“Just Amazing !!” 5 of 5 stars

318 Western Avenue, Montville, Queensland 4560, Australia   |
hobart
“Just Amazing !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Having just stayed four nights in the Avocado cottage, all we can say is PERFECT, PERFECT, PERFECT. The cottage was immaculate, the service friendly and informative, and the views and enviroment spectacular and peaceful. Not even the damp weather couldn't spoil our stay. Thankyou so much to Louise and Trevor, you are wonderful hosts. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Don't under estimate the attractions of Montville and allow yourself plenty of time to explore t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Louise B, Owner at Montville Grove, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thanks for leaving a review of your weekend in Avocado Cottage, James. We're glad you enjoyed the view; it is quite spectacular to look out into the top of that rainforest. We'll pass your comments about the immaculate presentation to our cleaner. We work hard on that aspect of the cottages so it's nice for it to be noticed.

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Fern Cottage is the perfect retreat from city hubbub - and would have been a romantic location as well had I not carelessly left my partner at home! Montville is a charm as is the surrounding area. The cottage was immaculately maintained and extremely private - there is absolutely no sense of being overlooked. All three cottages were occupied when I was there - but I never saw or heard the other guests - just the wind in the trees (and the rain which bucketed down overnight - but lovely to listen to it on the roof). Louise and Trevor are fabulous hosts, and their attention to detail unparalleled. Just about everything you could need is on hand in the cottage and Louise will happily share ideas for excursions and feasting in the local area. Will certainly return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Louise B, Owner at Montville Grove, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thanks for staying with us. We're glad you enjoyed the seclusion of Fern cottage and hope you'll remember to pack your partner next time you visit.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My hubby and I visit Montville Grove each February for our wedding anniversary. It is such a wonderfully peaceful location and Louise, Trevor and Poppy are fantastic hosts! We've always stayed in the Lake Cottage and over the years it only seems to improve :) All the facilities are great and once you arrive all you need to do is relax and enjoy the surroundings. Main street is just a couple of minutes drive down the road and Malaney town centre is about 10 minutes away. I've found that the accommodation packages are always very reasonably priced and Louise always makes sure you've got what you need stocked in the cupboard and fridge. There's a BBQ out on the deck which is great for when you just feel like staying in, alternatively, there are lots of great restaurants and cafe's in the area to explore. We'll be back again for our next anniversary for sure!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Louise B, Owner at Montville Grove, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
It's always nice to see you both, Nikki. We're constantly improving the cottages so we love it when people return and appreciate the improvements.
Gosford, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The Avocado Cottage at Montville Grove is five-star but at a very reasonable price. I would recommend it for couples and/or solo travellers like myself who appreciate pure luxury and fresh produce. It felt like being in a chalet overseas, except the view was totally Australian and the type of view and experience you would want to write home about. This cottage has a large, picturesque window that overlooks the tropical rainforest context of Montville Grove. A photograph could not replicate it, so I didn't bother trying to take one with my basic iphone camera, but I spent quite a bit of time simply staring out the window because I found it to be so relaxing. There are so many different species of birds to discover: I spent ages trying to identify them.
The cottage is possibly the cleanest accommodation I have ever witnessed and the decor is very tasteful, completely modern and well-maintained. Overall, much more was offered than I had expected for the price. It has a fabulous spa bath for soaking away some hours while sipping a glass or two of yummy port that the owners, Louise and Trevor, supplied with the cottage.
You can access every conceivable modern appliance in this fully-equipped cottage, which even has an iPod dock. I loved the touch of the old-fashioned, though, in the wood-fired heater that would be lovely to use in winter. I was sorry it wasn't cold enough to fire it up to experience the cozy glow! As a solo traveller, I was also sorry not to try out the barbecue. It would be great to do a couple of juicy steaks on it and pick some fresh produce from Louise's garden that is free to all guests.

I am very glad that a friend recommended a visit to Montville. I decided to visit as extension of a Sunshine Coast beach getaway weekend but now I'm sorry I didn't stay at the beach as an extension of Montville! Montville is the most delightful little village/town. I should have stayed longer because there was a lot to explore and I felt like I was revisiting rural Germany but in my own country. PS. The ice-cream shop in the village is to die for!

Room Tip: There are three cottages from which to choose and I would suggest you speak to Louise and Trevor abo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Louise B, Owner at Montville Grove, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind comments, Sandra. We're glad you got to see some of the local birdlife. Avocado Cottage is particularly good for bird-watching or just gazing out into the rainforest canopy. We're so lucky to have our own little rainforest. Hope to see you again.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed in Fern Cottage and the rainforest setting was perfect for de-stressing, especially the beautiful view from the spa! Delicious breakfast provisions were provided, the bacon was the best I have ever eaten. Louise and Trevor are excellent hosts, giving us great ideas for local places to visit when we could drag ourselves away from the tranquility of the cottage. I would love to come back and stay in winter to take advantage of the log fire and the wide range of DVDs available.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Louise B, Owner at Montville Grove, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Helen, thanks for your kind comments about Fern Cottage and our breakfast basket. Our butcher, Les, was very pleased when I told him about your comment about the bacon. It costs us a bit more to put local produce in the breakfast hamper but it all tastes so much better. And we love the baker's white sourdough and the Maleny yoghurt and milk so we know it will enhance the experience for our guests too.
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Montville Grove was everything the web site said it would be. It is the final details (in room port, chocolates, home grown avocados etc) that really round the stay off. The chalet was immaculate and the views through the rainforrest to the lake were magic.
Trevor and Louise were perfect hosts and could not do enough for us. I can 100% recommend Montville Grove to anyone wanting that special escape in a wonderful location.

Room Tip: Lake chalet has the best views but all are great
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Louise B, Owner at Montville Grove, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Peter, thanks for taking the time to post a review. We're always interested to know what people appreciate so we can keep improving.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The property has 3 very neat and well presented cottages. It is located about 3kms from the main centre of Montville, with outlooks from each property through the tress down to a lake. The property is very quiet, with each cottage secluded from the others.
The rooms are neat and clean, and the hosts provide everything you could think of to make your stay enjoyable - including wine and a food hamper on arrival. The cottages have a fire place, spa and deck as well as kitchenettes. Highly recommended and reasonably priced for what is offered. The area has lots of outlets for nibbles such as cheeses etc but there isnt a bottle shop in Montville so for a longer stay stock up before you get to town.

Room Tip: The 2 cottages at each end are a little more private than the one in the middle. The Lake cottage is...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Louise B, Owner at Montville Grove, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We're glad you found our cottages quiet and secluded. You raise a good point that we don't have a hotel in Montville but there is a winery and another two cellar doors in Montville, and our nearest hotel is just ten minutes away in Mapleton.

Been to Montville Grove? Share your experiences!