“Basic but good” 4 of 5 stars

Dunkerton Hill, Peasedown St John BA2 8PF, England   |
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Basic but good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Maybe we're spoiled but we found this B&B pretty basic on amenities and size, BUT the food was excellent. We had dinner the evening we arrived and it was delicious. We would be glad to eat there frequently. Service in the dining room was excellent. The room was fairly small, no wi fi, only one place to sit, but it was adequate. We were glad we were only stayin one night, it was pretty cramped. Would I stay there again? Probably would, nice people, excellent food.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

We only came here for food so cannot comment on the rooms. this was our 4th visit as a family group (6adults, 2 children). each time the food has been very good. Everyone enjoyed their food, lots of good quality pub dishes, well presented and good size portions. The Filipino menu in particular is excellent, I have not been disappointed by any of the dishes which are always well presented and bursting with freshness and flavour. The young staff member serving us was polite and the service efficient. Price was good for the food. It is a shame that the place is not busier and I honestly don't understand why, yes the interior decor is a little tired but the quality of the Filipino menu far outweighs this. If this was a Filipino restaurant in Bath city centre it could charge double and would be very busy. if you are looking for something to eat which is a bit different, try it.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We only stayed the one night, but we were very impressed. The owners obviously care about what they do. The room was small, but that didn't bother us, just mentioning it for information, but we only stayed one night. The room was newly decorated, so looked fresh, modern, but restful. It was warm, with a nice-sized, very clean bathroom with a bath and a shower over the bath. The whole place was very clean. There were nice little attentions to detail, for example, mini tubes of toiletries in the room - a rarity these days, I find - and a proper little dish to put used teabags, etc, on the breakfast table and plenty of tea/coffee/sugar in the room. Breakfast was wonderful - I had a full English (1 x bacon, 1 x egg, 1 x sausage, beans, 1 x potato hash brown, whole tomato, mushrooms) which was all perfectly cooked and I enjoyed it immensely. There was also toast and cereal. You could have any combination of breakfast that you liked - I noted that other guests had scrambled eggs on toast, bacon sandwiches, etc - the lovely lady cooking (I think she was the owner) didn't seem to mind what you had and I also noted everyone was offered more, including me who had just had a massive breakfast!

There was a Filipino evening menu, as well as an English menu, but we did not try this, as we had already eaten, so I cannot comment.

There was a definite sense of care and hospitality about the place and I would definitely go back.

It's an old pub, so it is not sleek, polished and modern. But it's clean, comfortable, warm and welcoming and the breakfast is great. I thought it was good value for Bath and what we got for our money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road. Also ask for their biggest room if you are staying more than one...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hailsham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We only stayed here for one night which was enough. The room was nicely decorated and clean. However there are a few things that could ave made our stay better. Firstly we didn't even get to meet the owners or if we did see them we weren't introduced. The person that took us to our room didn't offer to take my bag despite me struggling with it up the stairs. The water in the shower was luke warm and the option we got for breakfast was a full english...no choice of tyoes of egg etc despite other guests being offered the option after us :(
Ok for just the one night.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights whilst husband was in above hospital. Very comfortable bed, although cushions a bit dodgy. Amenities in bathroom good and the shower was powerful with plenty hot water. Clean towels everyday. Wasn't sure if needed to stay extra night and Graham was very happy for me to stay if necessary at short notice. Breakfast adequate for me. Dinner excellent. Couldn't find fault at all with anything. Would definately recommend and I would stay again should the need arise. Thanks to Clarissa and Graham.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Rochester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We spent a night here on our way home from Wales.

The pub was nice a quiet, good parking and easy to find. Was great by a young chap who was polite and helpful.

The room was very clean and bright, the curtains were a bit thin but that is a minor point. The view from our room across the countryside was lovely. Bed and towels lovely and clean. Lots of infomation for guests about buses and things to see and do which I thought was great. I was woken up at 12.30 by a dog whining outside, I have dogs anyway and so thought I was at home and my dogs needed me, this didn't last too long and my partner slept right through.

What we LOVED about this place was the food. We ate in the restaurant in the evening. My partner ate English and I had Fillopeano, WOW gorgeous.

Will happily stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3 - small but comfy and everything you would need.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

just had a one night stay here as we were visiting friends So glad we found this place,lovely clean well furnished room ,decorated in restful colours plenty of hot water in the shower.Had a meal with our friends in the restaurant which was really .My husband and myself tried the fillipino food which was lovely,excellent breakfast in the mornong.Hope we will make a return visit in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Prince of Wales? Share your experiences!