“Lovely stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Begelly B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed here in August. Really lovely staff. Buffet breakfast just brilliant. Plenty of choice and can have as much as you like. Restaurant where you eat is really pleasant and clean. Our room was great too. There was a function going on on the Saturday night with live music which did not bother us but could keep some people awake.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Rhondda, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Booked a one night stay to visit the nearby Folly Farm Wurlitzer Organ Recital (Nigel Ogden) The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough to help. Cracking real ale and despite its modern appearance due to renovation it still retains a warming pub atmosphere. Spotlessly clean and my wife and I were very happy with the food provided. We were also pleased that they managed to fit us in at short notice for an early evening meal to enable us to get to our concert in plenty of time. When we returned we were treated to a live artist performing in the lounge area. Bedrooms were spacious and clean and rounded of an altogether great experience. Being a proud Welshman, I'm always pleased when places such as this promote Wales as a great, friendly place to visit.
The only one criticism was that the buffet style breakfast bar didn't keep the food warm; we mentioned the fact on checking out and the staff seemed genuinely sorry, as we were told, if we had brought it to their attention they would have dealt with it. The location is superb and I would certainly recommend this hotel without any fear.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Haverfordwest, Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Booked to eat the Sunday carvery as recommended by some friends. On arrival we were really pleased with the lovely setting and the facility is top class. Lo and behold that joy was soon to change.
After being seated, I went up to the bar to order our meals (2 or 3 courses) and a drink. I was served reasonably quickly by Angela without any problems, however whilst at the bar there was some barman trying very hard to be "look the part", however when a customer came up to the bar to ask for the sweets menu, he pointed him to the sweets behind the bar, not so clever after all Mr Barman.
I then returned to our table with our drinks and waited and waited and waited for somebody to come over to take my starter order, to no avail so I went up to the bar to order such.
After waiting for ever, my better half and her mum went ahead to collect their main course because they could not wait any longer and were hungry.
In all fairness when my starter did arrive, it was really lovely and I would recommend the Calamari.
Now for the really sad part. The main course was absolutely awful. The beef was so tough that our dog would not even eat the doggy bag we took out for him because we could not eat the meat. The turkey was dry and tasteless and hey no pork but a new Sunday roast replacement for pork, ham from a tin. The vegetables were all obviously all frozen veg (aunty bessies) excepting for the boiled new potatoes(not rocket science to cook), Once again Auntie Bessies best frozen Yorkshire pudding was served. The gravy was like water with a bit of flavouring chucked in. By the way if you are a meat lover beware the miserable cook is very keen to stretch the meat out for as many customers and will give you a little more if you ask but he will not smile even if you do try to enlighten him.
After we ate our mains there was no table clearing and we had to pile our plates up to wait for the two ice creams which we ordered and waited that long to arrive that once again we had to summons somebody to fetch it from the kitchen.
It is so very obvious that no staff training had ever taken place and the place desperately needs a proper chef and not just a cook.
Staff were standing around whilst tables remained uncleared between courses and there should have been a front of house manager guiding the whole "dining experience" because the poor older guy at the front, although a nice man, clearly had no idea how to manage the customer experience.
As an ex publican myself, I wanted to get up and show them how to "do it" properly.
It's so sad to see owner of establishments who obviously don't know what they are doing, running a restaurant incorrectly when the potential is massive, even to the extent that customers will pay more if the experience and the food is worth it?
So very sad that we will not be returning as presently the place is a joke.

cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 1 night on 28 th aug had a family room, room could of slept 5 my son was really excited to sleep on a top bunk bed :-), beds comfy linin clean n soft rooms clean, we ate in the restaurant staff very friendly great with our boy(age5) service good and the food very good best fillet steak I've had! Breakfast was good service very slow only 1 lady workin doin the job of a few we were 1st down so not 2 bad for us, overall a lovely place if they had a children's play area would had a 5 from us, thanks for a great stay :-)

• Stayed August 2013
Cowbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

After reading a previous review that was not pleasant was worried about staying , but this place is a gem, lovely staff, very clean accommodation, fab food, very child friendly, comfortable beds, soft towels , breakfast was superb and the carvery was divine..my shower unfortunately broke , reported it 5 minutes later the chappy came and it was fixed within 15 minutes..cant ask for more , defo rebooking

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Booked this after reading the great reviews online and we had an OK to stay. My main complaint would be that the chalets do not have curtains but very thin cream vertical blinds which don't do much to block out the light! After not been pre-warned of a private function that went until midnight, been woken up with sunlight in the early hours did not make for a good nights sleep! There just seemed to be missing attention to detail (sand in the shower, kettle too big to fit in sink to refill, bedside table missing bulb etc) and the staff that were on seemed rather rushed off their feet (were also overheard complaining of this) and rather distracted. Food was good (but menu in room didn't match menu in restaurant). First day wasn't a lot of breakfast left and it was cold but we were probably one of the last ones there. The location is very handy, just maybe needs a little bit more attention to detail and would be a fab place to stay. Might just be because it was a bank holiday weekend. In fairness didn't raise any of the above with the manager as didn't seem like a lot that could be done about it (e.g. lack of curtains) but did write something similar on the feedback form.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

After reading the positive reviews before booking I was looking forward to my stay here but I was very disappointed. The carpet was just dirty (badly stained) leading up to my room (no1) in the main building which wasn't a good impression. Once in the room the window had been left wide open and the bathroom smelt strongly of detergent which made me wonder what had happened in there but explained why it was being 'aired'. The bathroom itself was very basic, dirty lino and had the feel and smell of a nursing home. It was hard to turn the tap on without getting soaked, the pressure was so strong. Only one bedside light was working and the clock radio unplugged. Although the bedding was clean, the bed itself was literally rock hard and the and it was basically the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in with no 'give' whatsoever.
In the morning I looked at the shower and noticed about 5 or 6 hairs dotted in the cubicle so it hadn't even been rinsed which was very unappealing. A buzzing noise started in the bathroom at which point I went to find the manager who was photographing the tractor convention which had rolled into the car park that morning. He did eventually fix the noise and the bedside lamp by playing about with the wiring.
I went to a wedding that day and when I got back after dropping various off at their hotels as I was driving at 1am the place was completely locked up. I hadn't been informed of any curfew or told anything in fact when I checked in other than where my room was. If I had had my belongings I would have driven back to London right then but without them I had no choice but to sleep in my car (only marginally less comfortable than the bed to be fair but cold) and wait for guests to leave at 7.30 the next morning so I could get in again. When I did get back in my room the buzzing had started again and the kettle was no longer working either! I packed my bags, left my key on the empty reception desk and was glad to get back home as soon as I could.
I cannot recommend this hotel and only wish there had been availability at my friends' hotel the Manion Lodge. I won't be going back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
SimonJC42, General Manager at The Begelly Arms Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
We already responded to this review but for some reason Trip advisor chose to remove our response. In short in our opinion this has been posted on behalf of one of our competitors who are as stated in the review friends of the reviewer. The review contains comments which are wholly untrue specifically the bedside light wasn't broken just not switched on, and the door to the accommodation is never locked at night.

Been to The Begelly Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!