“Two Day Break” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Spicers Clovelly Estate

You added Spicers Clovelly Estate to your Saves list
Spicers Clovelly Estate
5.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   68 Balmoral Road, Montville, Queensland 4560, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 13 Montville B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Two Day Break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My wife and I spent two days at this delightful resort. The welcome was warm and the summary of the venue and facilities detailed. Service was obliging and food was a welcome break from standard fare. We enjoyed the Degustation Meal at the Long Table which was extensive in its offering and well presented.
The ambience of the resort was peaceful with extensive views of the Montville region. There were plenty of quiet areas where one could sit and read, or just sit and soak up the atmosphere.
It was close both to Montville and Maleny and the travel from Brisbane in the middle of the day was without serious traffic delays.

Room Tip: Suite 9 was quiet easily accessible and at ground level
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My stay at Spicers was a luxurious way to spend time with my very busy daughter. Food was excellent, spa treatments were good and our room clean and comfortable though a little small for such a big price tag. I Would go again due to the friendly easy attitude of staff.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Gold Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

We had a wonderful girls weekend at Spicers Clovelly, staying in the French Cottage which is a gorgeous freestanding 3 bedroom cottage. The accommodation was exquisite and I really couldn't fault it. It would have been nice to know about the spa being built on the deck though. It certainly wasn't a deal breaker but it was an eyesore. Spent lots of time enjoying the peace and quiet and the luxury of the cottage. Apart from visiting the pool, spa and restaurants, we didn't leave.

The food was a highlight of the trip. The breakfast, made to order is delicious and certainly wasn't rushed.

The degustation menu at The Long Apron is amazing and certainly unique options. Can't say I loved all of the coursesbut they were all explained wonderfully by the staff and came with matching wines. The staff recommended we be there by 7pm to take the time to enjoy all the courses and they were spot on with this advice.

The highlight was our dinner at Spicers Tamarind. Great service, beautiful menu, delicious cocktails and the most amazing food. The prawns were a huge hit as well as their signature crispy skin fish.....where can we get that sauce?!?

This was an amazing weekend and one I'd like to do again and share with my husband. Highly recommend Spicers Clovelly!

Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Cameron M, General Manager at Spicers Clovelly Estate, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Rlh,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. As a luxury hotel we aim to provide our guests with a truly unique experience through attention to detail and personal service, and I am thrilled to read that you felt we exceeded this expectation. The cottage certainly is a great place to have a girls weekend away! I will share your thoughtful comments with my team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Spicers Clovelly in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The Clovelly is a lovely destination. The estate and gardens are picturesque. I was however surprised that the staff were not as warm, organised and efficient as staff I've experienced at other Spicers'. The most disappointing aspect of our stay was the degustation meal at The Long Apron. I think the talented chefs have been too distracted by technique and fashion and have forgotten the diner's taste buds. Most dishes were cold, clammy and confusing. I would however highly recommend a transfer journey to the neighbour Spicer's restaurant Tamarind which I found faultless, interesting and delicious.

Dear Daniel & Alicia,

Thank you kindly for your trip advisor review. We appreciate the time you have taken to review your recent stay with us. Guest feedback is an essential component to continue to maintain and indeed where necessary, improve upon the service that we provide to our valued guests.

I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding your dinner at The Long Apron Restaurant, as we certainly aim to provide an exceptional dining experience. Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations.

It was lovely to read that you felt our gardens were picturesque and how much you enjoyed our sister property in Maleny, Spicers Tamarind Retreat. I hope we may look forward to welcoming you back to Spicers Clovelly Estate and giving us the opportunity to change the adverse impression that was projected on this occasion and to redeem ourselves in your eyes.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed 2 nights mid week. Lovely hotel with stylish rooms set on the hinterland. Had some of the most amazing inventive food in the hotels restaurant, The Long Apron. Staffed by some of the loveliest staff - especially Anna & Stacey. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Cameron M, General Manager at Spicers Clovelly Estate, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Travelmadgirl61,

Firstly I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor about your recent Spicers experience. I really enjoy reading them and I am sincerely grateful when people take the time to provide us with feedback.

It is so lovely to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, in particular the service you received from our team. To provide a place where our guests can completely relax and unwind and feel pampered is our ultimate goal! I am also thrilled how much you enjoyed your dining experience.

I look forward to welcoming you both back for another hinterland getaway in the near future.

Kind Regards

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Had a two night getaway for a special occasion, and Spicers was an easy choice, having been to, and been wowed by, Spicers Peak Lodge and Balfour Hotel before. You simply cannot go wrong choosing Spicers for a relaxing, luxurious and romantic time.

We stayed in the luxury spa suite, which was an enormous room with comfortable lounge area, enormous bed, and oversized marble bathroom. Filled with interesting coffee table books and high end magazines, you could definitely just chill out in the room for a few hours, draped in one of the many comfortable chairs or benches. Alternatively, there are a couple of communal sitting areas scattered across the buildings that are just as inviting, which would be useful for the standard rooms, which looked just as nice, but without their own lounge.

The grounds are spectacular, with well maintained gardens, interesting paths to follow, and fruit trees ripe for the picking. We took advantage of the offer of a picnic lunch and ventured to the far corner of the property (about a ten minute walk), and set up our blanket on the edge of a rainforest area, listening to the creek bubble below. Wonderful.

We also had a great massage included, and enjoyed the pool. There was more than enough to occupy us, even without venturing the three minute drive into Montville itself.

However, there would be room for them to improve. I thought the property lacked the attention to detail of Spicers Peak and Balfour. We used the bikes to go for a ride along the footpath a couple of kilometres, and while the ride was pleasant, the bikes are very poorly maintained. One of the three has brakes that don't work at all, and the two we ended up with were rusty and unwieldy, with mine making a constant high pitched squeal at any speed.

We ate at the Long Apron for breakfast, which was simple but well done, and for dinner which was a bit of a let down and I'll review separately.

In addition, although it is a boutique property with only a handful of guests staying at any time, the service was not as personal as at the other properties, where you are truly made to feel like a personal friend, rather than a customer. There wasn't anything wrong with the service, it just lacked that Spicers 'wow factor'.

Dear Alittlehasrh,

The Team at Clovelly would like to thank you for such a detailed review from your recent stay with us. Spicers Clovelly Estate is indeed a great place to relax and experience the beauty and tranquillity of the Sunshine Coast Hinterland. I am thrilled to read how much you enjoyed the Luxury Spa Suite, it is a stunning luxurious room perfect for a special occasion!

I note your comments regarding the bikes and I do apologies for the experience you had with these. Please be assured that I have followed this up with my team to get this fixed to ensure that the service we provide is beyond the expectations of our guests.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Definitely a property for couples. Would recommend going to sister property Tamarin for dinner as well worth the 10 min drive. Service and food second to none . Clovelly accomm lovely staff friendly very much a homely feeling all very welcoming

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Cameron M, General Manager at Spicers Clovelly Estate, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear General Manger DB,

Thank you kindly for writing a review on Trip Advisor of your recent experience. We appreciate all the wonderful feedback and I am trilled to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us here at Spicers Clovelly Estate. I will most certainly communicate my gratitude to my team for their fantastic effort. It is such a pleasure to have you here and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Kind regards,

Cameron Matthews

Been to Spicers Clovelly Estate? Share your experiences!