sorry that you had to wait a week for a reply from Spreets. I have a copy of correspondence that I sent through to Spreets regarding your stay the day after you left requesting that they take care of your concerns and that we'd be happy for them to offer you a refund. The reason for the $30 charge was that we were unable to utilise the cabin after you left as the bed, bathroom had been used and we needed to call in a housekeeper to rectify this.

Clearly the Spreets voucher did not meet your expectations and we understand that the bush setting does not suit everybody. We wish you well in the future. Have a great day! Danielle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I decided to take my family on a weekend out of town and this seemed like a very interesting option. I booked one of the Tree Houses for the 4 of us, at a cost of AUD600 for two nights.

The drive to Montville is very pleasant with a nice change of scenery once you are off the highway. Montville itself is just one main road with souvenir shops that sell the usual things, and coffee shops/restaurants. Pretty, quiet, good for a couple of hours. The rainforest walk is a good one to do with the kids, go down to the falls and the rockpools, spot a goanna, climb a tree, etc.

The Tree Houses are well placed for access to the national park and the falls. Staff is very friendly. We got the key to our tree house and the kids were very excited. We had two rooms, a dining room with a kitchenette off the side. The kitchen is not equipped for cooking a proper meal since there is only a small electric stove and a couple of pots. OK, we're on holiday and not supposed to be cooking....

My wife was happy with the house until I told her the price. I hadn't thought about it, however this is pretty basic accommodation for the price we normally pay in luxury resorts elsewhere on our travels. I understand Australia is much more expensive especially with the AUD so high, however you are not getting much bang for your buck. We are also comparing against our recent Tuscan holiday where we paid a third of the price for an apartment twice the size in a Tuscan villa...

We had a good time overall, ended up heading down to the beach once we'd quickly exhausted the rain forest excursion and the quick tour of Montville. We liked coming back to the cabin to light the fire and play table games or watch DVD's with the kids.

Like I said, there's no complaints, this is a good getaway. In my view it's just a little pricey for what you get.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Treehouses, Owner at Tree Houses of Montville, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Hi Geophilhk
Thankyou for your review
I am pleased you had a relaxing getaway and had cool enough weather for our fireplaces.
I hope the children were able to pat some possums during their stay.
If we are fortunate enough to have you visit us again please check the specials, either online or in the Sunday Mail.
Kind regards
Vikki
Hervey Bay, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We love staying at the Tree Houses of montville. We recently had a weekend away to celebrate our first year wedding anniversary there, which is also the place where my husband and i got married. Such a beautiful and magical place. Plus the staff are so wonderful and accommodating which is one of main reasons we love Tree houses. My family love the outdoors and nature so the cabins and the setting suits our tastes. We will be back for our 2nd anniversary.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Treehouses, Owner at Tree Houses of Montville, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thanks Tannap for taking the time to tell others about your experience here at Tree Houses!! We were very glad to see you again and it was nice to hear that you enjoyed your first anniversary with us. We really appreciate you mentioning our staff. We are a small family run business so comments such as yours mean everything to us!! Thank you again and we very much look forward to welcoming you once again for your second anniversary! Have a great day! Danielle
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Third time staying here and I keep coming back. Lovely in winter when it's freezing outside and you have a real fire inside, you need to keep that fire going as there is very little insulation being a wooden cottage.There is a basic kitchen but you're probably going to eat out on a romantic break. Unfortunately the restaurant was closed but reception provided a list of places to eat nearby.

Take some bread to feed the wild turkeys who will come pecking at your door in the morning.

Only complaint was the colour of the tap water, a very noticeable brownish green. The receptionist explained that borehole water is used and is filtered but they are unable to get the colour out as it is from leaves. There is a separate tap from a cartridge filter system in the cottages which supplies quality drinking water of normal clarity.

Try the local fudge shop and the nearby Maleny cheese makers.

I look forward to spending longer here next year.

Room Tip: Cottages with a creek view are very relaxing
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you brisman333 for your review. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your annual romantic break once again! We appreciate your comment on the water. It can look a little disconcerting at times however the cartridge filter system allows you to get lovely, clear, fresh drinking water. I'm very glad to hear that you got to taste our local foods at the fudge shop and cheese factory. They are definitely worth a visit! We hope you had a safe trip back to Singapore and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Kind regards, Danielle
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Excellent service. Loved the rainforest. Would be nice to have the treehouses renovated as a bit outdated such as tv, jug etc. Bed bit hard to sleep on. Loved the fire thanks for it up. Needs a bit of an upgrade to be a 4 star though

• Stayed August 2012
Treehouses, Owner at Tree Houses of Montville, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Thank you Dorean 24 for your feedback. It's always important to us to hear your thoughts. We are very pleased to hear that you embraced our lovely nature and rainforest and that you loved the wood fire. We are especially pleased to hear that you thought our service was excellent.

Your comments on the cabin being a little outdated are appreciated and we will diligently move forward to improve those matters.

Kind regards,
Danielle
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I cant thank Danielle enough for her warm welcoming greeting, you are a lovely lady who made our arrival perfect.
The luxury rustic cabin #14 is lovely.
On arrival they had the fire burning and a bottle of bubbly in the fridge. Perfect.
The cabin is very rustic but that is exactly what we where expecting after looking at the website. I was a bit worried about the shower being in the spa but it was really quite nice to sit and have a shower.
The walk down to the waterfall was beautiful, even if i am a bit sore today.
Thankyou again for a lovely stay and we will be back. Once a country girl always a country girl.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Wow, what lovely feedback!! Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience. We are glad that you enjoyed the cosy fire and champagne. It would have been well deserved after your walk to the falls!! We very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Have a great day! Danielle
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My partner and I spent 1 night at Tree Houses of Montville to celebrate his birthday and it was the perfect getaway. It was so peaceful and quiet which is what we wanted to get away from the hussle and bustle of our busy day to day life. We were warmly welcomed at reception and our cabin already had the fire going so it was cozy right from the start. The surrounding duck ponds, waterfalls and the overall peace and quiet instantly gave us a relaxed feeling, exactly what I planned for our night away. We were given extra kindling for the fire to keep it going and the cheese platter and breakfast hamper was far better than I've experienced in a 5 star hotel. Nothing can explain the feeling of having a glass of wine, feeling the warmth of the fire whilst watching it's shadow dancing on the wall...relaxing in every possible way. We will definelty be staying at Tree Houses of Montville again as it was just perfect in every single way. Thank you for the perfect getaway :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Treehouses, Owner at Tree Houses of Montville, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Hi "Rikazaf"
Many thanks for your lovely review, I am so pleased your partner enjoyed his birthday getaway. Even though we are a short drive from Brisbane it really does feel like you are a looong way from hustle and bustle. I know we only had you for 1 single night but it does feel like longer when you are in such a peaceful environment such as the rainforest.
We look forward to welcoming you both back
Kind regards
Vikki

Been to Tree Houses of Montville? Share your experiences!