“Amazing stay and perfect place for my proposal” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Devonshire Arms Country House Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
The Devonshire Arms Country House Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   on the B6160 road, Bolton Abbey BD23 6AJ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Bolton Abbey
“Amazing stay and perfect place for my proposal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Stayed here on the 7th January 2014 as a surprise for my girlfriend and to propose to her. We arrived and a member of staff helped with our bags. We were shown around the hotel and to our room which was the Littondale 4 poster and the room was called the Wharfedale, we were upgraded from the Nidderdale to the Littondale free of charge by the team when I emailed them and told of my intention of proposing at the hotel. The room was lovely and quaint and to me exuded quality.

I cannot fault the hotel one bit, the staff were amazing as well as the best meal I have ever had in the Burlington Restaurant. Ben the waiter in there was so professional and had an amazing knowledge of the wine and food, I'm sure he will do very well in his career. The lady in the Cocktail lounge was so nice also and when she found out we had just got engaged took us to the Cocktail lounge again for complimentary Rose Champaign and talked to us for over an hour which we really enjoyed.

I would recommend anyone to go here to have an amazing experience you will never forget.

Room Tip: Room from the Littondale up are the ones to go for, expensive but to me worth every penny.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

732 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

This was our most expensive and disappointing hotel stay of 2013 and we did a lot of short breaks. We were staying in a £500 a night suite as a birthday treat - all three of our birthdays fell over our three night stay.

None of what I am about to write applies to the Burlington restaurant. The staff were professional, friendly and incredibly good at their job. The food was exceptional.

The staff in the hotel were at the other extreme to the Burlington. They were rude, lazy and didn’t really know anything about the hotel. The surly woman at the front desk made us feel anything but welcome. The staff on the front desk continued to get things wrong throughout our stay. They could not even comprehend that my husband and I had different surnames even though we reminded them several times.

On arrival, no one welcomed us or helped us with our bags. My then 3 year old son carried his own bag, my husband made 3 journeys with no offer of help. Whilst checking in I asked if we could use the pool, we were told it was closing but Joseph could use it first thing in the morning. I later read that there time restrictions for children.

Once settled in the room we realised that the ice in the ice bucket had completely melted and that there were only two water glasses, two sets of towels, two biscuits and two apples, despite there being three of us.

The rooms were never cleaned properly we even found the water glasses left by the bed from the night before.

I would not recommend the intercom service. We dined at the Burlington on the second evening whilst eating we saw the receptionist walk past us several times. Our son is a really good sleeper and was almost 4. I would not have felt comfortable leaving a younger child and I don’t understand how this can be called a baby minding service unless someone is there listening the whole time. When we collected our dog from the front desk there was no one there. We asked about this the next evening and were told that when people arrive at the hotel the front desk staff are needed to show people to their rooms and at night there is only one person on.
Three members of staff watched whilst I carried all our luggage out to the car, only on my fourth trip did the front desk manager open the door for me (with still no offer to get a porter or carry anything himself). Finally on inspection of the bill it was wrong.

Individually the points are relatively minor apart from the child monitoring service (I suspect there may be legal issues with leaving reception unattended whilst in a “duty of care” situation) and if we had been staying at a Travelodge I would have accepted them all. However I expected much better at the Devonshire arms. For the price we paid I had high expectations of service but the reality was we spent most of our time and money out of the hotel because we didn’t feel very welcome. We have since stayed at 2 cheap Holiday Inn hotels- the service far surpassed our stay at the Devonshire arms and the average nightly cost was only £70 for BBD!

I was asked to fill in a questionnaire about out visit on our return home, which I did. We were subsequently offered a free stay, which we declined.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Beautiful location,food excellent but not quite enough.Rooms well decorated and very clean but not really large enough for the cost,240 pounds B and B is a bit excessive for such small bedrooms.Really expected a larger bed than just a double for this cost.
Staff were excellent and very cheerful at all times,good facilities within the hotel,boots,jackets ect to enable you to walk at all times and admire the beautiful location.
A very nice country hotel

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew M, General Manager at The Devonshire Arms Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Iain m
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
It was nice to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were well looked after by all the team.
I was sorry to see that you felt your room was not as big as you had hoped for, perhaps on your next visit we can make sure you get one of our larger rooms.
Kind regards
Andrew
Harrogate, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I would like to warn future guests at this hotel. My handbag was taken from our looked bedroom on New Years Eve. There is no security box in the bedroom so I left the bag on the bed. I had to initiate a phone call to the police who visited me within 2hours at 10am. The General Manager spoke to me at 245pm. and vehemently supported his staff to the extent that gave me the feeling that I was making up the whole incident. My bag contained little money but I have lost keys, cards and very personal things of no value. My special treat was ruined and I did not enjoy the rest of the break.I am out of pocket about £1000 replacing bag,keys cards.
Dorothy

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
When this lady first came to us saying that her handbag was missing, along with her assertion that a member of staff had taken it, we were naturally very concerned indeed. The members of staff who serviced the room have a total of fifteen years of unblemished service here and there was nothing remarkable about the handbag or its contents, so it seemed odd.

We all agreed that it was best to call in the police. When they examined the matter and interviewed the guests concerned and the members of staff, they drew the conclusion that it was highly unlikely that the handbag was taken by a member of staff.

Andrew Mackay
Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed New Year here. The staff we attentive, knowledgable and courteous but at the same time very friendly. The food was excellent, and we enjoyed eating in the brasserie and the Burlington restaurant.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We arrived at the Devonshire Arms in time for coffee and were welcomed into a lounge with a flaming fire, comfortable sofas and arm chairs, and the calming, hushed atmosphere of quiet enjoyment as other guests shared the space. Our coffee was excellent and accompanied by delicious home-made shortbread and cookies. The service was discreet and helpful. All in all, a delightful experience on a blustery day!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We try to get to the Devonshire Arms once a quarter for a bit of fine dining, good wine and great service.

On our last 2 visits, though, we felt as though the shine was starting to wear off...

Nothing was terrible, and I still think it is a great restaurant and inn, but the following were examples of minor issues that I think represent a drop in their standards across the board:

- a fish course included crab meat which had shell in - nearly lost a filling! One fragment of shell I could understand, but my wife found pieces in her dish as well. We brought it to the attention of the staff when they came to take our plates (with the unfinished crab portion of the dish on the plate) and all we got was a fairly terse apology from the waiter. I was especially surprised as they had recently brought in a new head chef.

- cocktails at the bar were awful (the bar tender had no idea how to make a Martini).

- different member of waiting staff every time a plate was lifted from or placed on the table on our most recent visit.

- long periods with empty wine glasses but bottle (not at the table) unfinished.

- error on the bill.

- unacceptably long wait for cooked breakfast (30 mins), and had to ask 4 times for coffee.

As I said, none of these in themselves would be enough for me to complain. But, having had impeccable service and food so many times before I am concerned by the apparent 'attention to detail' issues that seem to not just represent 'a bad night'. It is still a Yorkshire gem, and I will certainly revisit, but would not do so at the full price.

Room Tip: Wharfedale rooms are small and can be overlooking car park. If you are in a Wharfedale room try to g...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Devonshire Arms Country House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!