We've been to Twycross twice in the last 5 years with our two young sons, we enjoyed seeing the giraffes and sea lions last time, but they've gone! After our visit today, we feel very disappointed.
1. The main reason for our visit was the dinosaur exhibition. The models were quite good, but I think more imagination could have been used to make this area much more interactive and attractive for little ones.
2. Expensive entry fee, we had seen all the animals after 2 hours.
3. Even with the map we kept losing our way and had to tediously retrace our steps often.
4. The general areas, animals and enclosures looked neglected.
5. Lots of enclosures seemed empty. More effort needs to be made so that we can actually see the animals, otherwise their captivity seems pointless. The tropical house was closed.
6. Lack of signage.
7. Lack of interesting events - feeding, educational talks, meet the animals, interactive areas.
8. Wasps made our lunch a disaster. There was a cloud of wasps around every bin. Why not have closed bins? Put out some wasp traps, and look for the nests.
More care and attention need to be given to the animals and their environment. We recently went to Newquay zoo and weren't expecting too much because of its small size, but it was a beautifully maintained and well-thought out zoo, with a lot of staff looking after the animals and giving us interesting information. Twycross could learn a lot from it.
If you own or manage Twycross Zoo, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.