“Oldest Inn in Scotland, complete with graffitti by Robbie Burns” 4 of 5 stars

You added Kenmore Hotel to your Saves list
Kenmore Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4 The Square, Kenmore PH15 2NU, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kenmore
“Oldest Inn in Scotland, complete with graffitti by Robbie Burns”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Some reviewers have commented that the Kenmore Hotel is a little "dated". Considering they list the start of business as 1564, you shouldn't be surprised. I expect the building on site now is something newer than 1564. The Poet's Bar was apparently in place when Robbie Burns dropped by in the 1700's as he wrote a poem in that bar--right on the wall--and it's still there, with a piece of protective glass over it. Not something every bar can claim! They have a nice selection of whiskeys and a knowledgable bartender, too.
The wi-fi worked great in the lobby but not in our 2nd floor room. Considering the charms of the place, I didn't mind taking the tablet to the lobby (or to the bar...).
The rooms are modern enough and the plumbing is top-notch. The restaurant food and service were great and the setting is beautiful.
Be sure to go to the Crannog Centre just down Loch Tay. Very interesting

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

The Kenmore Hotel is in a beautiful location, right next to the Loch. Staff were friendly and helpful and the dinner we had in the restaurant was very good. However, a couple of issues marred our stay. I ensure all hotels and B&B's that I stay in have wi-fi, a prerequisite I check prior to booking. The Kenmore listed wi-fi as available for guests, but on arrival it turned out that unless you were standing in a particular room of the hotel you had little or no chance of reception. Certainly we couldn't get any reception in our room. Okay, a minor put-out... until we discovered that the wi-fi, even in the aforementioned room, didn't work at all. When querying reception I was informed that there'd been a problem with the wi-fi all day... yet no one had bothered trying to fix it it seemed. Not good.

The only other niggle (and I appreciate this is somewhat beyond the Kenmore's control) were the inconsiderate $&@#! who thought it was okay to blast their way into the hotel at 3am in the morning and sounded like they were coming through the ceiling above our room. The room we stayed in also looked a bit dated - in need of some refurbishment.

All in all, quite a nice hotel but could be better.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
AuroraHotels, personal assistant at Kenmore Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
I am Personal Assistant to the Chief Executive of The Aurora Hotel Collection. We would be very interested to hear more about your experience and would appreciate it if you could email me on isla.macfarlane@aurorahotelcollection.com so we can talk futher. Should you not wish to contact me at this time, please contact me should you wish to book again with The Aurora Hotel Collection. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind Regards Isla
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed locally at Strathtay but worth the drive to Kenmore to eat here. Made very very welcome by the barman upstairs who suggested as I said we were not very hungry that we went downstairs to the bar and ate on the verandah overlooking the River Tay. On checking out the menu my husband and I had starters and mains and the Steak Pie is beatiful and my husband really enjoyed the Rib Eye Steak. Beautiful view of the old bridge and the river and the staff are very friendly and attentive. Just need to nip into the bar when the sun goes down and the bugs come out! We still went back twice though! There is also a posher restaurant upstairs if you feel like splashing out.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Pitlochry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Believe this hotel has been taken over recently and have only one comment to make about the food we received as guests at this wedding .......FANTASTIC !!!!! Will be back for lunch soon ! The hotel was spotless and the staff were falling over each other to be helpful .We only live half an hours drive away in Pitlochry but the location and ambiance of the area is beautiful and we really felt we were on holiday !! Totally recommend this hotel

Fife
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Originally booked for 2 nights but enjoyed ourselves so much we booked an extra night. I must admit we were a bit concerned about the mixed reviews the hotel received but as it was a last minute trip it was the only accomodation available in the area. We were not dissapointed however. The accomodation was comfortable and clean. We were out most of the time and only wanted a clean and comfortable bed in which to collapse into. On the first evening we ate in the main dining room, apart from the amazing views we also had one of the best meals we have eaten in ages. My husband had venison, which was perfectly cooked, I had the lamb with the most flavoursome red wine jus, our son had a steak which was also cooked to his perfection. This was followed by creme brulee, which I love but am usually dissapointed with, again we all thouroughly enjoyed our puddings.The staff were attentive, but not intrusive, which I prefer. At breakfast time they were pleasant and helpful. Although not a huge selection to choose from fruit wise, there was a perfectly good selection of " full english breakfast,"cereals and porridge. One evening we ate in the Courtyard, just a short walk from the hotel on the other side of the bridge. The food was cheaper and adequate, but not to the standard of our meal in the Kenmore. On our last evening we ate in the bar. We had mussels, french fries and a glass of white wine. It was perfect and very reasonably priced. It was such a relaxing time and we found the staff to be friendly and helpful.
One lunchtime we ate at the
If you don't want to sit around and admire the views there is so much to do, were able to enjoy clay pidgeon shooting nearby and also fishing. We hired bikes, from the cabin by the Loch (3 min walk from hotel) There you are also able to hire speed boats and canoes. There was also horse riding and a company that organised Highland Safaris. We would deffinitely return for a weekend as the peace and tranquility did us all a power of good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

The Kenmore hotel is in a fabulous location. Beautiful views across the river Tay from the restaurant. Unfortunately both meals we had there (dinner and breakfast) fell far below the standards we expected from the prices being charged. The food was OK - good but not great.
But is was the slow and inattentive staff that let the place down. We had to wait for far too long to get served both times (and that was with the place less than 25% full). It was almost impossible to catch a waiter's eye.
I dread to think how long a meal would take if they were busy! Oh an no kippers for breakfast!?
Seems to me the place is relying too much on its reputation. Beware.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
AuroraHotels, Manager at Kenmore Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We didn't stay at this hotel but we did go for lunch and a drink in the bar and also used the beer garden. The Poet's Bar is a delight - warm, cosy and friendly. Dogs are very welcome in the bar. The beer garden is on the waterfront and lovely on a sunny day - but you might get mobbed by ducks!

We had sandwiches for lunch which were excellent, as was the local real ale.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kenmore Hotel? Share your experiences!