“lovely food - watch out for toilet thieves” 4 of 5 stars

You added Prince of Wales to your Saves list
Prince of Wales
Dunkerton Hill, Peasedown St John BA2 8PF, England   |
Midsomer Norton, United Kingdom
“lovely food - watch out for toilet thieves”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

attended 1:30 PM Wednesday 22 January 2014

Unusually, I have read the other reviews before writing this one. Normally I just steam ahead. There is such a polarity here I wonder if people are writing about the same place but on further reflection I think I can understand.

The young man who served us behind the bar was absolutely brilliant. We popped in for lunch having been attracted by the offer of Philipino food as well as UK food. I had a very generous shoulder of lamb, and other half had a sea bass cooked Philipino style.

I popped into the admittedly clean toilet but noticed something I've never seen before in an establishment such as this in the Western Hemisphere, the toilet had no seat. There was the porcelain in all its glory so those gentlemen were small bottoms would simply slip down. I was too surprised to ask what had happened to it, not the sort of thing you ask in such a place so maybe someone stole it in the night.

I think I can understand the negative comments. Graham who I assume was the joint owner appeared behind the bar. He showed no reaction whatsoever to me, no smile, no welcome, no nothing. This is one unhappy guy. It is not my business to guess why, but the simple fact is that he just does not like people.

This is the type of business where you need to like people or at least fake an interest in them but in this case so far as I was concerned he did not bother to make the effort for reasons we shall never know.

They do a good Sunday lunch for £7.95 and I think I may well make a return for what I say again was an excellent meal experience.

I paid £36.35 for two generous main courses, drinks, and an utterly over the top chocolate treacle pudding with lashings of custard.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Galway, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Glad i only had the one night in this place, the owner needs a lesson in hospitality, didn't get to meet his wife as she was probably chained to the kitchen sink,( probably a very nice person) upon arrival there was no warm welcome, and the owner was not very helpful with any questions we asked.
after a long day in bath shopping we arrived back and later in the night ( around 9pm) we went down to the bar for a few drinks it was empty, no atmosphere, very little chat from the owner, the only people that did come into the bar was other guests, (keeping in mind this was a saturday night) at 11:00pm he asked everyone did they want a last drink and soon enough the place was empty.
The room itself was ok but could do with a bit of work, very out dated. There was mould and damp around the window and the tiling in the en-suite was poor, tiles missing under the wash hand basin and odd tiles patching holes in the wall. The radiator only got half warm as there was air in it and needed to be bled.
In the morning we went for breakfast (7-9 am) no sunday lie in! we arrived down to the pub and sat in the same area as the other guests, picked a table in a corner to have a quiet chat but were moved to another table by the owner as he was too lazy to move two forks and two knifes!
I ordered a full english with tea and toast, the tea arrived 30 minutes before the breakfast and had to order another tea when the breakfast eventually came out which was almost cold and very small (one egg and one sausage). After breakfast we had to part with money for our one night stay, which is very difficult when its £75 and so poor. I will not grace the doors of this place again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Peasedown St John hotels

Fort Collins
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I had such a good time a the Prince of Wales while visiting Bath. It's located a short bus ride from the town center, or you can drive close to town and park just outside and walk in. Parking in Bath is a little tricky but doable if you locate one of the long term parking lots.

The Prince of Wales has several en suite rooms upstairs and an excellent bar and restaurant downstairs. The Filipino dishes are AMAZING, and I returned to eat there as often as I could during my stay. The atmosphere was cozy, relaxing, and welcoming. As a woman traveling alone, I really enjoyed coming down to the bar/restaurant area every evening and having a cider while I waited for my dinner. There was always some other guests or patrons to chat with and both Clarissa and Graham made me feel like an old friend.

I was able to book two separate times during my stay and will definitely go back to stay again when I get back to England.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Would like to say the food was very nice but the attitude of the guy who runs the pub ruined this...No please or thank you when he asked us to move the highchair just a very aggressive tone used and again when we asked about the child's dessert!!!...then when I told him how we felt after the meal he shrugged his shoulders and walked away!!...Will never go near this place again!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Ryde, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Graham and Clarissa were the most hospitable, gentle, people that we have had the pleasure of staying with. Both myself, my wife, son and partner experienced a most delightful stay at a country inn which exudes a friendly and caring welcome.
We were exceptionally comfortable and enjoyed a superbly quiet and relaxing evening.
The restaurant - for six of us - provided us with superb food, which was cooked to perfection and gave us some welcome new taste experiences.
We cannot recommend highly enough this establishment, if you want to enjoy pleasant and delightful accommodation just outside Bath.
We will be returning!! Many thanks.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I have posted pictures which show the level of cleanliness in the room. The outside of the pub was also unkempt. The room appeared recently wallpapered but here was a layer of dust on the kettle lid, a very thick layer of dust on the bathroom architrave and on the skirting boards. The towels and bed linen were clean although the pillows smelled of "sweaty head" (there were 2 in the room) so I wrapped my pillow in a towel so I could sleep on it. The hairdryer is not near a mirror so I had to flit between the two when drying my hair. We also had an invasion of flies when we opened the bedroom window when we first checked in and although we managed to kill most of them, some were still flying around the next morning. I mentioned this on check out and the response was "I will have to get out the fly spray" - I would have thought an investigation into the source of the flies would have been more appropriate? and the parting shot was "it could have been worse, it could have been wasps". On the plus side the bed was comfy and the location is handy for the park and ride into Bath.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

A friendly country inn. Homely food. Comfy bed. Lots of easy parking. This is basic comfort. The inn could benefit from updating, but then rooms would cost more and this is budget style. Value for money at the price. It is on a main route south of Bath giving access to surrounding areas. There is a bus to Bath, so you could leave your car to go exploring in hectic and confusing Bath. I was happy to escape to the country!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Prince of Wales? Share your experiences!