“Convenient” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Zaandijk
DFW, TEXAS
“Convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

After finally finding this hotel we were able to check in right away into our reserved corner room with a view of the river and windmills. The young staff was friendly and tried to accommadate us with a good table in the restaurant but after meeting a delightful British couple who were just biding their time till it was time to catch the train we stayed at our large table facing the river and had a wonderful time and converstion with them before they left to catch the train.
Altho we did not order a large dinner it was decent, the British couple did order a main dinner and said it was delicious, the service was good, we did not have to wait long for our meals or drinks. Our room was large and averagly clean and was very quite at night, did not have a problem sleeping. The day we arrived we went to the excellent bakery across the street and bought some delicous pasteries for munching. Also we were able to park our car within a 30 sec walk from the Hotel. After we checked out in the morning we again went to the bakery and bought some more delicous pastries/bread for breakfast and headed over the bridge to tour Zanse Schans.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river and Zanse Schans
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stop with friends to have a nice lunch and service was terrible!!!!!! Waitress wasn't friendly at all.They never ask if we needed anything from the bar.Food wasn't the best ever.From the moment we step in the waitress was in a hurry to serve us and after that they never service us again.Food was raw,bad odor,taste wasn't what we expected at all. I had to get up to pay because they never when back to the table to give us the ticket.Management wasn't very nice either.I will never recommend none of my friends to visit this restaurant!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
PORTSMOUTH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is a Great Hotel. Very comfortable accommodation and very clean.
Staff are friendly and nothing is to much for them they made our stay very enjoyable.
we have recommended this hotel to friends and intend to return again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Me and my family have bene there for three days 10-12 may 2013. After having known the owner and the pleople working there I can tell you one SIMPLE THING: if you really want to enjoy your vacation in that beautiful area just choose another place! There are many interesting alternatives among which you can choose. I'll report just a couple of episodes to let you understand what I'm talking about: when reserving the room i clearly specified a room for 3 with a 6 years old baby, upon entering the room I discovered a double bed. The answer of the host was: you brought a problem to me and now you just take care of yourself. After a while he added a bed in the room charging 40 € Extra per night!! Infact as a form of revenge he double the usual price of 20€ (a friend of mine payed that amount a couple of weeks before). The morning after i asked SIMPLE tourist information and, after having waited for half an hour (they were busy at the bar??, I was told) they gave me completely wrong information, causing a couple of hours wasted and 20€ (wrong train). We had dinner once. The quality of the food is absolutely normal, nothing special, but the price is incredibly high: one simple steak costa 27€!! The room was dusty and we found hair between the sheets. In the end we strongly suggest that you look for other places around if you don't want to miserably spoil your vacation

• Stayed May 2013
Tauranga, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Great hotel with restaurant attached. We had a room overlooking the bridge and Zaanse Schans great views, peaceful and quiet.

Room was a a perfect size bathroom was clean, marks in carpet, but was obviously cleaned, carpets were a light colour so stains are unavoidable.

Wonderful staff, had a fantastic time, it was great to sit out on the terrace of the bar and watch the boats go by. Brilliant.

I can see how this place is chocka block during summer.

Hotel is within 10 minutes walk of the station that takes you to Amsterdam... brilliant!! only 20min train ride and you are there ..central Amsterdam.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We were a group of 2 couples and my father (86yrs) and stayed here for 2 nights.
We travelled by car from the UK via EuroTunnel, stopping on the way in Gouda (would recommend staying there too) and Brugges on the way home.
This Hotel is in a lovely spot (as you can see from their own website)
There are no rooms on the ground floor so if you have mobility problems you may wish to bear that in mind but the stairs are OK and not too many to access the first floor.
On arrival we discovered that the previous occupant of our room had been smoking! (not permitted by the hotel) and smelt very strongly of stale cigarettes. Although the hotel was fully booked they were able to switch our room, so they get full marks from me for doing that.
The alternative room was smaller but still perfectly adequate.
All our rooms were clean and comfortable and two rooms had lovely views across the water to Zaans Schans (one of our sightseeing destinations, just 5/10 minutes walk from the hotel).
As we were making day trips out we decided to book dinner for both nights in the hotel too.
The food was very good but the menu was quite limited. We would have chosen to eat out if we were staying longer than 2 nights.
Breakfast was not include in our room rate but for 15 euros we had more food than you could possibly eat. A very good continental style selection.
If you are touring or cycling in the northern area of Holland I suggest you stay here, it's a lovely spot.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed two nigth in De Vijf Broers hotel.I have been arround the world and thi shotel is one of the finest places that I have ever been .I recomend if you are going to Amsterdam get this hotel.Staff ,manger ,hotel,enviorment ,food were great .I worth it .Iloved it and I promised myself to go back not once but many time as I have to stop amsterdam in the Airport .I recommned this to all of you .

Great trip and I am glad I made it to thi snice place

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to D' Vijf Broers? Share your experiences!